BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #23
VikingOne
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e 2018

Response I got from Customer Services:

First of all, may I congratulate you on the forthcoming purchase of your new BMW X3 and I hope that it will be everything that you have wished for.

I understand that you would like to know when the BMW iPhone app will be available on the Android platform. I can confirm that currently we do not have any information regarding the release of Android platform compatibility. However, due to the dynamic nature of the mobile phone industry, BMW are constantly striving to match the newly emerging technology and do so on a daily basis.

You may like to sign up to BMW News, as when more information becomes available regarding this accessory we will email you with the details. You can sign up by clicking on the link I have provided for your convenience below:

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/forms/com...00.html?ft=stn

Previous: 2011 X3 2.0d xLine
Previous: 2015 X3 LCI 3.0d xLine
Current: 2018 530e 2L M-Sport I-Performance
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #24
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

That's more than I got from them! Same message though
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #25
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingOne View Post
First of all, may I congratulate you on the forthcoming purchase of your new BMW X3 and I hope that it will be everything that you have wished for.
I hate these wanky sentences they always add to their answers. I still get this too but the word "forthcoming" has now been dropped Particularly annoying when they are the bearers of more bad news, or no news at all again

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #26
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

BMW have a strange 'strategy'. Perhaps they just produce apps for the kit that happens to be lying around the office.

On the one hand they have the Remote App for the iPhone but Office only works on the BB. 6NR is for the iPhone only and there's nothing for Android or Win.

And yet, Android had 22.7% Market share in 2010 which is predicted to rise to 38.5% in 2011 and 49.2% in 2012 (this does cover a fairly wide range of versions though).
Meanwhile, Apple iOS had 15.7% last year and is predicted to have 19.4 this year and 18.9 next. This of course includes iPads (like this one!) as wel as phones.
In contrast, RIM(BB) is predicted to lose share from 16% last year to 12.6% in 2012.
Windows is expected to make up lost ground and come second to Android by 2015.

So, where's the forward planning? Where's the strategy?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #27
haldol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Nobody from US or Canada tried that app???

Download in my iPhone and waiting for my X3...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 01:21 AM   #28
SANK_CH
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: A Number 4

Quote:
I understand that you would like to know when the BMW iPhone app will be available on the Android platform. I can confirm that currently we do not have any information regarding the release of Android platform compatibility. However, due to the dynamic nature of the mobile phone industry, BMW are constantly striving to match the newly emerging technology and do so on a daily basis.
D#de, they (BMW) already use Google services for their Iphone app, so break the latest brick to allow android users to have the same BWW app as iphone users. Or keep only Iphone users and ask Apple to produce a concurrent google service for your iphone users... it's just a st#pid marketing business. Thanks Apple and long life to democracy
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 07:08 AM   #29
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
Just in case anyone is interested, I recently contacted BMW customer services to enquire whether the iPhone app would be made available for Android.
Here is the response:

I have investigated your enquiry and regrettably, I am unable to confirm the information that you have requested as this is not being considered as yet. However, I have forwarded the details of your correspondence to our Product Development Team for internal review.

Any updates with regard to this, will be displayed on our website, once it has been made available.

I am sorry that I was unable to help you on this occasion, however, if you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me again.
Translation: "We don't want to piss Apple off by providing the same functionality to their main competitor because they partner with us and give us free stuff to play with in the office. In fact, the only reason any of this works is because Apple provided the development. Left on our own merits, we would still be working on a accoustic coupler device to connect your phone..."

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 07:23 AM   #30
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Translation: "We don't want to piss Apple off by providing the same functionality to their main competitor because they partner with us and give us free stuff to play with in the office. In fact, the only reason any of this works is because Apple provided the development. Left on our own merits, we would still be working on a accoustic coupler device to connect your phone..."
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #31
haldol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Working great on my new car :
- Sound horn
- Flash headlights
- Lock/unlock
- Vehicle Finder

No Climate control
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #32
iFroze
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldol View Post
- Sound horn
- Flash headlights
- Lock/unlock
- Vehicle Finder

No Climate control

But how?
I have downloaded "My BMW Remote" app, but how did you set up you account within the app?

By the way, here is the way to make Pandora Radio possible to play outside of USA:
http://chrisburke.ca/2010/12/08/use-...one-in-canada/
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #33
haldol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFroze View Post
But how?
I have downloaded "My BMW Remote" app, but how did you set up you account within the app?
You need the User Name & Password of your BMW Assist account.
Your car dealer have those info.

Thanks for Pandora hint.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #34
pault
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 35i

Quote:
- Sound horn
- Flash headlights
- Lock/unlock
- Vehicle Finder

No Climate control
Ditto here too, I was going to post to see of anyone else was missing 'climate control' but seems I am not alone.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #35
pault
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
.... Left on our own merits, we would still be working on a accoustic coupler device to connect your phone..."
I'm waiting on the feature to read my telegrams out loud
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #36
iFroze
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
You need the User Name & Password of your BMW Assist account.

Thanks for Pandora hint.

Actually, I just realized what they mean by username and pass. I had it already. It works for me as well. When you log in, it recognizes the car model and the colour... beep, beep.

Sorry guys, but this is just a simple love for the techie world. I may not use this app that much, but like to experience the latest possibilities and have pleasure figuring how to set it up. If you are that much of a purist and you think that you do not need anyone to read your telegrams maybe you could of been walking instead of getting X3. I personally love to see devices to communicate in new ways and me to be part of these changes.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #37
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

[QUOTE=iFroze;9561635][QUOTE=haldol;9559969]You need the User Name

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #38
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You need the User Name AND Password of your BMW Assist account.

Thanks for Pandora hint.

Actually, I just realized what they mean by username and pass. I had it already. It works for me as well. When you log in, it recognizes the car model and the colour... beep, beep.

Sorry guys, but this is just a simple love for the techie world. I may not use this app that much, but like to experience the latest possibilities and have pleasure figuring how to set it up. If you are that much of a purist and you think that you do not need anyone to read your telegrams maybe you could of been walking instead of getting X3. I personally love to see devices to communicate in new ways and me to be part of these changes.
(Another 5 mins lost to this buggy app!!!)

PLUS 1!!!

BMW Remote is awesome and one of my favourite features, particularly find my car and remote locking for peace of mind when you have that did I leave the car unlocked seed of doubt.

Features like this make a big difference and are just cool feel good features. That's why I wanted 6NR too. Maybe next time

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #39
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral Silver

Quote:

username is the email address, correct? I still haven't got it to work, I did PCD pickup so didn't have an email address or password on file when I setup assist, the ones I provided didn't work!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #40
haldol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrikinCurt View Post
username is the email address, correct? I still haven't got it to work, I did PCD pickup so didn't have an email address or password on file when I setup assist, the ones I provided didn't work!
Call BMW Assist directly and ask them what is your username and password.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #41
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrikinCurt View Post
My username was defaulted to firstname.surname which isn't my email address format but you can change your username afterwards to anything that's available. I set mine up by registering myself online. I would do that or call customer services. Don't rely on your CA/dealer to do it

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 05:10 AM   #42
Palpak
Canada
Rep
Drives: WX53 - X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
- Sound horn
- Flash headlights
- Lock/unlock
- Vehicle Finder

No Climate control
Help.... I can't even find the apps..... how did you get yours?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #43
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

I was able to download it in the US, but I forget what my BMW Assist account is (the same as a ConnectedDrive account).

Where do I find this information?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #44
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Anyone know if this works on Verizon iPhones, or is it only AT&T at this point?

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0