BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-02-2023, 12:20 PM   #1
Georgina
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Exclamation X3 won't start - could it be the alternator? please help

hi ! I have a 2007 X3 that hasn't been driven much in the past 6 months as I was out of the country (a friend drove it once a week for me). It's in good condition, only issue I knew of was that the coolant tank and cap needed to be replaced.

I just started driving regularly againand on day 3 of short drives, 3 lights suddenly came up on my dash after driving for about 10 minutes - 4x4 light, ABS and then the Brake light.

I turned the car off and then it wouldn't turn back on again. AAA jumped it and took it to mechanic. They've told me I need a "new alternator and have deeper electrical and potential module issues. Dash lights are not engaging upon arrival even after vehicle takes a jump to start."

The codes are - Fault codes P1434 (evaporative system fault), U1112B (control module internal communication error), P1407 (generic EGR fault), P1408
(generic fuel level sensor fault).

I double checked and none of these codes seem to be for the alternator. I'd had no issues starting it up until that point so could it actually be the alternator? Please send me any ideas! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 04:41 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgina View Post
I double checked and none of these codes seem to be for the alternator. I'd had no issues starting it up until that point so could it actually be the alternator? Please send me any ideas! Thank you!
I'm assuming it starts okay with a jump start? If so, what's the voltage once running? Around 14.4V indicates the alternator is functioning and charging.

Battery could be low, even failing, but with engine running vehicle should run electrical systems.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 10:56 AM   #3
ColdCanada
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW X3 AND 2011 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'm assuming it starts okay with a jump start? If so, what's the voltage once running? Around 14.4V indicates the alternator is functioning and charging.

Battery could be low, even failing, but with engine running vehicle should run electrical systems.
Yes this is all true - even a dying battery can make a bunch of random codes pop up.

lets run through some basics
1) how old is your current battery?
2) how often do you drive your car and for how many KM?
3) has the temperature dropped - ( gotten colder ) around the time this happened?

lets start there and then from those answers we can give you the best guess
Appreciate 0