BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-03-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
Aferanova
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X6 xDrive50i

Drivetrain Malfunction after Oil Change (DTC P13C9)

I have a 2012 F25 with 92k miles. Just recently had an oil change. Then 2 days later got the Drivetrain Malfunction displayed. I went and checked the code:

P13C9: VANOS, exhaust: control fault, camshaft stuck.
From the BMW DTC Sheet:
The diagnostic function monitors the camshaft timing adjustment
Potential Causes - Contaminated oil passage at VANOS solenoid valve
- Oil pressure too low
- Defect in wiring harness to VANOS solenoid valve
- VANOS solenoid valve seized
- VANOS solenoid valve defective

I brought it back to the shop since it was after the oil change and they said it threw the code 5 days prior and hasn't since, so they wouldn't worry about it and reset it. I have since got the code coming back every few days. I reset, then it comes back in a few days.

Symptom wise, the car still runs pretty well -- tough to tell if performance has changed.

Any thoughts on what this could be? Is it just a coincidence happening post oil change?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
6266M3
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3, m3

Did you solve this? Im at 91k with my 2011 35i and Im having the same issue. Replacing the vanos solenoid didnt fix the problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #3
Aferanova
Private
Rep

Hope this can help you.... i just solved this a few days ago:

The solenoid replacement did not fix the issue.

I ended up discovering that the root case was the oil filter cap was missing the insert that goes inside of the filter. This was caused from the shop that changed the oil.

Here is also a good VANOS troubleshooting article for anyone, that led me to check this before going deeper.

https://us.autologic.com/news/bmw-va...and-diagnosing
Appreciate 2
      08-26-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
luisavila
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6266M3 View Post
Did you solve this? Im at 91k with my 2011 35i and Im having the same issue. Replacing the vanos solenoid didnt fix the problem.
Being 2011, you must replace the two defective "VANOS" with the new ones that do not cut the bolts. there is a campaign in bmw.

Last edited by luisavila; 08-26-2018 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 01:28 PM   #5
AMCross
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 3.5d MSport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisavila View Post
Being 2011, you must replace the two defective "VANOS" with the new ones that do not cut the bolts. there is a campaign in bmw.

may I ask how you found out their is a campaign in bmw

are they recalling ?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 02:54 PM   #6
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

That's why you always get your oil changed by the BMW dealer and not some 17yo dropout
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 11:45 PM   #7
luisavila
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCross View Post
may I ask how you found out their is a campaign in bmw

are they recalling ?
https://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/11/...ars-worldwide/

https://www.google.cl/search?q=bmw+n...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #8
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riick View Post
That's why you always get your oil changed by the BMW dealer and not some 17yo dropout
This way you don't have anything done wrong, like earlier this year the BMW dealer who replaced my coolant didn't remember to replace the coolant cap. After they considered driving 190 miles one way to replace it, they decided to just use UPS overnight
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 09:10 PM   #9
BlkRob
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvirgi View Post
Hope this can help you.... i just solved this a few days ago:

The solenoid replacement did not fix the issue.

I ended up discovering that the root case was the oil filter cap was missing the insert that goes inside of the filter. This was caused from the shop that changed the oil.

Here is also a good VANOS troubleshooting article for anyone, that led me to check this before going deeper.

https://us.autologic.com/news/bmw-va...and-diagnosing
Thanks for posting this - I was also missing the insert in the oil filter cap. Must have thrown it out by assident with the filter. This brought the cars idle back to normal and cleared the trouble code initially but it came back the next day.

I ended up taking out and cleaning out the VANOS sensors - one was particularly dirty. At least for once, access to the sensors is easy and the process was fairly painless.

Also your link doesn't work (it truncates the web address for some reason) but that page is very useful. https://us.autologic.com/news/bmw-va...and-diagnosing

Thanks again - saved me a lot of aggravation.

Last edited by BlkRob; 10-26-2018 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2018, 11:24 PM   #10
luisavila
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkRob View Post
Thanks for posting this - I was also missing the insert in the oil filter cap. Must have thrown it out by assident with the filter. This brought the cars idle back to normal and cleared the trouble code initially but it came back the next day.

I ended up taking out and cleaning out the VANOS sensors - one was particularly dirty. At least for once, access to the sensors is easy and the process was fairly painless.

