BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-06-2020, 06:08 PM   #1
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita

Any speeding tickets yet?

I drive without a radar and just driving in soort mode is very fun and addicting. Problem is i go way over speed limit and dont wanna be a cautionary tale. Anyone get speeding ticket or collision so i can change now?

Its funny and strange though that two times i should have gotten a ticket (cutting a cop where i should have yield and other time doing a uturn right in front a cop and he saw)

Not sure if covid had to due to with anything? Or riots where police is the bad guy now in many eyes but i wanna get reformed and drove better my driving record is clean for last 3 years
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 06:55 PM   #2
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
I drive without a radar and just driving in soort mode is very fun and addicting. Problem is i go way over speed limit and dont wanna be a cautionary tale. Anyone get speeding ticket or collision so i can change now?

Its funny and strange though that two times i should have gotten a ticket (cutting a cop where i should have yield and other time doing a uturn right in front a cop and he saw)

Not sure if covid had to due to with anything? Or riots where police is the bad guy now in many eyes but i wanna get reformed and drove better my driving record is clean for last 3 years
You might need a ticket to motivate you to change your ways....
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2020, 08:26 PM   #3
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Strangely, I've noticed that it's other drivers that have a bias against my car and my driving, not police. In a Honda Accord, I never had anywhere near the amount of hostility on the road regarding being cut off, etc. In fact, I've blatantly and inadvertantly sped past cops on several occasions, but I guess they see a nice car and give me a pass, as opposed to a lesser vehicle. Shrug. I even passed the vehicle going 5 under across a double yellow line, and passed him at about double the speed limit. when completing the pass, I noticed there was a cop behind the car behind me. Nothing.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 01:43 AM   #4
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias1431 View Post
Strangely, I've noticed that it's other drivers that have a bias against my car and my driving, not police. In a Honda Accord, I never had anywhere near the amount of hostility on the road regarding being cut off, etc. In fact, I've blatantly and inadvertantly sped past cops on several occasions, but I guess they see a nice car and give me a pass, as opposed to a lesser vehicle. Shrug. I even passed the vehicle going 5 under across a double yellow line, and passed him at about double the speed limit. when completing the pass, I noticed there was a cop behind the car behind me. Nothing.
You appear to have a super power!! Use it for the good of mankind :-). Or to attract riches beyond your wildest dreams (I prefer the latter, selfishly).
Appreciate 1
Alias1431794.00
      07-07-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
MediaMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0dM, Phytonic Blue

In the UK there there has been a recent focus by police on speeding as well as vehicles with excessively tinted windows and other failings.

For the benefit of non-UK members, many police cars have an automatic number plate recognition device which will instantly flag up no road tax, no insurance, no annual test certificate but also if the car has a marker for previous use drugs, burglary (or intelligence for) or driver is wanted, etc. ll quite high tech.

Then we have to content with vans with a speed camera in the back or side, and in some cases the front pointing at us. Plus we have static patrols with laser cameras at sites of local concern.

Last November, I was on my way to Swindon to meet a friend visiting from NYC, got onto the A419 at Cirencester, and booted it to overtake slower cars, then saw a camera van in a layby, back door open and was doing 90! Reviewing my dash cam footage was sobering too.

Screwed I thought, but after 2 weeks of misery, heard nothing, so guess he was setting up, packing up or had taken a leak. Just lucky.

Made me calm it down since, and lower the level of the on-board speed warning gong.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 05:39 PM   #6
Yellowmattei
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi Msport, '20 X3 M40i

Quote:
I have a buddy who's a cop in a Chicago suburb, and they were under strict orders not to pull anybody all of April and May, and the first 3 weeks of June, unless it was the most egregious offense - obvious drunk driving, or 30-40 mph over the speed limit, etc... that sort of thing. It's really just been the last two weeks that he's gone back to stopping people for violations like the above.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 02:28 AM   #7
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowmattei View Post
I have a buddy who's a cop in a Chicago suburb, and they were under strict orders not to pull anybody all of April and May, and the first 3 weeks of June, unless it was the most egregious offense - obvious drunk driving, or 30-40 mph over the speed limit, etc... that sort of thing. It's really just been the last two weeks that he's gone back to stopping people for violations like the above.
Glad to hear they're being safe. This was in like... October or something, though.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 03:33 PM   #8
pritchd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Ditto ... before I retired in 2017, I had about a 16 mile one-way commute to work - I usually drove my 528i, but would sometimes take my wife's Honda CRV. There were several lights and with traffic you could only do so much, and with years of experience I knew how to drive to minimize delays, so my road behavior would be the same regardless. Nonetheless, in the BMW people would make a point it seemed to pass me or cut in in front (I'd always wave when I pulled up behind them at the next light), while in the Honda they'd always be content to go with the flow.