BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-04-2016, 08:07 AM   #45
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

I don't ever see me spending north of $20K on a watch, but I get it if it's in your budget/zone. My wife and I have a number of watches, Rolex's and Omega's. Nice pieces all north of $5K and probably north of $10K to buy new now. I wear my Sea Dweller just about daily. I say if you can afford $20K for a watch, or $100K for a watch and that's what speaks to you go for it. My view on discretionary spending is this, my sister likes to go to Vegas and plays 3 card poker. I've seen her burn through a lot of cash, not my thing. But she can afford it and she enjoys the experience, its like going out to an expensive dinner, at the end of it what do you have to show for it, a dent in your credit card and a full bell. You have the memory and the experience. So dumping money you can afford to spend on a watch or car is the same thing really. You get the experience of owning the thing and maybe you have something that lasts a while....
Appreciate 1
csu872134.00
      12-06-2016, 05:40 PM   #46
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

This is an easy one for me. I believe when/if you get married that as much should be spent on a watch as you would spend on wedding ring for your wife. To be honest I think the woman should be the one to purchase it as well, but lets at least take baby steps because while we are all fighting for equality its not here yet.

Weddings aside min price is a hard thing to pin point because I respect a 3-5k NOMOS Glaschute over any Rolex, Tag or Omega. As a general rule id say 5k gets into some nice respectable watches that go above the purpose of simply telling time, and 15K-20K hits the high end level of very respectable time pieces regardless of ones budget.

Of course if you can afford it then I completely see the reasoning and value of getting an ALS.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 12:59 PM   #47
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

big difference between 5-10k and 20k+. lots of people justifying the 5-10k purchase. the guys buying 20k+ watches already have a handful of the rolex, iwc, breitling etc. they are stepping up their watch game. at that point its a passion and a hobby.

i'd rather have a 20k watch that is going to stay at 20k value than a 100k boat that is going to cost me 20k a year to maintain, fuel and store all while depreciating to zero
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 10:02 PM   #48
bing240sx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C /// E90 M3 ESS-VT2

i did the marriage, kids, a couple properties, paid off student loans etc. etc. before getting into the $20k+ range which i did last year. Going into the $40k+ range hopefully this coming year on a Patek.

after a while it's just numbers in the bank.

i see a few men i look up to in their 60's when they finally cashed out and are sitting on millions, some were sitting on millions in their 50's... but now they can't really do anything with it.

it's just money... you invest or work so that you have more but more for what???

i say it's to enjoy the best things that exist in this life and time... travel, food, exclusive experience and things... awesome cars, works of art etc. etc. Watches fit in there.

If you're great at what you do and make serious $ then i say enjoy it while you're young lest you die too soon or wait too long...

I'd rather have a Patek and a Ferrari etc. in my 30's and be worth $8M at 60 instead of not having done awesome shit in my 30's and being worth $13M at 60... what would you do with the extra money at that point anyways?