BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-20-2020, 02:01 PM   #1
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

How to reset certain error lights

An ABS wheel speed sensor decided to give it up and set off a number of error idiot lights. I've replaced the defective sensor and have regained full power steering and throttle, which were subdued automatically as a way for the car to somewhat protect itself. Now that its done, I would like to reset the error lights but don't have the tools to do it. Is there any way to do it via the car, like press this and hold that or ???

- ABS light is on
- Brake light is on
- Chassis Stabilization error msg is displayed
- Engine light is on
- DSC light is on
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:18 PM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

You might try the Idrive: Vehicle Info > Vehicle Status > scroll down to the warning triangle and click on that, see if the errors show and you can reset.

The faults 'may' reset on their own as you continue to drive the car. Some faults are 'hard', some are 'soft'. Soft fault codes will reset on their own - you might drive 100 or so miles and see, no harm done.

If they don't reset then you need a fault code scan tool - you can get a phone app like BimmerLink and companion wi-fi transmitter to plug into car's OBDII port, east to connect and run the app to clear codes.

Or, if you have a realtionship with an independant German car mechanic it's not much work at all for them to connect their diagnostic tool/scanner and reset the faults - know the guy well?....he might do it as a courtesty; it only takes a few minutes.

Last edited by Wgosma; 01-20-2020 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:54 PM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
You might try the Idrive: Vehicle Info > Vehicle Status > scroll down to the warning triangle and click on that, see if the errors show and you can reset.

The faults 'may' reset on their own as you continue to drive the car. Some faults are 'hard', some are 'soft'. Soft fault codes will reset on their own - you might drive 100 or so miles and see, no harm done.

If they don't reset then you need a fault code scan tool - you can get a phone app like BimmerLink and companion wi-fi transmitter to plug into car's OBDII port, east to connect and run the app to clear codes.

Or, if you have a realtionship with an independant German car mechanic it's not much work at all for them to connect their diagnostic tool/scanner and reset the faults - know the guy well?....he might do it as a courtesty; it only takes a few minutes.
Thanks Wgosma,
I tried to find a way via iDrive but none existed. So far I've driven around 40 miles since the new wheel speed sensor was installed. Thing is, if simply driving it doesn't work, I won't know if there are additional reasons for the continuation of the idiot lights or if they are the hard reset type. I know my brakes work well but don't know if the ABS feature works and really don't want to slam on the brakes to test it as I just installed new rotors and pads. I'm from NY but visiting my family in Florida so I don't have any relationships with anyone here :-(

I just started looking at OBD tools, there are a plethora of them and if I buy one I would like to get one that checks and resets any airbag errors as well as can code features in today's cars. In the meantime, it shouldn't take long to accumulate more miles on the car to see if they go away on their own. OSHA put a stop to auto parts stores resetting errors, they can only check for them.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:30 PM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

A regular OBDII scanner won't reset your ABS light or the traction control warning. And if they reset on their own, that is typically a function of numerous starts engine start cycles as opposed to miles. Give a few.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:33 PM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
A regular OBDII scanner won't reset your ABS light or the traction control warning. And if they reset on their own, that is typically a function of numerous starts engine start cycles as opposed to miles. Give a few.
Yeah, I see that. Looks like most OBDII scanners don't touch airbag issues and you have to buy a separate airbag reset device. Ugh. Still looking though.
I'm up to around 60 miles now since I replaced the wheel speed sensor, still have a christmas tree dash.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 07:00 PM   #6
littleob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e36ic, 2013 x3

coding

I just picked up a foxwell nt530 for under 200 usd that will reset all those codes including srs and air bag faults. I have a 2013 x3 and a classic 99 e36 convertible and it works great on both. It comes with lifetime updates. I am very happy with it and how well it works. best of all it paid for it self the first time I used it. The light issue won't go away on its own you will need to clear those codes with a tool. In Ma were I am you can't get an inspection sticker with error lights on. I had disconnected the air bag on the pass side in the convertible because I bring my dog with me everywhere. I bought the Foxwell to reset tha srs light for my sticker. good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 07:47 PM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleob View Post
I just picked up a foxwell nt530 for under 200 usd that will reset all those codes including srs and air bag faults. I have a 2013 x3 and a classic 99 e36 convertible and it works great on both. It comes with lifetime updates. I am very happy with it and how well it works. best of all it paid for it self the first time I used it. The light issue won't go away on its own you will need to clear those codes with a tool. In Ma were I am you can't get an inspection sticker with error lights on. I had disconnected the air bag on the pass side in the convertible because I bring my dog with me everywhere. I bought the Foxwell to reset tha srs light for my sticker. good luck
My bad for not updating my issue. I replaced both of the ABS wheel speed sensors that Bimmerlink told me were bad. I used Bimmerlink in combo with the Veepeak OBD BLE+ reader and was able to reset all lights. I suspect because I did not have a real airbag issue, it went away when I did the reset. I've now put about 1,500 miles on the car since I replaced the ABS wheel speed sensors and did the reset and all is well - back to normal
Appreciate 2
      03-15-2021, 09:48 PM   #8
MgalSF
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW x3 (2006)

