BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-18-2018, 05:53 PM   #1
Redev
Rep
Drives: X3

Where do you buy your BMW* Non Run Flats from ? Uk drivers.

Hi all,

After much discussion I’m now after a set of BMW * NON Runflats, preferably Pirelli P Zero, I believe some of you are running them but for the life of me I can’t get BOTH sizes for my staggered fit.

I’m after 245 45 19 and 275 40 19. I’ve tried Black Circles, Camskill etc but no joy

Where are you guys buying your tyres in these sizes from?

I can get the front ok but not the larger backs as they only do run flats or ones that aren’t BMW * ?!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 02:08 AM   #2
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redev View Post
Hi all,

After much discussion I’m now after a set of BMW * NON Runflats, preferably Pirelli P Zero, I believe some of you are running them but for the life of me I can’t get BOTH sizes for my staggered fit.

I’m after 245 45 19 and 275 40 19. I’ve tried Black Circles, Camskill etc but no joy

Where are you guys buying your tyres in these sizes from?

I can get the front ok but not the larger backs as they only do run flats or ones that aren’t BMW * ?!

Thanks
Mine come from Black Circles. As previously said, I do not think you will notice much difference anyway, if you fit Dunlop because you are moving from Run flat to NON Run flat, so the ride will feel more supple.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 02:31 AM   #3
Redev
Rep

Thanks mate. I’ve tried and spoken to Black circles and they’ve said they don’t do those sizes in a 19 BMW* Pirelli for both front and rear.

I’ve got non run flats at the moment on a square 18 set up but they’re winter tyres which came with the car. Since then I’ve bought some 19 inch and those are the ones I’m trying to source the tyres for..

I’m not keen on the Dunlop looking at the ratings for them but I may not have a choice...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 04:48 AM   #4
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 30d M-Sport Alpine White

I use the runflats tbh although I have msports suspension deletion and dont find the ride that bad. That said my previous cars were a lowered Focus RS and Civic Type R so depends what you are used to lol.

Whereabouts are you as I use a local tyre company Elite Wheels in Reading and they are generally cheaper than Camskill, Black Circles, MyTyre etc and far more convenient and I trust their work.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 05:11 AM   #5
Redev
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1Fanatic View Post
I use the runflats tbh although I have msports suspension deletion and dont find the ride that bad. That said my previous cars were a lowered Focus RS and Civic Type R so depends what you are used to lol.

Whereabouts are you as I use a local tyre company Elite Wheels in Reading and they are generally cheaper than Camskill, Black Circles, MyTyre etc and far more convenient and I trust their work.
Are you using the Pirelli run flats? I also have the Msports delete on mine. I guess I’d be expecting a major difference as I’m not only going from 18’s non run flat to 19’s run flat so I’ve been spoilt so far! My last car was an A5 lowered on H&R springs so that was firmer. I’m up the midlands so I’m a distance away so I’d have to source locally.

How do you find the Pirelli in the wet?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 06:19 AM   #6
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Are you using the Pirelli run flats? I also have the Msports delete on mine. I guess I’d be expecting a major difference as I’m not only going from 18’s non run flat to 19’s run flat so I’ve been spoilt so far! My last car was an A5 lowered on H&R springs so that was firmer. I’m up the midlands so I’m a distance away so I’d have to source locally.

How do you find the Pirelli in the wet?
Yeah P zero run flats 19” staggered setup. Grip wise I find them fine - booting it in the wet I rarely get TC on unless flooring it in standing water from statiknary and even then minimal. Turn in wise also good and the X3’s understeer kicks in before traction breaks. The newer version 4 p zero supposedly have better wet grip if you believe the reviews.

Maybe see if someone on here will give you a spin in a non rft shod x3 to compare to yours before splashing your cash. For me the peace of mind re: a blowout and not being stranded due to a puncture outweighs the benefit of a slightly softer ride.

Re: msport suspension deletion. I am sure when I was researching the X3 there was a thread on piston heads and a former bmw mechanic showed that the suspension part number was the same on both msport and se.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 07:12 AM   #7
Steady Eddy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 MSport 30D

Just to add to the questions. I have an MSport 30D with 20" staggered setup and Pzeros (RF) fitted.

