BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-29-2017, 02:56 PM   #221
bmrwrld
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by apptest View Post
Works now ...
Did the designer not have a protractor for the wheel well.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 04:06 PM   #222
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
After watching the video, the ability to swap out to all-black kidneys is not going to be easy anymore. They adapt aerodynamically to driving conditions / speed / wind etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrwrld View Post
Did the designer not have a protractor for the wheel well.
If you watch the video, the designer explains why the wheel well is shaped that way...which everyone will start copying.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 04:30 PM   #223
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Just one more view, this time at the 30'10" time mark - on the other X3 clearly also seems to show the air breather's inlet...

It makes absolutely no sense for this model to be an outlier for their aerodynamic design, and if it isn't needed, then close the gap with the body. I have to think that somehow Calvin just blanked when asked whether it was functional or not during the filming. But he clearly indicates the air curtain is functional and this was "more of a decorative element", which is the only reason I paid attention to this - otherwise I would have viewed it as just a mistake by the show's Reporter. Hopefully someone who has seen it in person can confirm, or perhaps Scott.
Attached Images

Last edited by Max Well; 07-03-2017 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: Made image size smaller
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 05:28 PM   #224
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
First real life preview, not marketing stuff! More details not shown previously! Yes the cheap hard plastic is still there :-(

In depth view. Nice!

Favorite part, "I think I can fit two fists inside."

Referring to the massive exhausts tips of course.
Appreciate 1
kozzi927.00
      06-29-2017, 08:57 PM   #225
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Air breathers

On the 2018 4-series vehicles, if you get a sport or luxury line model, the vent is open from the rear of the wheel well to the fender outlet. If you get a M sport model, it is closed up (from both inside the wheel well and on the exterior fender trim). I can only assume this has something to do with the unique aero package the M sport models get, and as they were working out the aerodynamic tuning, they determined it should be closed up (either to lower drag or increase downforce, or some combination). Could be the same case with the new X3, and may depend on whether or not the vehicle has the M aero package.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 09:12 PM   #226
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMdblU View Post
is it me or did we lose the central climate wheel on the center console?
Damn!

I honestly love that simple little feature...Now they f'ed it up and shoved it in the idrive...

Only work around is a programmable button...

Seriously, leave the damn wheel alone
      06-30-2017, 07:59 AM   #227
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

The X3 is about to pass the 3-series in US sales, and once it does, there will be no turning back. Which is why the features, performance and styling of the G01 is even more interesting to me than the upcoming G20.
Appreciate 2
kozzi927.00
JustChris17483.00
      06-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #228
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Quote:
First real life preview, not marketing stuff! More details not shown previously! Yes the cheap hard plastic is still there :-(

long video... so been watching it in sections... about half way through... liking what i seen so far.

This guy as a presenter is horrible tho lol
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 10:56 AM   #229
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Just one more view, this time at the 30'10" time mark - on the other X3 clearly also seems to show the air breather's inlet...

It makes absolutely no sense for this model to be an outlier for their aerodynamic design, and if it isn't needed, then close the gap with the body. I have to think that somehow Calvin just blanked when asked whether it was functional or not during the filming. But he clearly indicates the air curtain is functional and this was "more of a decorative element", which is the only reason I paid attention to this - otherwise I would have viewed it as just a mistake by the show's Reporter. Hopefully someone who has seen it in person can confirm, or perhaps Scott.
Why would they design air to flow through the front air vents only to hit the back of the wheel well? Wouldn't that cause drag? I always assumed they were functional.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #230
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTMGRT View Post
In depth view. Nice!

Favorite part, "I think I can fit two fists inside."

Referring to the massive exhausts tips of course.

2021 BMW X3MC
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 11:01 AM   #231
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
long video... so been watching it in sections... about half way through... liking what i seen so far.

