BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #1
thatg
Major
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E93 M3

Looking to pick up an f25 35i m sport, any shortcuts?

Hey guys, I'm looking to move from an e93 m3 to a f25 x3. I've driven a couple and miss the low end torque of the n55 and want something a little more practical for a bit.

I haven't driven the competitors, audi sq5. But have driven the macan(great car but need to lowend turbo torque.)

I was hoping someone has gone through the same search as myself. What should I look out for in these cars, what are the pain points, i know the n55 people talk about hpfp. Are there years I should avoid 2011-2016.

Is there an easy way to identify which cars have heads up displays? Its a small thing but love this option. Only real must for me is brown or red interior and no white exterior.

Also wondering how you guys decided on one of these, and once you got it what are must haves for addons( tune, drop, tires) Thanks all for any opinions and sharing your experience. Thanks. Budget is hopefully under $20k which puts me in the 60-80k mile range for pre-lci

http://www.e90post.com/forums/search...&starteronly=1
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 08:13 AM   #2
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Best add on? A trailer hitch. The X3 isn't a race car, if you wanna mod for performance keep the 3 series.

Buy 2014 or newer otherwise BMWapps won't work wirelessly unless you drop $1200 at the dealer to replace the modem.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 08:15 AM   #3
TheCoolX3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

Garage List
Spend the extra money and get an LCI model. I think that is the only way the HUD becomes available, then you need to find a car with the technology package.

I too went through this search. I had no bias towards BMW or Audi having never owned one but I had a sweet spot for Porsche because the Cayenne Turbo s I've now put 163k miles on has been utterly amazing.

Test drove the Macan and it just felt kinda crappy. It was Porsche's attempt at an 'affordable' car and that was very obvious. It was sporty and felt like a Porsche but the interior was bland and very meh overall

After Porsche was done in the race, I went to Audi. I really liked the Q5 and the SQ5 but for that money new there was just something missing. I liked the feel of the car but the technology was crummy IMO.

Then BMW. Test drove a 35i and fell in love. Felt more sporty then the Q5s even. The HUD and Birds Eye View camera and thats what sold me. I also love the color. The Audi and Macan were a bland greyish silver and the latter was black. But the Carbon black X3 was very pretty. Changes during the day to blue and a metallic black at night. The night of the test drive I built my current X3, spent far too much money on it, but i've loved it ever since. The mod support for this car is growing exponentially and can easily get to 400-450 hp for about $1000-$1500.

Hope this helps you choose. One generic word of advice is do not settle for a car that is not exactly what you want, because it will haunt you for ever. Get the best car you can afford or is in your range!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
TheCoolX3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

Garage List
I've done all of these and I prefer my SUV. Technology is better than a regular 3 series, ride is better and it feels good when you break necks after gapping a 335i or whatever. Plus he is in the market for an SUV, and likely has needs for an SUV so he is gonna buy an SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riick View Post
It's an SUV, if you're wanting to do tune, drop, tires, etc just keep the 3 series. Best add on? A trailer hitch.

Buy 2014 or newer otherwise BMWapps won't work wirelessly unless you drop $1200 at the dealer to replace the modem.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #5
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
I have a 2011 and it does have a HUD, but it seems to be a very rare option for pre-LCI. As others will tell you, if you can afford it I would get an LCI X3, mainly due to the tech upgrades in both the HUD and the Nav, beyond that the changes are mostly cosmetic in my opinion.

As for mods once you get it:
1. swap out the run-flats for AS tires or even summer tires since you live in LA.
2. Maintenance: figure out what hasnt been done or is due soon and just do it.
3. Afe Intake does make a difference.
4. Replace the charge pipe before it explodes, I like the FTP motorsports pipes.
5. Tune the N55: there are a few different options out there, both piggy-back and ECU remaps. I like the RaceChip Ultimate piggy-bag, but I am tempted to get a dyno tune.
6. Code: using an app or some other process, code some of the nice to haves...remove warning screen, auto fold mirrors when locked, enable XM radio, etc.
7. Update the navigation maps

good luck!
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 11:44 AM   #6
thatg
Major
Rep

Thanks for the input!! Has anyone done springs. The car sits pretty high for a sporty suv.

I’d love to go for the lci but the price diff on average for a 2014 with the same miles and options vs a 2015 is $5grand. My understanding the only difference is the headlights, front bumper and some more nav capabilities. I would probably swap out the nav for one of the chinese navs with carplay

https://avinusa.com/bmw-x3-x4-series...on-system.html

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 11:53 AM   #7
x3sm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatg View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking to move from an e93 m3 to a f25 x3. I've driven a couple and miss the low end torque of the n55 and want something a little more practical for a bit.

