BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-16-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
Ghines1279
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
2004 X3 3.0l Cranks no start when below 70

Good morning, I was active over on the E90 side when I had one, I see there is not a lot of activity here on the older E83's. Searched a lot of different threads on here and bimmerforums, finally need to reach out and get some outside help. My wifes X3 doesn't like to start when it gets below 70. Which isn't usually a problem in south Florida for most of the year except now. When I go to turn the car on, turn it to the second position so the fuel pump primes, I get a clicking that sounds like its in the dash or maybe the engine compartment for 10-15 seconds (maybe unrelated, however this only happens when its cold and I know the car wont start). I go to start it and it just cranks. ill give it a few tries and nothing. turning the car off and back on to the second position wont reproduce the clicks or the fuel pump prime, so I got out of the car and locked it waited 10 seconds and got back in and turned it to the second position again and I got a couple of clicks from the dash/engine but not as many or as long as the first time. Go to start it and it kicks over, however it has a surging idle goes up to 2000 and back down. Let it run like that for a minute, turn it off and back on, same thing, surging idle. Get out of the car, lock, wait 10 seconds, unlock, turn to position 2, no clicks, fuel pump primes, turn it over and it starts fine. Doesn't throw a code with my hand reader. I'm thinking at this point to replace the fuel relay, maybe its getting stuck when its cold, but would love to hear what someone else's opinion before I start chasing gremlins and exorcising demons. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 09:50 PM   #2
CanadaeastKTM
Rep
Drives: Soon to buy X3

Not an expert or a mechanic but from other cars in the past and bikes, clicking usually means dead battery. Have you tried a new battery? Might be a quick and easy fix.
Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 07:07 AM   #3
Ghines1279
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaeastKTM View Post
Not an expert or a mechanic but from other cars in the past and bikes, clicking usually means dead battery. Have you tried a new battery? Might be a quick and easy fix.
Good luck.
Thanks, the car cranks over but wont start until I get the clicking under the dash when the ignition is on to stop. Its hard to troubleshoot because it is random and only when below 70. I was able to track down the clicking and it sounds like its coming from the DISA valve area, I took it out and it appears to be functioning properly.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 06:40 PM   #4
CanadaeastKTM
Rep
Drives: Soon to buy X3

Difficult to tell but clicking and low temperature can often be associated to battery. You could always just take the battery into one of those auto stores that will test the voltage for free.
Process of elimination.
Appreciate 0