BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-17-2019, 03:19 PM   #23
TX3M
Car guy
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundown View Post
Would look good - but they've never had special fenders for the X5M. They did, however, always have a unique bumper/classically centered quad exhaust. The visual effect of which was (IMHO) to make the rear seem wider by virtue of a smaller rear bumper.
Those are not the "stock" X5 fenders. Looks like that's an X5 with the "M Sport" package" fenders, which are definitely wider. They should have done the same wider fender treatment on the X3M and X4M.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 03:41 PM   #24
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
Same with Chicago.
I couldn't believe it...I didn't know when I showed up, been going to Chicago's show for years and didn't even bother to check. Really disappointing.

Last edited by dmboone25; 04-17-2019 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 04:12 PM   #25
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
I'm pretty sure I would just be happy to ride around in a new X3M with Ms Kelly Cha for the day listening to her tell me about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 05:31 PM   #26
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yes!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 06:58 PM   #27
bmwmgens
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 LimeRock M2 - F80 '16 6MT

Eyeing those black grilles....
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 07:10 PM   #28
GuyOh
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LB M2 / 2020 X5 40i

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
2020 Bmw X5 40i  [0.00]
Why is there so little amount of pictures posted? So many more pictures posted on different car sites
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #29
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3M View Post
Quote:
Would look good - but they've never had special fenders for the X5M. They did, however, always have a unique bumper/classically centered quad exhaust. The visual effect of which was (IMHO) to make the rear seem wider by virtue of a smaller rear bumper.
Those are not the "stock" X5 fenders. Looks like that's an X5 with the "M Sport" package" fenders, which are definitely wider. They should have done the same wider fender treatment on the X3M and X4M.
The F85 and F15 had the same fenders (and same plastic fender flares as the Msport). The only difference was the rear bumper (exhaust, etc.). Sheet metal was the same on all iterations.

Again, some differentiation would be cool...but it would the exception, not the rule, for an M SUV.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 08:34 PM   #30
ST3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Zero BMW presence at New York Auto Show. 👎🏻
Thanks for saving me a trip.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 12:37 AM   #31
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

What's everybody's thoughts on the 2020 Porsche Cayenne Coupe's Carbon Fiber Roof and BMW's X4 M not having one. I am quite shocked BMW drop the ball on this, clearly it should've came with a sleek carbon fiber roof option.

I personally have NO desire for a moonroof, especially a heavy panoramic moonroof. The X M's are supposed to be sporty as they can be.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
JustChris17426.00
      04-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #32
Brucecris
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post

Starts at 9:57. Not much to see unfortunately as it is overshadowed by 3 series long wheelbase for China.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/x3...hai-motor-show

Attachment 2033079

Attachment 2033080

Attachment 2033081

Attachment 2033082
That's silver is outstanding.
      04-18-2019, 09:33 AM   #33
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuibmw View Post
Double Zero for no appearance @DC Auto Show :
Same with Chicago.
Strange no presence at San Francisco show either,hummm? Nice pictures overall,I am partial to the X4M , imho better lines
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 10:24 AM   #34
Barathon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Wonder what blue this is? It doesn't look right for Phytonic..or are the lights just making it look different?

Appreciate 1
GuyOh1064.00
      04-18-2019, 10:36 AM   #35
TX3M
Car guy
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
The F85 and F15 had the same fenders (and same plastic fender flares as the Msport). The only difference was the rear bumper (exhaust, etc.). Sheet metal was the same on all iterations.

Again, some differentiation would be cool...but it would the exception, not the rule, for an M SUV.
I did not know that, thanks for clarifying.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 10:42 AM   #36
t3rla
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i X-Drive e92

Could use a new bike

I know we are all here for the cars, yet those "M" style bikes are pretty slick
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 02:57 PM   #37
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barathon View Post
Wonder what blue this is? It doesn't look right for Phytonic..or are the lights just making it look different?

I'm pretty sure it is Phytonic Blue.