They are shortly going to be replaced. I'd like non RF's but it seems the BMW star rating adds approx. £50 per tyre.

What are the thoughts about using no star rated?

I have been on Dunlop site and they come up with SP sportmaxx GT which I can source but they don't seem to be starred even though Dunlop recommend them when you put in your car details.

Thanks

mark
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 07:37 AM   #8
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Eddy View Post

What are the thoughts about using no star rated?

mark
I personally only use them just in case there is a perceived or actual transmission issue, such vibration and /or error messages. If that does happen, and a dealership gets involved, the first thing that BMW ask is "are the tyres BMW* recommended. You know what will happen even if they (tyres) are not to blame for the problem? It is BMW's standard get out clause in the UK.

Last edited by Peter_R; 04-19-2018 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #9
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
Rep

I’ve never even thought to check. Is there a marking on the tyre to shows its the BMW version?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 02:11 PM   #10
Redev
Rep

Quote:
I’ve never even thought to check. Is there a marking on the tyre to shows its the BMW version?
Yeah there’s a star symbol on the sidewall for BMW approved ones
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 02:15 PM   #11
Redev
Rep

Quote:
Yeah P zero run flats 19” staggered setup. Grip wise I find them fine - booting it in the wet I rarely get TC on unless flooring it in standing water from statiknary and even then minimal. Turn in wise also good and the X3’s understeer kicks in before traction breaks. The newer version 4 p zero supposedly have better wet grip if you believe the reviews.

Maybe see if someone on here will give you a spin in a non rft shod x3 to compare to yours before splashing your cash. For me the peace of mind re: a blowout and not being stranded due to a puncture outweighs the benefit of a slightly softer ride.
Thanks for the feedback, good to know! I’m gonna have last look around over the weekend and order whatever tyres on Monday as I want them on next week!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 03:32 AM   #12
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah there’s a star symbol on the sidewall for BMW approved ones
Yeah worked that out and checked and mine all have the star. Phew.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 07:47 AM   #13
Ranger 6
Yorkshireman trapped in a Berkshire postcode
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M-Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW X3  [0.00]
Difficult to find a P Zero which isn't a run-flat. I had the 20" RFT and found them an awful lot better than the previous generation on my 130i. Now changed to GoodYear and still doing fine.

I use these guys and a quick look finds some Dunlops
      04-26-2018, 10:00 AM   #14
Steady Eddy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 MSport 30D

An update to my previous post which may be useful. On Monday I pulled out of my work car park only to be informed that I had zero pressure in my offside rear (20" wheels with pzero's). I went home which is only a couple of miles thinking I'd inflate there but found half a Stanley blade sticking out.
So that was the last straw and new set of tyres required. After getting confused as to what approved (star rated) I could get, I rang local dealer to be told only two, the Pirellis or Good year Excellence - both run flats. The goodyears were significantly cheaper so ordered from Black circles - £950 all in.
So far so good. Ride seems slightly better than the Pzero's.

Mark
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #15
Redev
Rep

That’s a pain in the ass. 😏

I’ll update too. I gave up on the non run flats as it was just getting far too complicated in terms of searching for BMW specific ones. I bought a set of P Zero BMW run flats on Tuesday and went from 18’s to my 19’s. To be fair the ride isn’t as harsh as I thought it would be, there is a difference but it hasn’t ruined the car for me. I went with the Pirelli as they had a slightly better wet weather rating than the Goodyear ( and were cheaper at my particular supplier) having said that we’ve had Goodyear excellence on other cars and they’ve been brilliant.

I paid £830 for the set fitted.

I just need to mess around with tyre pressures. I went to the garage and the tyre fitter had inflated them to 36psi front 40psi rear!!

I’ve lowered to 32psi all round and I’ll see how that goes in terms of comfort and handling..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 11:31 AM   #16
Redev
Rep

Er...that didn’t last long! Wishy washy handling at 32psi back up to 36 front 38 rear and seems better
Appreciate 0