This guy as a presenter is horrible tho lol
Agreed. After 2 minutes i started fast forwarding.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 03:11 PM   #232
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
On the 2018 4-series vehicles, if you get a sport or luxury line model, the vent is open from the rear of the wheel well to the fender outlet. If you get a M sport model, it is closed up (from both inside the wheel well and on the exterior fender trim). I can only assume this has something to do with the unique aero package the M sport models get, and as they were working out the aerodynamic tuning, they determined it should be closed up (either to lower drag or increase downforce, or some combination). Could be the same case with the new X3, and may depend on whether or not the vehicle has the M aero package.
Could very well be, skier - your discussion sure seems logical. But it is difficult to find consistency across their M model line-up if the assumption is that the M aero design makes it unnecessary. The M6 has neither curtains or breathers, the M2 only the curtains (no breathers), but the M3, M4, X5M and X6M have both curtains and breathers. As we're close to being a mini X5, I'm surprised with the performance of the M40i we wouldn't have similar aerodynamic requirements, but with all of the work they have put in on the G01's underbody, flow patterns in the front wheel housings may be different now, I don't know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
Why would they design air to flow through the front air vents only to hit the back of the wheel well? Wouldn't that cause drag? I always assumed they were functional.
The purpose and benefits of the different aerodynamic elements initially confused me quite a bit as well, Kozzi, but they have an interesting virtual page which helped to clarify for me how the curtains, breathers, blades, and vents are meant to work.
http://www.bmw.com.hr/com/en/insight...mics_2013.html So, the curtains apparently guide the air flow laterally to the outside of the wheels, which smooths the turbulence caused by the housings. The breathers channel the turbulence in the front wheel housings coming in (from underbody and/or ?) thereby reducing air currents and the aerodynamic drag. So for the models that don't have the breathers, I guess it suggests their underbody designs have now improved this incoming disruptive flow pattern so it is not such a major problem for some of the G01 model designs? Clearly just guessing here, but am trying to understand the reasoning...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 05:40 PM   #233
mindanalyzer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 Xdrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoNorthShore View Post
M40i in Phytonic Blue ext and Cognac interior will also be my next vehicle for the right price, if too expensive, then will settle for 30i w/ Msport pack in same specs. My 2015 BMW X3 lease ends this December so great timing
Exactly my thoughts, ... although the M40i is a dream!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 05:50 PM   #234
mindanalyzer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 Xdrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLZ View Post
This new X3 looks way better than the new gen Q5. Interior also looks so much better. Good job BMW.
Agree, I hate the Q5's rounded profile; I just can't stand these egg-y profiles in some Audis and infinitis.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 06:09 PM   #235
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindanalyzer View Post
Agree, I hate the Q5's rounded profile; I just can't stand these egg-y profiles in some Audis and infinitis.
GLC too...The GLK at least had some personality. I loved that vehicle, but the interior was so lacking. Almost pulled the trigger on GLK diesel before I picked up my F'10 for a few years.

X3 40i definitely on my next car list. Gotta say I love the new Countryman too...
      06-30-2017, 07:41 PM   #236
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Could very well be, skier - your discussion sure seems logical. But it is difficult to find consistency across their M model line-up if the assumption is that the M aero design makes it unnecessary. The M6 has neither curtains or breathers, the M2 only the curtains (no breathers), but the M3, M4, X5M and X6M have both curtains and breathers. As we're close to being a mini X5, I'm surprised with the performance of the M40i we wouldn't have similar aerodynamic requirements, but with all of the work they have put in on the G01's underbody, flow patterns in the front wheel housings may be different now, I don't know.

