BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #1
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i-m-exec Rides: RT1100

Remote start or simple warm up

I do not see any mention of remote start anywhere. It was one of the first things I installed on my Quigley Transit van this year.

We have a VW Tiguan. You may have heard (who knew?) that you can't even get out of it and lock the door with the engine running for winter warmups.

When we got out of the car in the middle of the X3 test drive yesterday I noticed I had to restart the engine when changing places with my wife. We left the key fob in the tray.

I am almost afraid to ask, since we can't have remote start options, can we at least start it, turn on the heater and defroster, get out of the vehicle, lock the door from outside with the key fob, and walk away with the key fob?

Holding my breath……...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
ZHPsedan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 750i

Garage List
2022 BMW 750i  [0.00]
I'm guessing not. I think it's a German car thing that they don't allow running the car without someone in it.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 03:40 PM   #3
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keweenawbee View Post
I do not see any mention of remote start anywhere. It was one of the first things I installed on my Quigley Transit van this year.

We have a VW Tiguan. You may have heard (who knew?) that you can't even get out of it and lock the door with the engine running for winter warmups.

When we got out of the car in the middle of the X3 test drive yesterday I noticed I had to restart the engine when changing places with my wife. We left the key fob in the tray.

I am almost afraid to ask, since we can't have remote start options, can we at least start it, turn on the heater and defroster, get out of the vehicle, lock the door from outside with the key fob, and walk away with the key fob?

Holding my breath……...
As far as I recall that worked with all my bmws with the key fob.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #4
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

For sure you can keep the car running and remove the key fob. Pretty sure you can also lock the doors.

Even if you don't lock the doors and someone will try to drive it away the engine shuts off if the key is not inside.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2017, 04:56 PM   #5
tyranimo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228xi

Yes, you can start it, and lock it and walk away.

At least you could in my 2 series.

Also, to my knowledge, There are also third party remote start options, but you would need to sacrifice one key fob.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #6
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
It may be available with the display key. My CA has yet to see one of those, apparently they magically appear after delivery.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #7
BMWX3DRIVER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
It may be available with the display key. My CA has yet to see one of those, apparently they magically appear after delivery.
My SA said display key offers exactly the same functionality as phone app, and remot start is not supported...at least in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 06:06 AM   #8
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

On UK Spec BMWs you can start the car and walk away, I've not tried locking mine as its on a the driveway.
      12-11-2017, 07:22 AM   #9
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

I did find an online manual by entering last 7 digits of the VIN and it is confusing. Winter warmup is not mentioned but certain "condition states" and fob proximities are mentioned. Best I just actually try it at a dealer. Not that I would seriously buy anything else at this point we're totally hooked. With four heated seats and a heated steering wheel it may not be as painful as being in a frozen Tiquan.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 10:29 PM   #10
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

Got a chance to try the warm up procedure, but when I get back out of the car after starting the engine the horn will honk three times when I try to lock the vehicle either with the door handle or the key fob. I could just leave the vehicle unlocked and take the fob away but I can't really leave anything of value in it. I am not sure it was locking either I suspect the horn honks were warnings that it ain't working.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 11:25 PM   #11
Covfefe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6mt

Letting your engine idle for long periods of time is bad for it anyway. Jump in the car and turn on the heated seats.
Appreciate 1
Chris5527.50
      12-19-2017, 12:28 AM   #12
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
Letting your engine idle for long periods of time is bad for it anyway. Jump in the car and turn on the heated seats.
Yeah right? The steering wheel heat is near instantaneous, and it’s not long before the seat heat has to be throttled down. I wonder if the unoccupied heated seats activated would contribute to cabin temperature.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #13
Zeroblade
Explodes on impact
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Mazda3

Didn't I see an option that warms up or cools the passenger cabin using the key fob? If not standard then should be coded (eventually). Idling engine from cold start is definitely bad long term wise. Ever since fuel injection replaced carburetors, warming up cars is old habit that no longer applies.