Also your link doesn't work (it truncates the web address for some reason) but that page is very useful. https://us.autologic.com/news/bmw-va...and-diagnosing

Thanks again - saved me a lot of aggravation.
Excellent information, I unfortunately broke a defective vanos. (bolts). but after replacing the vanos with new ones, I got the code "130304 - VANOS, escape: control failure, blocking of the camshaft"
the mechanic solved it, but he never told me how he did it.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 06:23 PM   #11
Ghawk
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535, BMW 335

Drivetrain Malfunction After Oil Change

Thank you for sharing... This literally just happened to me. I changed my oil and started it up... Within minutes I got the “Drivetrain Malfunction” message. I was dumbfounded. I put the scanner on and it read P13C9 Camshaft Stuck...

Turns out I had mistakenly left the insert to the oil filter housing inside of the “old” filter .... Thanks again...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 02:43 PM   #12
ewarshower
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Root cause was also the oil filter cap

Hi.
I ran into the same issue a week after servicing my vehicle for Oil/Filter. I visited AAMCO who pulled the error code for free (P13C9).

After reading this thread, I took the my X5 back to Jiffy Lube and had them open the oil filter cap in front of me.

The oil filter cap was missing the insert that goes inside of the filter. They order a new cap, reset the error code, and it hasn't returned since.

THANK YOU for saving me from an unnecessary trip to the mechanic.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 08:17 PM   #13
Mark X3
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

Angry 2013 x3

Guys I need some series help After oil change on my 2013 X3 with 85K miles that was always serviced in BMW I had “engine oil pressure to low” followed by Drivetrain malfunction on a dashboard in error codes showed No.DTC E114BC ?
since i couldn't find anything on this error code i used OBD2 scanner and it showed P13C9 camshaft stuck + P054B cold start camshaft position timing over then P052B camshaft position timing over. Long story short I had to get it towed to my house. I have changed a camshaft sensor and it my“engine oil pressure to low” followed by Drivetrain malfunction” disappear but i cannot start my car ? any advise ? Please help
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 10:33 PM   #14
Aferanova
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark X3 View Post
Guys I need some series help After oil change on my 2013 X3 with 85K miles that was always serviced in BMW I had “engine oil pressure to low” followed by Drivetrain malfunction on a dashboard in error codes showed No.DTC E114BC ?
since i couldn't find anything on this error code i used OBD2 scanner and it showed P13C9 camshaft stuck + P054B cold start camshaft position timing over then P052B camshaft position timing over. Long story short I had to get it towed to my house. I have changed a camshaft sensor and it my“engine oil pressure to low” followed by Drivetrain malfunction” disappear but i cannot start my car ? any advise ? Please help
Mark - sorry to hear this! Can you provide a few more details?
- how long after your oil change did this happen?
- Did you have issues before the oil change?
- why did you start with the camshaft sensor?
- is oil level filled to the right amount?
- have you already checked the oil filter cap if the cage is missing?
- have you checked the vanos solenoids yet?
- after replacing the camshaft sensor, that caused the engine to no longer start??
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 03:56 PM   #15
Mark X3
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvirgi View Post
Mark - sorry to hear this! Can you provide a few more details?
- how long after your oil change did this happen?
- Did you have issues before the oil change?
- why did you start with the camshaft sensor?
- is oil level filled to the right amount?
- have you already checked the oil filter cap if the cage is missing?
- have you checked the vanos solenoids yet?
- after replacing the camshaft sensor, that caused the engine to no longer start??
about 3 weeks later - I had never any issues with oil or any sensors .
Camshaft because it said that it was stack.
I just drained the oil and refill it - I check oil filet cap looks like everything is there.Engine didn’t start after stopping on the side or road .
I cannot locate venous on my x-3
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 08:00 AM   #16
Aferanova
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark X3 View Post
about 3 weeks later - I had never any issues with oil or any sensors .
Camshaft because it said that it was stack.
I just drained the oil and refill it - I check oil filet cap looks like everything is there.Engine didn’t start after stopping on the side or road .
I cannot locate venous on my x-3
Have you tried putting back the old camshaft sensor back in and see if that caused the issue of the engine not starting?

The oil pressure low is likely causing the camshaft stuck codes. If the oil filter cap still has the cage inside of it, then i would move on to checking the vanos solenoids - the wiring and if they are dirty. Take a look at the article that we posted earlier for info - https://us.autologic.com/news/bmw-va...and-diagnosing

But what confuses me is if your engine just isn't starting at all, i would probably troubleshoot that first - battery, starter, alternator? then move on to the other issues
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 10:34 PM   #17
HtownBlue
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35i

THANK YOU! This exact scenario happened to me in my X5 after I changed oil hastily without realizing I threw out insert with filter. Luckily had it in my garage trash can. Put it back on filter cap. Bam. Magical no parts required type fix. Also the BMW SPECIFIC code is 2D60 fwiw.

Last edited by HtownBlue; 03-09-2022 at 10:39 PM..
Appreciate 0