BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-08-2020, 11:39 AM   #1
justanotherx3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
My wife and I want to tow a teardrop style trailer for a night or two up in the mountains. We don't have a hitch or tow package that I'm aware of, on our 2019 30i. I also know absolutely nothing about towing, hitches, etc.

What would be the best way to get a hitch installed with all the necessary safety components? From a dealer, or from an aftermarket place?

Recommendations on brands/OE, on how best to get one hooked up, and tips on how to drive with one?
Appreciate 1
chassis6537.50
      03-08-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Lots of help online. Google can be friendly in this instance.

I have towed for over 30 years, pulling things from rowboats to 32' travel trailers, tens of thousands of miles.

For towing in general, and specifically for a teardrop:
- rv.net
- etrailer.com

Installing a hitch on the X3 after the sale will be expensive at a dealer, if you can find a dealer willing to do the work. Some (many, most?) dealers are not interested in this project, because they can't turn and burn like they can with oil changes and warranty work.

U-Haul is one source for an aftermarket hitch. There are likely other options in your area. Stop by U-Haul or other shops in your area, and ask them for advice.

Reese is an established brand of hitch hardware. Safety chains are mandatory. Understanding of the trailer light electric receptacle is helpful. A padlock for the coupler is nice to have, but not mandatory.

Regarding driving. Braking while towing requires more time and distance than it does with no trailer load. Steering (lane changes) requires a slower, steadier hand at freeway speeds. Turning at traffic lights and intersections requires a wider berth to avoid hitting the curb or dropping a wheel off the shoulder. Backing a trailer is an intermediate or even advanced level skill. For a beginner it's a good idea to practice maneuvering the trailer through all of the motions in a large, empty parking lot, before venturing into the wild.

Last edited by chassis; 03-08-2020 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 07:06 PM   #3
justanotherx3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Lots of help online. Google can be friendly in this instance.

I have towed for over 30 years, pulling things from rowboats to 32' travel trailers, tens of thousands of miles.

For towing in general, and specifically for a teardrop:
- rv.net
- etrailer.com

Installing a hitch on the X3 after the sale will be expensive at a dealer, if you can find a dealer willing to do the work. Some (many, most?) dealers are not interested in this project, because they can't turn and burn like they can with oil changes and warranty work.

U-Haul is one source for an aftermarket hitch. There are likely other options in your area. Stop by U-Haul or other shops in your area, and ask them for advice.

Reese is an established brand of hitch hardware. Safety chains are mandatory. Understanding of the trailer light electric receptacle is helpful. A padlock for the coupler is nice to have, but not mandatory.

Regarding driving. Braking while towing requires more time and distance than it does with no trailer load. Steering (lane changes) requires a slower, steadier hand at freeway speeds. Turning at traffic lights and intersections requires a wider berth to avoid hitting the curb or dropping a wheel off the shoulder. Backing a trailer is an intermediate or even advanced level skill. For a beginner it's a good idea to practice maneuvering the trailer through all of the motions in a large, empty parking lot, before venturing into the wild.
Thank you sir! Awesome resources. I looked at some aftermarket hitches (Stealth, Execu-something) and they are a bit more than I want to pay, given I'll rarely tow anything.
Appreciate 0