BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
gregoryw1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 30i

Garage List
2015 X3 35i  [0.00]
Scratches

have had my X3 35i for three weeks now - love it. just wanted to highlight a few places where I already see some scratches though - just to help others be careful. I can visibly see scratches:

1. right in front of the center arm rest. I have fineline wave wood. but if you look closely there is a thick layer of what I can only describe as lacquer (I'm sure that's not the right word but hopefully you know what I mean) on it. and I can now see like 10 very fine scratches on it. maybe its from resting my keys or phone there when I first got it - not sure. just be careful of that area. not sure it I can buff them out but I will definitely watch what i rest on there

2. right above the rolling trunk cover latch on the sides - what I mean is the thing that you pull & latch to cover up the contents of the trunk (not the door, but the fabric cover thing that rolls out). so if you aren't really careful and if you pull it out too high the two things on the side will hit the walls - I can already see a few scratches where I (or my wife) pulled it a little too fast and marred the wall

3. bottom of the trunk door - I had my keys in my hand (my BMW key with three house/office keys attached) and reached up with the same hand to slam the door - put a 1/2 inch scrape on the outside part of the door - yikes!

4. trunk carpet - I've only taken one weekend trip (with suitcases in the back) and then daily trips to the office (with my briefcase in the back) - but the carpet already has lines in it from where I pulled the suitcases out - they don't go away so it looks pretty worn already.

oh, to think back three weeks ago when it was all brand new and didn't have one scratch on it!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryw1 View Post
have had my X3 35i for three weeks now - love it. just wanted to highlight a few places where I already see some scratches though - just to help others be careful. I can visibly see scratches:

1. right in front of the center arm rest. I have fineline wave wood. but if you look closely there is a thick layer of what I can only describe as lacquer (I'm sure that's not the right word but hopefully you know what I mean) on it. and I can now see like 10 very fine scratches on it. maybe its from resting my keys or phone there when I first got it - not sure. just be careful of that area. not sure it I can buff them out but I will definitely watch what i rest on there

2. right above the rolling trunk cover latch on the sides - what I mean is the thing that you pull & latch to cover up the contents of the trunk (not the door, but the fabric cover thing that rolls out). so if you aren't really careful and if you pull it out too high the two things on the side will hit the walls - I can already see a few scratches where I (or my wife) pulled it a little too fast and marred the wall

3. bottom of the trunk door - I had my keys in my hand (my BMW key with three house/office keys attached) and reached up with the same hand to slam the door - put a 1/2 inch scrape on the outside part of the door - yikes!

4. trunk carpet - I've only taken one weekend trip (with suitcases in the back) and then daily trips to the office (with my briefcase in the back) - but the carpet already has lines in it from where I pulled the suitcases out - they don't go away so it looks pretty worn already.

oh, to think back three weeks ago when it was all brand new and didn't have one scratch on it!!!!
I remember when I was younger, I used to get so excited about a new toy. As I got older and things got more expensive and shinier, I became more wary of my surroundings. If it was dropped and scratched, I'd feel like I wouldn't want it anymore. It was very upsetting hahaha. I feel for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Hard to gauge when worrying not enough about something valuable or too much about a thing, isn't it? My last new BMW had it's first real door ding in less than a week. I was mad, and really bummed. This time I've been telling myself to expect it, not to stress out too much since it's just a thing and it'll be better to just accept since it can't be undone, etc. All sounds great, except I haven't gotten the first door ding yet. Only a couple marks on the windshield from road gravel. We'll see how I do when the real one comes!!

Last edited by Nahoa; 03-02-2011 at 05:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
drtdvl
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan, X3 35i, Tacoma

All I can say...
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...72067Z20110301
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #5
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtdvl View Post
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
jaymk5
Bheem (Powerful and Fearful)
United_States
Rep
Drives: "OnOrder" BMW X3 35i SpaceGray