*work in progress*
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 09:24 AM   #14
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroblade View Post
Didn't I see an option that warms up or cools the passenger cabin using the key fob? If not standard then should be coded (eventually). Idling engine from cold start is definitely bad long term wise. Ever since fuel injection replaced carburetors, warming up cars is old habit that no longer applies.
I agree about the idling of cars. My one exception is when the car is parked outside and it snows or there has been freezing rain. Then I will start the car, turn on the electric defroster and start scraping. Normally by the time that I am done there is enough heat that the blower defroster will start to work.

As for the key fob, the regular ones does not. I am not sure about the display key for the X3. The display key for the 5 apparently can start the car.

I have driven in cold temperatures for decades but have never had a remote starter. Generally, they do not work well with manual transmissions and most of my cars were so equipped. In Canada many cars have block heaters. I have never had one for a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 11:41 AM   #15
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroblade View Post
Didn't I see an option that warms up or cools the passenger cabin using the key fob? If not standard then should be coded (eventually).
The way I read that feature is that if there is residual warmth remaining in the engine block you can transfer that coolant heat into the cabin. Not sure if there is an actually electric coolant pump though (??). Wouldn't work after a cold night in our neck of the woods. I put a Viper remote start and alarm on my Transit van and it works great for warm ups. My first time having one. I just have to remember to preset the heater controls for max heat and defrost, and TURN DOWN THE RADIO, since it will blast the neighborhood otherwise.

I suppose they had to cut this option thing off somewhere, I don't think the former X3 ever ventured into the $60K US territory before. (Don't quote me).
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #16
BMWX3DRIVER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
As for the key fob, the regular ones does not. I am not sure about the display key for the X3. The display key for the 5 apparently can start the car.
I was confirmed by salesperson again.
Display Key (at least for Canadian X3) only has same function as the phone app, and remote start is not supported.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #17
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
I thought I recognized that handle/username of yours! Good one!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2017, 10:17 AM   #18
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

Future hack/coding on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHPsedan View Post
I'm guessing not. I think it's a German car thing that they don't allow running the car without someone in it.
The more I look at this it seems this is simply a marketing cut-off of features available on our X3. The 5 & 7 series have the remote start and remote park feature, doesn't the G01 have all the necessary electro-mechanical equipment to do these tasks? It has push-button start, already has cameras, radar, and self park from within the cabin. It's -2°F with -21°F wind chill this morning.

Last edited by Keweenawbee; 12-25-2017 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2017, 01:00 PM   #19
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
The more I look at this it seems this is simply a marketing cut-off of features available on our X3. The 5 & 7 series have the remote start and remote park feature, doesn't the G01 have all the necessary electro-mechanical equipment to do these tasks? It has push-button start, already has cameras, radar, and self park from within the cabin. It's -2°F with -21°F wind chill this morning.
I suspect that the next X5 will have it. If they made all the cool features available on the X3 it would be harder to "up sell" to the X5. Sure the X5 will be bigger, but not too much or it will hurt the X7 etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #20
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

OK, this morning I went through the sub zero temp winter warmup routine and indeed the vehicle will lock albeit with two horn honks to warn you (that it is already too late) that you may have left your fob in the car, or that your engine is still running. It did the same horn honks with the engine running when I pressed the lock button to close the rear hatch. So much for the neighbors sleeping soundly those cold mornings, but I am relieved that we can do this.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #21
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHPsedan View Post
I'm not sure I believe this. The Mercedes-Benz GLC offers remote start with climate control standard for 5 years.

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehic...way_innovation
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #22
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
OK, this morning I went through the sub zero temp winter warmup routine and indeed the vehicle will lock albeit with two horn honks to warn you (that it is already too late) that you may have left your fob in the car, or that your engine is still running. It did the same horn honks with the engine running when I pressed the lock button to close the rear hatch. So much for the neighbors sleeping soundly those cold mornings, but I am relieved that we can do this.
Alas, I was unable to defeat via the iDrive (in the doors/locks setting area) the double horn honks that occur when locking the vehicle with the motor running.

I think that variable applies only to the pleasant chirps you hear when locking the vehicle with the motor off. I've only tried it once and for one profile so more experimenting to follow.
Appreciate 0