I haven't driven the competitors, audi sq5. But have driven the macan(great car but need to lowend turbo torque.)

I was hoping someone has gone through the same search as myself. What should I look out for in these cars, what are the pain points, i know the n55 people talk about hpfp. Are there years I should avoid 2011-2016.

Is there an easy way to identify which cars have heads up displays? Its a small thing but love this option. Only real must for me is brown or red interior and no white exterior.

Also wondering how you guys decided on one of these, and once you got it what are must haves for addons( tune, drop, tires) Thanks all for any opinions and sharing your experience. Thanks. Budget is hopefully under $20k which puts me in the 60-80k mile range for pre-lci
I was in the same boat, deciding between SQ5 and the X3. I have an Audi S4 which has the same Supercharged TFSI V6 as the SQ5 and this engine is amazing, I love my S4 and the interior is top notch. However I felt like the SQ5 is too much money for what it is and since I already have a supercharged V6 I decided to go for BMW X3 35i. I would also say definitely get the LCI, I converted my X3 to LCI and I love it much more now. The one thing I do not like about the X3 is the electric steering, this is my first car with EPS and I hate it, it sucks. I'm now looking to upgrade the suspension to get better handling feedback. Also the ZF8 transmission in the X3 is amazing, its better than the DSG in my S4, along with the N55 engine it makes a great daily driver. If you can find an X3 with sport suspension package which has upgraded sway bars you'll thank me later. No company out there make sway bars for the X3 so definitely get that package.
AUDI S4: SOLD
BMW E92 335: SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #8
thatg
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
I was in the same boat, deciding between SQ5 and the X3. I have an Audi S4 which has the same Supercharged TFSI V6 as the SQ5 and this engine is amazing, I love my S4 and the interior is top notch. However I felt like the SQ5 is too much money for what it is and since I already have a supercharged V6 I decided to go for BMW X3 35i. I would also say definitely get the LCI, I converted my X3 to LCI and I love it much more now. The one thing I do not like about the X3 is the electric steering, this is my first car with EPS and I hate it, it sucks. I'm now looking to upgrade the suspension to get better handling feedback. Also the ZF8 transmission in the X3 is amazing, its better than the DSG in my S4, along with the N55 engine it makes a great daily driver. If you can find an X3 with sport suspension package which has upgraded sway bars you'll thank me later. No company out there make sway bars for the X3 so definitely get that package.
only looking for the m-sport, the few ive driver obviously dont have the turn in of an m3, but im assuming some spring would help with that slightly. I had an n54 335 before my m3 and miss the lowend torque, not crazy about having to rev the car all the way out to get the power out of it. Right now looking for a fun DD that can fit a bunch of stuff into it and isnt like driving a boat. then down the road see about getting something fun for the weekends

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 04:01 PM   #9
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatg View Post
Is there an easy way to identify which cars have heads up displays? Its a small thing but love this option. i
Use vin decoder and look for option S610A.....https://decoder.bvzine.com
      11-19-2018, 06:22 PM   #10
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

M-Sport is just a cosmetic package. There are no actual performance/suspension/brake differences between regular X3 and X3 M-Sport.

Obviously the M-Sport looks way better, and the thicker steering wheel is worth the package alone.

Turn in will be shit because it's not tuned for performance. Only way to solve that is to change the sway bars to get rid of the factory designed understeer but nobody sells proper sway bars for the X3 to remove that designed understeer like other BMWs. On a 3 series all one has to do is just put OEM M3 swaybars and control arms on their 328i and bam, understeer gone (or buy aftermarket), but F25 doesn't have that option.

If you want a true performance "SUV", buy a E84 X1 35i. It's just a 335iX chassis with a bigger body. All E90 335ix engine/suspension/brake parts fit and there's a plethora of them to buy on the market as you are aware. There's a couple folks on these forums that have built some X1's to professionally raced road race cars. Or, if you're into drag racing easily build one to run 11s with bolt ons.

If you're trying to mess with an X3 to be on any level of your M3? You're in for a huge disappointment. It's not that it's not capable of being a bad ass vehicle, there's just no aftermarket to support you building one. Soccer moms don't go out and mod X3s so why would anyone spend time and development on it.

Last edited by Riick; 11-19-2018 at 06:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
scostu1623.00