BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-26-2018, 03:15 PM   #1
supreetsingh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i - 2013

BMW X3 35i 2013 - Warranty Company not covering the repair - HELPP !!

Guys,

Need your help. I have the below repair to be done and my warranty company is not covering that. Please let me know as i can see its there in my package listed below with GOLD Plan - Items 4.1 to 4.15

Diagnosis $157.50

Replace Valvetronic Servo Motor 7hrs @ 105/hr =$735

Valve cover gasket set $140

Valvetronic Servo motor $530

4.1 ENGINE: Engine Block and Cylinder Head(s) (when damaged from within, excluding damage as a result of overheating regardless of
cause) and all internally lubricated parts including: crankshaft and main bearings, connecting rods and bearings, camshafts and bearings,
timing chains and gears, timing chain guides, pistons, rings and wrist pins, intake and exhaust valves, valve springs and retainers, rocker arms,
shafts and pivots, push rods, hydraulic lifters, oil pump, dipstick and tube.
Additional Coverage for Platinum Products Only: Intake and exhaust manifolds, timing belt tensioner and cover, harmonic balancer and
pulley, valve covers, engine mounts and all seals and gaskets used to contain fluids and lubricants within the above described parts.

4.2 TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE: (RWD/FWD) a) Automatic: Case (when damaged from within) and all internally lubricated parts including
torque converter. b) Manual: Case (when damaged from within) and all internal parts. EXCLUDING: manual clutch disc, pressure plate and
release bearing, shifter, external linkages, slave cylinder, flexplate and flywheel.
Additional Coverage for Platinum Products Only: Powertrain control module, shift control sensors, transmission cooler, mounts, oil pan and
all seals and gaskets used to contain fluids and lubricants within the above described parts.

4.3 DIFFERENTIAL(S) (including auxiliary differential)/ TRANSFER CASE: (RWD/AWD/4WD): Housing/Case (when damaged from within) and all
internal parts including differential cover.
Additional coverage for Platinum Plans only: Locking hubs, drive shafts and universal joints, axle shafts and constant velocity joints, center
support bearings, front wheel bearings and 4WD/transfer case actuator and all seals and gaskets used to contain fluids and lubricants within the
above described parts.

4.4 ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE: We will reimburse you up to $50 (fifty) per occurrence to an aggregate maximum of $250 (two hundred and fifty)
Canadian dollars (including taxes) for the following events: Winching Coverages, Battery Boosting, Emergency Fuel Delivery (max.10 litres), Flat
Tire Coverage and Vehicle Entry Assistance. Valid receipts must be submitted for reimbursement.

4.5 TOWING: We will reimburse you up to $50 (fifty) Canadian dollars per occurrence to an aggregate total of $200 (two hundred) Canadian
dollars including all taxes for towing expenses incurred due to a mechanical breakdown covered under this contract. Valid receipts must be
submitted for reimbursement.

4.6 SEALS AND GASKETS: All those used to contain fluids and lubricants within the covered parts.

4.7 TURBOCHARGER: Manufacturer installed (OEM) only: Housing (when damaged from within) and all internal parts including intercooler, waste
gate controller and hard lines.

4.8 SUPERCHARGER: Manufacturer installed (OEM) only: Housing (when damaged from within) and all internal parts including bypass valve,
clutch and pulley.

4.9 AIR CONDITIONING: (Includes rear/auxiliary A/C) Compressor, clutch assembly and pulley, evaporator, accumulator, receiver dryer,
expansion valve, orifice tube, idler pulley and bearing.
Additional Coverage for Platinum Products Only: Condenser, refrigerant lines, high/low pressure cycling switch, oil and refrigerant.

4.10 ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS: Starter motor and solenoid, alternator and voltage regulator, electronic ignition module (excluding ECM’s),
windshield wiper motors and washer pumps (front & rear), heater/A/C blower motor (front & rear) and horn assembly.
Additional coverage for Platinum Plans only: Engine wiring harness, transmission wiring harness, crankshaft angle sensor, camshaft sensor,
knock sensor, ignition switch and lock cylinder and manual heat/A/C control head.

4.11 BRAKE SYSTEM: Master cylinder, vacuum assist booster, proportioning valve, disc brake calipers (front & rear), flexible brake fluid hoses,
rear wheel cylinders, backing plates and return springs, steel brake lines, brake linkages and emergency/hand brake cables.
Additional coverage for Platinum Plans only: ABS electronic control processor, isolation/dump valve and wheel speed sensors.

4.12 STEERING COMPONENTS: Rack and pinion, power steering pump, reservoir and pulley, steering gear/box, power steering hoses, pitman
arm, idler arm, center link, steering knuckle/spindles, main and intermediate shafts, power steering cooler and lines.
Additional coverage on Platinum Plans only: steering dampener, internal tilt wheel mechanism, inner and outer tie rod ends and drag links.
Also, REAR WHEEL STEERING coverage for: electronic control unit/solenoid, phase control unit, stepper motor, power cylinder and pump, rack
and pinion, control valve, steering shaft and couplers.

4.13 FRONT SUSPENSION: Upper and lower ball joints, upper and lower control arms and their shafts and bushings.
Additional coverage for Platinum Plans only: Variable dampening suspension compressor, control module, actuator, solenoid, height sensor
and mode selector switch. Also, REAR SUSPENSION: torsion bar, mounts and bushings, stabilizer bar, links and bushings, spindles and rear
wheel bearings.

