BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-24-2019, 10:02 AM   #1
JacksonD58
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Question Vanos Code

Hey, need some help from the group! The check engine light came on awhile back took it to the shop, it had the code for the Vanos System fault, they have changed all kinds of parts. solenoids, timing chain, cam gears, crank sensor, and a couple other things that I can't think of right now, and flushed the oil system and still the code comes back but only on a cold start and then will go off and come back again. Now they just told me they don't know what the heck it could be and they have tried everything and my option is to REPLACE the Engine (WHAT) it is a 07 and only has 122,000 on it! Love the car but this has been crazy. So if you have been through this or have any idea's on what is possibly wrong with it please enlighten me!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 10:09 AM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Time for 2nd opinion from another shop. Ask them to pull the codes and test drive the car and see what they have to say.

You've had timing chain and cam gears replaced, that's pretty extensive work/ what prompted that work?...initially must have been more than just Vanos fault codes, correct?

Replace the motor, right...👎. Sounds like you're dealing with a BMW Dealer....find an independent shop for 2nd opinion.
Good luck/Bill
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 12:02 PM   #3
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

With an '07 you may get better info in the 1st generation X3 forum, https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91
Appreciate 0