BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-17-2019, 09:50 PM   #1
gregtennis91
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M40i

Thinking about it x3mc

Been doing a lot of reading, but wanted to see what your thoughts are
Currently in x3m40 and thinking x3m since you only live once and the difference in monthly lease isn't drastic.
Also thinking M550 and x5m50 since the comfort there.

Keep in mind, living in NYC, so open country roads don't happen often, but love the power. Don't love my teeth chipping when a pothole in 21s comes up.

So few questions:
-how stiff is this car really? I've read ppl in the forum saying its the same as x3m40 since the M doesn't have run flats. If thats the case, I can live with it.

-has anyone driven the x5m50 and can compare those two. I've driven the m5 and x3m, but not the x5m50/m550. going to get a test drive them this week.

thanks

Last edited by gregtennis91; 11-17-2019 at 10:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 05:26 AM   #2
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtennis91 View Post
Been doing a lot of reading, but wanted to see what your thoughts are
Currently in x3m40 and thinking x3m since you only live once and the difference in monthly lease isn't drastic.
Also thinking M550 and x5m50 since the comfort there.

Keep in mind, living in NYC, so open country roads don't happen often, but love the power. Don't love my teeth chipping when a pothole in 21s comes up.

So few questions:
-how stiff is this car really? I've read ppl in the forum saying its the same as x3m40 since the M doesn't have run flats. If thats the case, I can live with it.

-has anyone driven the x5m50 and can compare those two. I've driven the m5 and x3m, but not the x5m50/m550. going to get a test drive them this week.

thanks
I only was able to test drive the X5 40i, x3 m40i, and x3m. All the same route in bayside queens. The X5 is what I expected as I came from an f15. The x3 m40i I felt was comfortable. It was a smooth ride that handles the bumps well. Wasn't particularly jarring from a stiffness perspective. I then took the x3m out right afterwards and to me at least the difference was noticeable compared to the m40i. I felt pretty much everything. From the slightest bumps to the cracks In The pavement.
I'm no expert by any means. But to me the suspension feels very different between the two (m40i / x3m) I was convinced when my family went for the first ride in the car and my wife quickly pointed out that she feels every single bump in the road. She's not a car person at all but she felt it right away
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 06:36 AM   #3
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

X3M Comp will be harsher than X3 M40i (albeit, not much imo). If you want a true ///M car, you should expect this. In order for it to handle fast turns without much body roll, suspension has to be more tight.

Regarding X5 M50i, your payment will be much higher than your X3. It is less harsh than the X3MC and is comparable to your X3. Also, it's a much bigger car and you'll feel it. It is very fast though, much more than your X3.

If I was you and wanted to get into a true ///M, I would get a non-comp X3M on 20's. I haven't driven one but I think the extra sidewall should help in the ride comfort. As a bonus, your payment will be even less .
      11-18-2019, 08:11 AM   #4
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

The above makes lots of sense, the ride in the X3M Comp is very hard, so if the non Comp car is softer it would be ideal.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 11:29 AM   #5
GmanJeff
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M, 2016 X5

I test-drove the M550 and found it to be very fast, but feeling quite unlike a M vehicle. The suspension is softer and the steering is lighter, so the experience was much less sporty apart from acceleration prowess.

I own a X5, and it is obviously a bigger vehicle than any X3 variant. Taller, so a little harder to get in and out of, and exterior dimensions make it a bit more tricky to park and to thread through narrow garage doors. If you need the cargo and/or passenger space, it's a good platform. If you don't need the interior space offered by the X5, the X3 platform offers some advantages over it, whether you're speaking the M or non-M variants - increased agility, better mileage, lower purchase cost.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 12:06 PM   #6
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

There is no think. Only do.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #7
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanJeff View Post
I test-drove the M550 and found it to be very fast, but feeling quite unlike a M vehicle. The suspension is softer and the steering is lighter, so the experience was much less sporty apart from acceleration prowess.

I own a X5, and it is obviously a bigger vehicle than any X3 variant. Taller, so a little harder to get in and out of, and exterior dimensions make it a bit more tricky to park and to thread through narrow garage doors. If you need the cargo and/or passenger space, it's a good platform. If you don't need the interior space offered by the X5, the X3 platform offers some advantages over it, whether you're speaking the M or non-M variants - increased agility, better mileage, lower purchase cost.
Imo, X3MC is about as (un)comfortable as my previous X3 M40i. The ride was quite harsh in the brand new car, but the suspension has gotten a tiny bit softer after 1000 miles. I would now describe the ride as firm but comfortable. Just don't take this thing off-road. I also test drove the X5 M50i and was quite disappointed. The new gen. X5 is really big and heavy and you just don't feel the 520 hps. It is nowhere as nimble and sporty as the X3. i would take the X3 M40i over the X5 M50i all day. The one that I test drove also had 22 inch wheels so the ride was also extremely harsh. If you want to take a big and comfy SUV with V8, take the non-M X5 50i.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #8
gregtennis91
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
The above makes lots of sense, the ride in the X3M Comp is very hard, so if the non Comp car is softer it would be ideal.
Little confused on this though. With m5 vs m5 comp I understand the suspension etc is stiffer. In x3 I thought they are the same, other than tire size and visual cues (chrome vs black).
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:02 PM   #9
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Supposedly the only suspension difference between X3M base and comp are larger sway bars on the comp. Base comes with 20" wheels which probably has only very small benefit to comfort. So unless someone has experience in both back to back to share, assume they ride basically the same.
Appreciate 0