BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-11-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
JSGR8
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive28i

Battery drain issue?

Scheduled my '16 X3 for the third oil change. I mentioned to them that on two separate camping trips the battery drained to a critical level where I was getting warnings to charge it up by driving. Is this normal? I would think not, but service rep booking my appointment said it was. She said it can happen when the car is not driven. I said it doesn't happen if I leave my car parked at home for 3-4 days without any driving. She still said it's normal.

I don't think I'm really stressing the battery camping. For the most part, the car is just parked there for two days. The car is left unlocked and I open and close the trunk a little bit more than usual. That is about it. I don't charge any devices, or play the radio, or hook anything else up to use the battery.

I really don't think that is normal. What do you all think?

JSGR8
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 08:51 PM   #2
Scout10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 X28i

yep, the bat has a drain on it just like any other "newer" car. This make has extra.
If the car sits, for more than a couple day, put a trickle or maintenance charger
on it.
IF camping look into a "solar" powered charger, usually available at RV dealers.
Know of a few people who say it works ! they have campers / motorhomes.
One neighbor parks his Mercedes for weeks while out on his boat, applies a solar charger
and it starts every time on a strong battery.
1965 Chevrolet Corvette 327 / 4spd Convt
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 07:41 AM   #3
Ol' Fart
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3, 28d, Mineral White

My X3 sits for sometimes more than a week without being driven and without any issues, I was having a battery drain issue for awhile and after several trips to the dealership it was determined to be a sticking button on one of the remotes. I suspect that is unusual, but it can happen. Just a possibility !

2019 BMW 430 XI Grand Coupe, White, Black leather interior

2016 BMW X3, 28d, Mineral White metalic, Oyster Nevada leather interior.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 08:52 PM   #4
Scout10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 X28i

Well i guess then i would add, that if you walk by the vehicle with FOB you may wake
it up. Then as you walk away it shuts down.
noticed this happening regularly while it was in the drive way, and i'd walk past it
(with in 6ft) on the way to postbox. juice usage
1965 Chevrolet Corvette 327 / 4spd Convt
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
JSGR8
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout10 View Post
Well i guess then i would add, that if you walk by the vehicle with FOB you may wake
noticed this happening regularly while it was in the drive way, and i'd walk past it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout10 View Post
I was thinking this. Maybe I'm too close to the car with my FOB so it's always awake.

The details in the service sheet said the battery drain was because of the "welcome lights" constantly being activated. So I guess every time I open a door or the trunk all the welcome lights come on. I'll turn that option off next time and see how it goes.

JSGR8
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2018, 12:53 AM   #6
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Good to know: BMW does not charge battery fully - in order to facilitate re-gen engine braking.

I.e. battery is not fully charged - which is bad for life - both in cold and heat. A lot of people on X3/X4 sites use trickle chargers - preferrably CTEK (Made in Sweden ) I "fill up" my battery at least once a month - preferrably when car parked for some time - I have two, and a garage.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2018, 07:48 AM   #7
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

We are having the battery drain issue on a 2016 F25 X3 35i when it sits in the garage for more than two days.

I'm wondering if using the CTEK recondition mode would help the battery? But then would you need to re-register the battery as if it were new?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 08:52 AM   #8
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

It's not how long you not drive it, it's how little you drive. Get it? Lol

You can leave the car parked for days. That won't deplete the battery.

What depletes the battery is driving short distances. You can drive your car every day to work. If it's a 5 minute commute, your battery will go low. You need a battery tender if your commute is short.

I have DEFA.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 01:13 PM   #9
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post

What depletes the battery is driving short distances. You can drive your car every day to work. If it's a 5 minute commute, your battery will go low. You need a battery tender if your commute is short.

I have DEFA.
GF's typical commute is about 36 miles of highway which takes approximately 35-40 minutes door to door. I wouldn't consider that a "short" commute.

In fact, my 2014 335i is driven shorter distances because I have a work car on the weekends and it is doing better on its original battery.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #10
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post

I have DEFA.
GF's typical commute is about 36 miles of highway which takes approximately 35-40 minutes door to door. I wouldn't consider that a "short" commute.

In fact, my 2014 335i is driven shorter distances because I have a work car on the weekends and it is doing better on its original battery.
Definitely not normal then. Hope they figure it out. Let us know what they find out.

EDIT: I just realized you are not the OP. Hopefully OP will chime in.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 08:27 AM   #11
TheCoolX3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

Garage List
Friend of mine just had a similar issue in his E60 M5. Battery would constantly drain even after he put a new battery in it. Turns out that all of the illuminated buttons were staying on but the regular interior lighting stayed off.
Check to see if you're having that same problem.
Best wishes!
Appreciate 0