BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-18-2019, 12:43 PM   #1
Deliberate2
Private
Rep
Drives: '72 2002 (RIP)

What to Wrap?

I am discussing a wrap job with the dealer which uses the Auto Bahn product. I could not find any information on it and want to know if it is any good.
Second, they talked about doing the front half of the hood, bumper cover and headlights. Any other areas that I should consider. I was thinking the rear view mirrors and perhaps side fender panels that are subject to road spray.
You thoughts?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 02:26 PM   #2
G01Mike
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue

I don't know about that brand of PPF but I would consider a full hood and fender wrap along with the bumper and headlights. If you are ok with a line across your hold and fenders then half would be ok. Certain colors are easier to see than others. I also included the side mirrors and the tailgate threshold. Wish I would have remembered to have them do under the door handles as well.
Appreciate 1
sikotic482.00
      03-18-2019, 03:49 PM   #3
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

I bought an 18" kit for my hood last year but was busy, then winter hit, so my hood has remained unprotected for 7 months now. Nary a chip, which makes me think the paint is pretty robust and you probably don't need to go mental with the film other than high risk areas. I've gotten 4-5 pretty good pits/chips in the windshield in the same period, so that glass is a much bigger concern to me.

I did put film in one rear door area -- the handle cup, along the door edge, and on the threshold -- as that is where my daughter gets in and out for school every weekday. Been happy with that and it's not even visible (Phytonic blue).

If you have a lighter color, then the edges will be noticeable and the film will need to be replaced in 3-5 years when it starts to lose its luster and clarity. If you plan to keep the car for a long time then I'd be strategic with the film knowing it's not going to last forever and will need periodic replacement.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 12:01 AM   #4
BuddhaTB
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
I had the full front end of my X3 wrapped in Xpel Ultimate Plus. This included bumper, full hood, full fenders, and mirrors. I really liked how it turned out and would highly recommend going full hood and fenders so there's no seam in the middle.
Attached Images

Last edited by BuddhaTB; 03-19-2019 at 11:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 01:43 AM   #5
marcati
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

I did the front end, hood, fenders, and windshield. They said that's what most people do to protect from rocks, etc.
Appreciate 0