BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-14-2021, 04:43 PM   #1
stck
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

X3 timing chain and drivetrain malfunction

My 2013 X3 stalled few times with "drivetrain malfunction light" while I was going back home 2 weeks ago.
I was lucky and made it home, and I am not able to start it up since then and my car only has 70,100 km. I did not know what the problem was. So I went online to get help from Brian Jessel BMW in Burnaby, where I purchased from brand new at 2013. The on-line receptionist confirmed someone will contact me soon. I waited for few days and still no reply. I googled and found out timing chain is a known issue since 2013, and since 2017 there are several class action lawsuits both in USA and Canada.

So I contacted customer relations (BMW.CA) and they said I just passed the warranty limit of 7 years/70,000 miles (112654 km), and would not be covered by BMW. After I made my point clear that I am just really upset after all this years BMW did not make any recall and people can get killed when this fatal defect. The lady on the phone told me to go back to the dealership.

After I talked to the service co-ordinator (K.R) and then advisor (CCChan) at Brian Jessel BMW, I got an appointment and email confirmation that someone will come to tow my car to the dealership next day on 13 Aug. I waited the whole morning, but the tow truck did not show up.
I called the dealership at 1:45pm to follow up, and the person answered the phone said both of them are on lunch, and they will call me back.
But I did not receive any call.

I want to share my bad experience with all existing customers. My car is still on the street and I am on my own.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 11:00 PM   #2
ryuflatron
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 28i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stck View Post
My 2013 X3 stalled few times with "drivetrain malfunction light" while I was going back home 2 weeks ago.
I was lucky and made it home, and I am not able to start it up since then and my car only has 70,100 km. I did not know what the problem was. So I went online to get help from Brian Jessel BMW in Burnaby, where I purchased from brand new at 2013. The on-line receptionist confirmed someone will contact me soon. I waited for few days and still no reply. I googled and found out timing chain is a known issue since 2013, and since 2017 there are several class action lawsuits both in USA and Canada.

So I contacted customer relations (BMW.CA) and they said I just passed the warranty limit of 7 years/70,000 miles (112654 km), and would not be covered by BMW. After I made my point clear that I am just really upset after all this years BMW did not make any recall and people can get killed when this fatal defect. The lady on the phone told me to go back to the dealership.

After I talked to the service co-ordinator (K.R) and then advisor (CCChan) at Brian Jessel BMW, I got an appointment and email confirmation that someone will come to tow my car to the dealership next day on 13 Aug. I waited the whole morning, but the tow truck did not show up.
I called the dealership at 1:45pm to follow up, and the person answered the phone said both of them are on lunch, and they will call me back.
But I did not receive any call.

I want to share my bad experience with all existing customers. My car is still on the street and I am on my own.
Sorry to hear about your issue. I have a past experience with Brian Jessel when one of the bolts holding my rear break caliper got stripped and I couldn’t open it to finish replacing my break pad. The x3 got tow to dealer and they quoted me nearly 4 grands to replace the caliper, replace the rear disks and rear break pad. When I received the car, I found out the caliper looked like got repainted and I suspected that they reused my old caliper and charged me the price of new one. Not mentioned that they treated me like a pain in the as* because my name was not on their system
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 05:08 PM   #3
Tommy68
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

Stck, sorry to hear about that. How did you fix it?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 05:18 PM   #4
mikekay
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport

Isn't the 7 years/100000km the N54 extension on powertrain? I know BMW had to extend it.

Did you lapse years or KM's -- probably not the km's eh?

EDIT: Looks like its X3's with the N20 engine
Appreciate 0