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post

I remember when I was younger, I used to get so excited about a new toy. As I got older and things got more expensive and shinier, I became more wary of my surroundings. If it was dropped and scratched, I'd feel like I wouldn't want it anymore. It was very upsetting hahaha. I feel for you.
I felt the exact same way you do, but exactly a month after I got my last car (brand new black) Minneapolis had a bad hail storm and my roof and hood got fully damaged, insurance full replaced both but the car lost it's beauty(work was not clean). And the bad finish showed up even bad bcos of black color, After that I made up my mind not to get too attached to things and not to buy black car. This time I ordered gray just bcos of that, but seeing your car photos tempts me much to go to black.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
jaymk5
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=gregoryw1;9032062]have had my X3 35i for three weeks now - love it. just wanted to highlight a few places where I already see some scratches though - just to help others be careful. I can visibly see scratches:

It is very upsetting to hear about the scratches. Its so nice of you to alert /warn others to be cautious.
Thanks for letting us know, we will try not to do same mistakes.

Last edited by jaymk5; 03-02-2011 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #8
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

It's worth the investment to have your car detailed by a pro at least a couple times a year. I have all the tools and product in my garage, so I just do it myself. But if you're not willing to spend all that money on equipment and time on detailing, just let a professional do it. This is especially true when you first get the car. The "detailers" at dealerships do so much more harm than good when they prep your car. My last car-2009 328i-was prep'd by the dealership and had swirl marks all over the hood and boot when I picked it up. I was very upset.
BMW uses pretty soft paint, and the wood surfaces seem to get swirl marks with uncommon ease. There isn't much you can do about the wood other than using some Plexus and then a good sealant. But the paint can be protected by layering sealant (sealant is similar to wax, only it is synthetic and typically lasts longer) and avoiding car washes.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
jaymk5
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA78 View Post
It's worth the investment to have your car detailed by a pro at least a couple times a year. I have all the tools and product in my garage, so I just do it myself. But if you're not willing to spend all that money on equipment and time on detailing, just let a professional do it. This is especially true when you first get the car. The "detailers" at dealerships do so much more harm than good when they prep your car. My last car-2009 328i-was prep'd by the dealership and had swirl marks all over the hood and boot when I picked it up. I was very upset.
BMW uses pretty soft paint, and the wood surfaces seem to get swirl marks with uncommon ease. There isn't much you can do about the wood other than using some Plexus and then a good sealant. But the paint can be protected by layering sealant (sealant is similar to wax, only it is synthetic and typically lasts longer) and avoiding car washes.
Nice details and good advise.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
A Man City fan in Oregon? Expat? I lived near Maine Road for a while and watched a few games in their less affluent days

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #11
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
A Man City fan in Oregon? Expat? I lived near Maine Road for a while and watched a few games in their less affluent days
My mom-mum to you-is from Manchester. Grew up near Blackfriars rd. Moved to London when she was in her teens, but we still have a lot of connections there.

I've only been to a few Premier League games. Unfortunately, we usually go back to visit in the summer. Got to see Man City play here in Portland last year though! It was AWESOME.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #12
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

They are on TV tonight vs Aston Villa shoudl be a good cup tie

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #13
JamesBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Our X3 already had a light scratch on the trim near the gear shifter when we picked it up from the performance center. With a kid and a dog, I've had to just get used to the inevitable scratches, but it does seem like the interior wood trim scratches easily.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #14
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
My mom-mum to you-is from Manchester. Grew up near Blackfriars rd. Moved to London when she was in her teens, but we still have a lot of connections there.

I've only been to a few Premier League games. Unfortunately, we usually go back to visit in the summer. Got to see Man City play here in Portland last year though! It was AWESOME.
Great to see you're keeping the connections and pleased that you got to see the Blues in Portland

Coincidentally my mum (mom!) is not only from Manchester as well, but she was born in Salford too. I still have some relatives there.

I am watching Man City - Villa as I write this and I can hear Blue Moon being sung. Small world.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #15
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Great to see you're keeping the connections and pleased that you got to see the Blues in Portland

Coincidentally my mum (mom!) is not only from Manchester as well, but she was born in Salford too. I still have some relatives there.

I am watching Man City - Villa as I write this and I can hear Blue Moon being sung. Small world.
The game isn't on here until tomorrow night! Don't tell me the score!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #16
gregoryw1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 30i

Garage List
2015 X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the inputs. anyone know of a good car detailer in Atlanta?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #17
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryw1 View Post
Thanks for the inputs. anyone know of a good car detailer in Atlanta?
Ask over here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13
Appreciate 0