BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-10-2020, 08:23 PM   #1
frogman27
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3

Drivetrain malfunction and warranty

Hi.
I read so many articles before writing this.
So My 2013 x3 28i died in the middle of highway. first, engine oil pressure low light came out. I stopped the car and wait about 10min and light gone. It happend like 3 times. Afterthat, drivetrain malfunction came up and slowly died. And I was towed by truck at $800(about 150miles) to back home.
I saw there is 7years 70kmiles Warranty for timing chain and oil pump. My car is 91,*** miles. I think I’m out of warranty
But! There was website www.bmw-rp.com
I put my vin number and I could select that warranty.
So is that mean I can get service under warranty?

Should I try change ignition coil or spark plug first?

I don’t know what to do and I’m very depressed.
Someone please help me!!!
Please...

I recently refill windshield fluid and spilt little bit around hole. And I put liqui moly fuel injection cleaner when my gas was at half level. Afterthat I drove with 80mph for 2 hours.
Attached Images

Last edited by frogman27; 01-11-2020 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 01:18 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Just because your VIN is included under the extended warranty does not mean you are covered. BMW has no way to know how many miles are on your car. They are just saying if you have less than 70k, then your car is covered. You can ask them to give you some goodwill help, but at 91k I would not get your hopes up. Don't waste money on other stuff. Get it inspected, but prepare for bad news.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 12:26 PM   #3
marc x
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 stock

In the front of the engine there are oil check plug. Unscrew them and check for any debris in them
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 02:56 PM   #4
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Would like to know if you used ECO PRO much...Was your vehicle serviced with BMW after the included service period? If you have a good relationship with the brand they may look after you....
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 10:26 PM   #5
frogman27
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Just because your VIN is included under the extended warranty does not mean you are covered. BMW has no way to know how many miles are on your car. They are just saying if you have less than 70k, then your car is covered. You can ask them to give you some goodwill help, but at 91k I would not get your hopes up. Don't waste money on other stuff. Get it inspected, but prepare for bad news.
Thank you. I’ll check on monday and share the result.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 10:28 PM   #6
frogman27
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbofraggins View Post
Would like to know if you used ECO PRO much...Was your vehicle serviced with BMW after the included service period? If you have a good relationship with the brand they may look after you....
I think I usually keep driving with ECO mode.
My car had service only at bmw center.
But last month, I changed engine oil in outside shop.
I will check on Monday calling service center and share the result.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 05:10 PM   #7
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Thanks for the update... eco pro use may have been behind the failure.... Link provided for info... https://techmax.ca/BMW-repair/proble...-timing-chain/
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 06:21 PM   #8
Iowa X3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbofraggins View Post
Thanks for the update... eco pro use may have been behind the failure.... Link provided for info... https://techmax.ca/BMW-repair/proble...-timing-chain/
Interesting info, thanks for the link. The theory they lay out there makes sense.

I think a big issue (aside from the actual physical failure of the guides, of course) is that drivers continue to try to run the engine and drive the vehicle while oil pressure warnings are showing on the dash. I think a lot of these engines would be salvageable if not for that, whereas many of the stories we see result in full engine replacement being needed.
Appreciate 0