Appreciate 1
GuyOh1064.00
      04-18-2019, 07:47 PM   #38
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

wow looks fantastic in phytonic blue. I was waiting to see this color on the M. I find PB looks goofy on the M40i due to the ugly trim pieces and gray wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 09:46 PM   #39
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

BMWBlog photos:
https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/04/16/l...from-shanghai/

and video:
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 02:03 PM   #40
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
What's everybody's thoughts on the 2020 Porsche Cayenne Coupe's Carbon Fiber Roof and BMW's X4 M not having one. I am quite shocked BMW drop the ball on this, clearly it should've came with a sleek carbon fiber roof option.

I personally have NO desire for a moonroof, especially a heavy panoramic moonroof. The X M's are supposed to be sporty as they can be.
I'm with you on that. BMW a few years back made a BIG deal about having their own CFRP factory and set up....but I've yet to see very much materialise, the Carbon Core of the 7 was the last time there was any PR?

Back on topic for some reason YES I was just playing on the Porsche configurator earlier today and it was great to see the option there. Apples to Oranges but also the Jag F-Pace has that. I'm a paying customer milk me for maybe up to about £3k for a CF roof YES PLEASE. I agree it seem odd. I must admit if you don't want M pace the Coupe Cayenne, dare I say it has some reasonable value. Ishhhh.

I have a 40D X3 right now, I think I'm trying hard to talk myself into an X4M currently.
Max Well4692.00
      04-30-2019, 06:23 PM   #41
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:

I'm with you on that. BMW a few years back made a BIG deal about having their own CFRP factory and set up....but I've yet to see very much materialise, the Carbon Core of the 7 was the last time there was any PR?

Back on topic for some reason YES I was just playing on the Porsche configurator earlier today and it was great to see the option there. Apples to Oranges but also the Jag F-Pace has that. I'm a paying customer milk me for maybe up to about £3k for a CF roof YES PLEASE. I agree it seem odd. I must admit if you don't want M pace the Coupe Cayenne, dare I say it has some reasonable value. Ishhhh.

I have a 40D X3 right now, I think I'm trying hard to talk myself into an X4M currently.
Yes, I pretty much agree, everyone seems to be bitching about 300 pounds additional weight, haven't confirmed or check that out myself.

One of the points of purchasing an M SAC vehicle is to keep the upper weight down so you can have more performance regarding handling. You can do that by eliminating a moonroof and especially the hideous panoramic roof which I'm sure is extremely heavy. I prefer something solid such as metal or carbon fiber over my head in case of any collusion or rollover. Always wanted a moonroof, but once we got one we never used it besides for venting. I found it to be distracting while just having the interior screen open to what's in front of me, I prefer to focus on the road and not get skin cancer and cook my head while driving. And there is definitely a big difference when deleting a moonroof approximately 40+ pounds, it is definitely less top-heavy and you definitely notice it going in and out of corners.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
JustChris17426.00
Max Well4692.00
      04-30-2019, 06:36 PM   #42
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, I pretty much agree, everyone seems to be bitching about 300 pounds additional weight, haven't confirmed or check that out myself.

One of the points of purchasing an M SAC vehicle is to keep the upper weight down so you can have more performance regarding handling. You can do that by eliminating a moonroof and especially the hideous panoramic roof which I'm sure is extremely heavy. I prefer something solid such as metal or carbon fiber over my head in case of any collusion or rollover. Always wanted a moonroof, but once we got one we never used it besides for venting. I found it to be distracting while just having the interior screen open to what's in front of me, I prefer to focus on the road and not get skin cancer and cook my head while driving. And there is definitely a difference when deleting a moonroof approximately 40+ pounds, it is definitely less top-heavy and you definitely notice it going in and out of corners.
Exactly. Also I'd point to the press release where it states there's some extra bracing for improved handling characteristics:

BMW Press Release ...
Far-reaching measures for strengthening the body and suspension mounting points have a beneficial effect on steering precision and response. The first-ever BMW X3 M, BMW X4 M and Competition models all come with an M-specific bracing package at the front end, whose key element is a high-precision strut brace in the engine compartment that links the shock towers. In August 2019, an exceptionally light, extremely strong high-precision strut brace made from carbon fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP) is set to join the options list as an alternative to the standard item. In addition, an A-strut has been incorporated into the front section near the firewall, with two further struts increasing stiffness between the shock towers and the front of the car. The body's torsional stiffness is further enhanced by a large rear brace and model-specific rear axle control arms.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4692.00
      04-30-2019, 06:44 PM   #43
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ando View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

One of the points of purchasing an M SAC vehicle is to keep the upper weight down so you can have more performance regarding handling. You can do that by eliminating a moonroof and especially the hideous panoramic roof which I'm sure is extremely heavy. I prefer something solid such as metal or carbon fiber over my head in case of any collusion or rollover. Always wanted a moonroof, but once we got one we never used it besides for venting. I found it to be distracting while just having the interior screen open to what's in front of me, I prefer to focus on the road and not get skin cancer and cook my head while driving. And there is definitely a difference when deleting a moonroof approximately 40+ pounds, it is definitely less top-heavy and you definitely notice it going in and out of corners.
Exactly. Also I'd point to the press release where it states there's some extra bracing for improved handling characteristics:

BMW Press Release ...
Far-reaching measures for strengthening the body and suspension mounting points have a beneficial effect on steering precision and response. The first-ever BMW X3 M, BMW X4 M and Competition models all come with an M-specific bracing package at the front end, whose key element is a high-precision strut brace in the engine compartment that links the shock towers. In August 2019, an exceptionally light, extremely strong high-precision strut brace made from carbon fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP) is set to join the options list as an alternative to the standard item. In addition, an A-strut has been incorporated into the front section near the firewall, with two further struts increasing stiffness between the shock towers and the front of the car. The body's torsional stiffness is further enhanced by a large rear brace and model-specific rear axle control arms.
Oh absolutely that they needed to add braces, all should be carbon fiber when possible. Add weight in the engine bay is fine, but then eliminate the weight off the roof such as offering a Carbon Fiber Roof option. Make sense to me!

And YES I would want to put a Thule Rack on my Carbon Fiber Roof. I want it lightweight but still desire the added utility when needed. Best of both worlds!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ando1954.50
      05-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #44
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

OK, I was just at the local dealership here in New York today and I finally saw an X4 with no roof rails. But to my dismay there is NO location where you could mount a rack directly to the roofs sub frame.

Owners will know this better than I. Please feel free to comment on this, as to me this is a big deal. One of the reasons to get an X4 or an X3 in any version is to have added utility. But with the X4 their obviously is added lower profile coupe styling and vibe which I completely prefer.

I definitely want to be able to put a Thule Rack onto the roof. So it looks as of now you have to get the roof rails to mount anything to the roof. When you delete the rails all that is there is a solid strip of plastic going the whole length of the roof, as pictured. I have installed plenty of roof racks when I worked at a high-end Ski & Boat Shop. And every brand of vehicle I found their standard roof rails to be subpar and incredibly cheap and cheaply mounted. So I found mounting directly onto the roof sub frame was always sturdier. I also noticed the strip of plastic on other BMW vehicles models at the dealership today with NO flaps for mounting, that is always been a BMW standard and I'm shocked to see that now not available with some models.

So to make you guys aware, if you want to have a Rack on your SAC or SAV you will definitely need to get the BMW Roof Rails.

What looks better? Well that's up to the individual. I prefer without, BUT if your choosing to eventually put a Rack on your roof of your brand new SUV it definitely looks like your going to need to get the roof rails. BMW roof rails are solidly installed to the roof, it's the mounting to the BMW Rails which I've always taken issue with.

And I don't like that the X4 does NOT have interior roof handrails either. That boggles the mind.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0