BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-02-2020, 03:32 PM   #1
Chris952
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

High Mileage, worth it?

Hey there,

I have been looking around for a used 35i, they seem hard to come by in my area. I did find one today (2011 35i M package) that previously lived in Canada up until 2017 and now for sale at a dealer after a trade in. The only thing though is that it has high miles, 90k, and since it is from Canada nothing is really reported to carfax.

What do you guys think on this one? Obviously would get a PPI done.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 03:40 PM   #2
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
90k miles on a 2011 is not "high mileage", that is low mileage.

See if there are any maintenance records and what your PPI says.

If it checks out and the price it right, go for it!

The main things that you will need to contend with in the next 10+k miles, if they havent been addressed already are in this thread:

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1730393
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 03:55 PM   #3
Chris952
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
90k miles on a 2011 is not "high mileage", that is low mileage.

See if there are any maintenance records and what your PPI says.

If it checks out and the price it right, go for it!

The main things that you will need to contend with in the next 10+k miles, if they havent been addressed already are in this thread:

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1730393
True... I guess it does work out to about 10k/year. My nationwide search that I compare to shows a lot around 60k so that is what I was basing it off of. Can those items from the link be checked by a PPI? Like I said the CarFax just mentions it was a lease.

They are asking 14,250 but I think I can get that down to 13,500 hopefully based off my current talks with the dealer.

If maintenance is good how long do these cars last? I will be doing pretty routine maintenance and repairs myself unless something big pops up requiring a shop.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 06:13 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I'd be concerned with corrosion on the suspension components and undercarriage from spending most of its life in Canada on salted roads. As well, driving on ice/snow is harder on the drivetrain due to all the extra work the traction system is performing. Take some pics of the suspension components and post them. I hate working on a vehicle with rusted fasteners. Personally, I'd pass on this one, and find something with less miles and not from a salt belt.

In another post, didn't you say you were going to purchase a 28i? Change your mind?
Appreciate 1
Wgosma799.50
      07-04-2020, 12:02 AM   #5
Wrangler
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

If it's from Canada it should be in KMs not miles. Considering that it is 90K kilometers, than that is not high mileage. However I am sure you will need water pump and thermostat later if not sooner. Get the under carriage inspected for rust/corrosion.
Appreciate 1
Wgosma799.50