BMW (x3) and Foxwell NT 530

I got a cheap "FixD" scanner for Xmas 2019.. didn't do much, but enough for me to buy a Foxwell NT530 to help me manage to constant(!!) maitenance/repair of my 2006 BMWx3...

When first bought, could easily fix whatever problem - and use the Foxwell to clear the codes off my dashboard.... now (a rare 3-4 months in-between a fix), I can't remember how to do this -- and the manual is not helping.

Anyone out there able to help. Did fix the (spark plug) problem, car is humming along better than in a loooooong while... but can't get the "check engine light" to go off.. (the Foxwell scanner is clean -- states zero problems)...

Thanks all (*I'm always amazed at how nice strangers are to one another on this site -- you guys rock!!!)
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 01:19 AM   #9
Beeming CalGal
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW BMW x3

Quote:
Dumb Question about your Foxwell NT530:

I also bought this scanner.. and I can't figure-out how to eliminate the 'check engine light' on my dashboard. A friend just replaced my s.plugs (6) + coils (6).. and when I scan w/ the NT530, now no codes.... but why can't I get the darn C.E.L. light to go off on the car itself? ughhh... I can't find this 'drill' in the manual, Foxwell helpdesk is slow - not helpful. Also can't find an answer on YouTube.

Can you please share any HOW's? Or points to videos, other sources.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 09:52 AM   #10
littleob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

you got me. I have never had that issue. I just go to clear codes and hit the button. I am sorry I can't be of more help. If you find an answer please post it here for the rest of folks that have one. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 08:14 AM   #11
ken_ccc
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
You did not have any issues passing inspection after resetting the srs light? I had the SRS light pop up on my X5, and my mechanic was able to clear it - he mentioned it had something to do with driver's resistance. However it still failed inspection. They said that they could see that the code had been cleared. Curious where you got your car inspected since we're from the same town! Or do you know if I need to drive it around for x amount of miles?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 04:32 PM   #12
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 35iX/'20 440ix cabrio

In an emissions check, they're really only looking for the readiness codes. Here's a basic article on it https://repairpal.com/drive-cycle-em...iness-monitors

It's this that they determined had been reset too recently. Were you clearing an airbag code? Did you clear it by clearing ALL faults? Retest it but only clear the specific fault.
2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio w/MPPSK - This car is a blast to drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 08:09 PM   #13
littleob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_ccc View Post
You did not have any issues passing inspection after resetting the srs light? I had the SRS light pop up on my X5, and my mechanic was able to clear it - he mentioned it had something to do with driver's resistance. However it still failed inspection. They said that they could see that the code had been cleared. Curious where you got your car inspected since we're from the same town! Or do you know if I need to drive it around for x amount of miles?
I go to South Shore BMW in Rockland. All I can say is on my convertible I disconnect the passenger side air bag as my Golden Retrever rides in the front seat. Last sticker I reset it in the back of the dealership drove around and into the inspection bay. I was out the door in 20 min with a sticker. On my x3, I just removed the sheep skin seat Covers to have them cleaned.. when you remove the head rests you trip a SRS code having to disengage the active headrest. I will reset tomorrow as I will be getting a sticker @ SSBMW. I never have an issue there.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 12:26 PM   #14
littleob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Hey Ken I wanted to get back to you about the sticker. I just reset the codes and drove to Holbrook to get a sticker. I wanted to see about your questions. There is a drive cycle that must be performed after resetting the abs. I checked with my friend @ SSBMW about why my convertible didn't he thinks it was because of the year as it is a 99 and there really was nothing wrong. I just pulled the plug on pas air bag but he really didn't have a good answer his words.
Sorry for the misinformation
Jack
Appreciate 0