BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-13-2019, 11:42 PM   #1
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x3, BMW x5

-

Last edited by willywi; 04-09-2021 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:54 AM   #2
hardparker
Father of Frankenfold
Rep
Drives: Yo daddy's 2014 X3 M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Cam lobes look fine. The cost for the turbo maintenance or replacement seems excessive. A new turbo and labor should be no more than $4000.

If you want to get a low mileage used motor, try to find one that's from 2015 or later, after they changed the timing chain guides to the more durable ones. Otherwise, you'll be in the same boat down the road.

I say go PS1 or PS2 with it and don't worry about the timing chain until it implodes. Then replace with low mileage motor or different car. All problems solved! Enjoy the new powa!
      07-17-2019, 06:33 AM   #3
HPR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardparker View Post
I say go PS1 or PS2 with it and don't worry about the timing chain until it implodes. Then replace with low mileage motor or different car. All problems solved! Enjoy the new powa!
Quote:
Originally Posted by willywi View Post
Bump, dealer quoted timing chain replacement for $5k should I wait for it to fail completely and get a used engine or do the repair. I'm just afraid that once I fix the timing chain other things start to break.
Depends on how much hassle and uncertainty you're willing to put up with. If the possibility of being stuck somewhere with no immediate help available is appealing, wait for it to fail. Personally, I'd rather pick my own schedule to have the engine repaired or replaced than be forced to do it at what may be an extremely inconvenient time.
      08-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #4
94vtirozguy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 F25 (N20)

I would shoot the photo to BMW and see if they are willing to help out. The fact it is a 2013 model, you are only 19000 miles above warranty, and they are going to court about this now as no timing chain should fail this early. Thats why they use a chain rather than a belt. Longetivity.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 07:12 PM   #5
ubviswanath
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 528i

Please register a complaint on NHTSA website for Timing-Chain issue

I called NHTSA today and so far they only have a couple of complaints pertaining to the timing-chain problem. There are 68 other complaints related to power-braking and an investigation is launched for only that.

This timing-chain is a universal problem and I seriously insist that a complaint be filed so an investigation can begin.

Can you take a moment and go to www.nhtsa.gov and write up a complaint of when your issue occurred and what you have done about it.

It takes less than 5 minutes and is very very straight forward - enter VIN number (it is available online on your insurance declaration page), select "Engine & Powertrain" as the affected components and type in the incident.

Also contact KKG Law office and talk to the paralegal about your issue.

Appreciate 0