The purpose and benefits of the different aerodynamic elements initially confused me quite a bit as well, Kozzi, but they have an interesting virtual page which helped to clarify for me how the curtains, breathers, blades, and vents are meant to work.
http://www.bmw.com.hr/com/en/insight...mics_2013.html So, the curtains apparently guide the air flow laterally to the outside of the wheels, which smooths the turbulence caused by the housings. The breathers channel the turbulence in the front wheel housings coming in (from underbody and/or ?) thereby reducing air currents and the aerodynamic drag. So for the models that don't have the breathers, I guess it suggests their underbody designs have now improved this incoming disruptive flow pattern so it is not such a major problem for some of the G01 model designs? Clearly just guessing here, but am trying to understand the reasoning...

I work aerodynamics for my day job -- mostly airplanes and rockets, but have worked on 18-wheelers and some race cars. Sometimes it's hard to find aerodynamic consistency across a range of vehicles or even the same vehicle when you look at the whole envelope of conditions. What works here doesn't work there, etc. Everything is a compromise with a fixed geometry. You'll see variable geometry (think spoilers that pop up at certain speeds, etc) to try to optimize for different parts of the envelope, but that adds complexity and weight and isn't a sure bet on a system level. Overall, it wouldn't surprise me to see a whole lot of inconsistency across a vehicle lineup if BMW is serious about aerodynamics and takes the time to really flush things out.

The other thing that wouldn't surprise me is if they discover some of this stuff with trial and error in a wind tunnel. It may be that when developing the aerodynamic package for the different lines of a vehicle, they try with and without the various vents, and they probably fiddle with tape over the openings to see what works best. On the 4-series sport/luxury models, the curtain vent is open from the front bumper to the front of the wheelwell, and the breather is open from the rear of the wheewell to the fender. On the M-sport model, only the front curtain vent is open, but the rear breather is closed. For whatever reason, that arrangement must have worked better for M-sport. Could have been drag, downforce, or some combination. Due to the higher speeds these models are allowed to run to, I'd almost bet it was a downforce consideration.

The last thing I want to mention is that a lot of aerodynamic tricks like these vents aren't so much about flow as they are about communicating pressure. For drag reduction you want to reduce the pressure on forward facing surfaces and increase it on rearward facing surfaces. For downforce you want to increase pressure on upper surfaces and reduce it on lower surfaces. The vents are more about communicating pressure to attain these goals -- they are not large enough to really pass a meaningful amount of flow, but they can pass a little bit of flow to relieve a high pressure area or boost up a low pressure area. All of that in turn can have a big effect on flow in/around the wheels/wheelwells and down the side of the vehicle, for a larger "net" gain.
Appreciate 3
syenisch109.50
kozzi927.00
sinbad4779.50
      06-30-2017, 11:14 PM   #237
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
If you go to Spartanburg for PCD, they let you drive either F15s or F25s on some crazy off-road adventures. After doing that 2x, I'm convinced these machines can handle some serious terrain.

This has always been there, but it's the first time BMW is touting an X series vehicle for off-roading in marketing material. I can tell you my X4 with sports suspension hates anything rough!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 04:44 AM   #238
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
I work aerodynamics for my day job -- mostly airplanes and rockets, but have worked on 18-wheelers and some race cars. Sometimes it's hard to find aerodynamic consistency across a range of vehicles or even the same vehicle when you look at the whole envelope of conditions. What works here doesn't work there, etc. ...
Wonderful explanation, skier - thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 07:35 AM   #239
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This has always been there, but it's the first time BMW is touting an X series vehicle for off-roading in marketing material. I can tell you my X4 with sports suspension hates anything rough!
Understood. Which is why I'm thinking the M40i might ride quite a bit better with the 19"/20" vs 21s.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 12:02 PM   #240
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Understood. Which is why I'm thinking the M40i might ride quite a bit better with the 19"/20" vs 21s.
They may surprise us, hope one can opt out of the run flats and have a spare tire.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 12:45 AM   #241
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

The msport bumpers looking good...too bad it seems if,you want the M40i you can't get this bumper.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 09:00 AM   #242
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The msport bumpers looking good...too bad it seems if,you want the M40i you can't get this bumper.

That is the same bumper as M40i.
Appreciate 0