4.14 FUEL INJECTION: (Gas and Diesel) Fuel pump, fuel injectors, fuel injector lines, fuel injector regulator and injection/distribution pump.

4.15 ENGINE PLUS Option: If you have selected and paid for this option, the following parts are covered: water pump, alternator and voltage
regulator, starter motor and solenoid.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 03:37 PM   #2
E90705
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90/F25 M-sport

Seems like the warrenty you listed sounds good. Did they say as to “why” they aren’t covering the repairs ?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 04:28 PM   #3
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

I "think" I know why they don't cover it: the valvetronic servo motor is NOT listed nowhere in your Gold plan. If it's not listed, it's not warranted.

One of the reasons to DIY most of the stuff, and pocket warranty $$$.
As an example: When you do the valve cover gasket, you have to take off the VVT (valvetronic). So, not sure why replacing it costs 735!!! Plus insane parts prices.
the valve cover gasket at ECS Tuning is like 18 bucks or so, yet they (insurance) list 140.
The VVT is around 270 bucks. So if you would've pocketed the $$$ of insurance and DIY, you would've been ahead.
Granted, some people want the peace of mind and not bother with repairs, or maybe they don't have the skills to DIY, which is fine. The issue is when one signs after market warranty, which states what they cover. Even a rugged tree-shade mechanic can get screwed over by this. How on earth would one know that the N55 engine has a VVT? Only if you're anal and go on forums and start reading a gazillion of threads, or if you can get hands on a Bentley manual (which the F25 does not have), or going in realoem or similar and pull all the diagrams and make a list with all parts and double check if the parts are covered. This would take days to complete leisurely at home. And even then, you might overlook stuff when signing the papers......
Anyway, this is the reason I believe they don't want to cover the work. It' a technicality, because the all these after market warranties cover all kind of cars, and they list the majority of components of said cars. If a component is left out, well, tough luck - you signed the papers....
Not sure if a lawyer can help here, but lawyers aren't cheap either. Public awareness might work (reddit, etc)
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 06:44 PM   #4
supreetsingh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i - 2013

You are right! How the hell the customer know about its car part before buying it.
Its a part of engine and should be under engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 07:12 PM   #5
wrp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 x28i

The Gold plan that you have looks like a "stated component" warranty, which only covers what is explicitly listed in the warranty. An "exclusionary plan" lists those things in the car that are NOT covered, and everything else is covered. (This warranty costs more.)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 08:12 PM   #6
matt123
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
I "think" I know why they don't cover it: the valvetronic servo motor is NOT listed nowhere in your Gold plan. If it's not listed, it's not warranted.

One of the reasons to DIY most of the stuff, and pocket warranty $$$.
As an example: When you do the valve cover gasket, you have to take off the VVT (valvetronic). So, not sure why replacing it costs 735!!! Plus insane parts prices.
the valve cover gasket at ECS Tuning is like 18 bucks or so, yet they (insurance) list 140.
The VVT is around 270 bucks. So if you would've pocketed the $$$ of insurance and DIY, you would've been ahead.
Granted, some people want the peace of mind and not bother with repairs, or maybe they don't have the skills to DIY, which is fine. The issue is when one signs after market warranty, which states what they cover. Even a rugged tree-shade mechanic can get screwed over by this. How on earth would one know that the N55 engine has a VVT? Only if you're anal and go on forums and start reading a gazillion of threads, or if you can get hands on a Bentley manual (which the F25 does not have), or going in realoem or similar and pull all the diagrams and make a list with all parts and double check if the parts are covered. This would take days to complete leisurely at home. And even then, you might overlook stuff when signing the papers......
Anyway, this is the reason I believe they don't want to cover the work. It' a technicality, because the all these after market warranties cover all kind of cars, and they list the majority of components of said cars. If a component is left out, well, tough luck - you signed the papers....
Not sure if a lawyer can help here, but lawyers aren't cheap either. Public awareness might work (reddit, etc)
On the N55 the VVT is under the valve cover, not on top like the N52. You have to take off the valve cover, first 4 fuel injectors and the first 2 injector wells. The VVT is bolted directly to the cylinder head.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 08:20 PM   #7
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by supreetsingh View Post
You are right! How the hell the customer know about its car part before buying it.
Its a part of engine and should be under engine.
It is part of the engine (sort of), but your coverage simply has a category called "engine." That category then lists the specific engine parts that are covered. Valvetronic is not a listed part. Valvetronic wasn't even invented when this policy form was written. A lawyer will not do you any good. You bought the policy you bought. Basically, they cover things that rarely fail with good care. If they don't get good care, they deny coverage. This sort of coverage is why I, like another poster, never buy extended warranties and take my chances. I am so far ahead on that bet I could take a first class trip around the world.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 09:22 PM   #8
Scout10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 X28i

The part you need fixed is not listed seperate or as a component of.
This list is only the basic parts of any gas engine, good for a 25 to 30
year old car if that !

Hate to say it ...ya gotta read before you hand over the cash.

Your prices . . . . . . . dealer ...or indy ???
1965 Chevrolet Corvette 327 / 4spd Convt
Appreciate 0