BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-27-2018, 10:01 AM   #1
DansM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 white/Fox red-DCT

New X3 for wife-Halogen HL=No Bueno

Love this little thing. Its a great car and looks awesome with the M pack. Only thing i cannot stand is the lack of LED tail lights and HID adaptve headlights. I want to change them to the factory optioned ones. what is the best way to go about this? I found many on Ebay but am not sure if they come with ballast or bulbs, etc. I also do not know if i need any programing etc... to make them work when they are installed. Are they Plug and play as far as install? then i would need coding to get rid of the light out warning? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 02:00 PM   #2
DansM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

no one has done this? i posted in the g01 forum and they all sugguested i post here.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 04:37 PM   #3
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
There are numerous discussions of replacing halogen headlights with xenon (HID) or LED headlights. There are some aftermarket options, but generally the less expensive options are a bit of a crap shoot. If you want OEM adaptive HID lights this is an expensive proposition as the correct reflector, HID bulb and electronics to power same must be purchased. Also, installation and coding (to avoid error messages) is not necessarily straightforward. My understanding is that the HID headlights are not a plug and play replacement for the halogen versions.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=729660

You may purchase used or new LED taillights and replace the originals. This will also not be cheap and some coding may be required during installation. Plus, there is a known issue with LED taillights failing that you may want to investigate before going this route or purchasing used taillights.

Short answer is this conversion of headlights and taillights can be done, but likely will cost >$2k if done properly with OEM parts. It would be much more expensive if you get all new parts and use BMW dealer labor. Some have suggested in other posts on the topic one may be better off trading for a car equipped the way you want it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 08:28 AM   #4
DansM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you for the response. First off, i can do all the work my self and my freind can do the coding so that saves me cash. I know the lights are expensive and ive already found a set for around 1k. This includes the housing, ballast, and bulbs. I guess my only confusion is what do i connect it with since the new ones do no directly plug in? I dont need the LED headlights so i will stick with HID. can anyone tell me what parts i need to do it correctly? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
There are numerous discussions of replacing halogen headlights with xenon (HID) or LED headlights. There are some aftermarket options, but generally the less expensive options are a bit of a crap shoot. If you want OEM adaptive HID lights this is an expensive proposition as the correct reflector, HID bulb and electronics to power same must be purchased. Also, installation and coding (to avoid error messages) is not necessarily straightforward. My understanding is that the HID headlights are not a plug and play replacement for the halogen versions.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=729660

You may purchase used or new LED taillights and replace the originals. This will also not be cheap and some coding may be required during installation. Plus, there is a known issue with LED taillights failing that you may want to investigate before going this route or purchasing used taillights.

Short answer is this conversion of headlights and taillights can be done, but likely will cost >$2k if done properly with OEM parts. It would be much more expensive if you get all new parts and use BMW dealer labor. Some have suggested in other posts on the topic one may be better off trading for a car equipped the way you want it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 09:52 AM   #5
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DansM View Post
Thank you for the response. First off, i can do all the work my self and my freind can do the coding so that saves me cash. I know the lights are expensive and ive already found a set for around 1k. This includes the housing, ballast, and bulbs. I guess my only confusion is what do i connect it with since the new ones do no directly plug in? I dont need the LED headlights so i will stick with HID. can anyone tell me what parts i need to do it correctly? Thanks!
You might start by reviewing parts at the following links as well as other related links at realOEM dot com:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=63_1594

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=63_1589
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 10:04 AM   #6
DansM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Cool, good info. I think the lights i found come with everything listed in those links besides the ballast and bulbs. I i cant tell if the plug and harness is differentbut im guessing that it is.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #7
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DansM View Post
Cool, good info. I think the lights i found come with everything listed in those links besides the ballast and bulbs. I i cant tell if the plug and harness is differentbut im guessing that it is.
You might investigate the connector wiring harness for the BMW Xenon ballast at the link below:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-17-BMW-X...taXOip&vxp=mtr

I have no experience with these. Due diligence is prudent.

Last edited by MichiganMike; 05-01-2018 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0