BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-15-2018, 09:33 PM   #23
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Yep, hoping it gets out before the shutdown. My car has been in "production begins" since 12/07 (along with showing me a vin). I suspect its the same as everyone elses in that it will sit in this status, and then show completion of all the other steps in 1 day or something.

Gonna call the genius line on monday to see what they show.
Same here. My build (the second one...1st one is already at dealer) started prod 9th. Hopefully gets on the rail before the shutdown...but doubtful since they said my completion date was "week 2" - hoping it gets pushed to before that.

Last edited by SROC3; 12-15-2018 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 07:24 AM   #24
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Production begins just means the body started fab then paint. Can be 7-14 days between that and when you enter "assembly begins" where things start to move fast. Generally 2-3 days after that, it will be done.

My understanding is that after body fab and paint, the painted body sits in a big rack with other painted bodies, awating assembly. They seem to purposely build in a flexible delay between body/paint and assembly. I think they want to have the bodies done and ready early to allow flexible schedule for assembly, based on other factors. May have something to do with inventory scheduling, assembly work shift scheduling, vehicle assembly mix, etc.
Appreciate 2
      12-16-2018, 07:43 AM   #25
Greencat
Speed Changes You!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
CA told me the assembly plant will be closed for 2 weeks, so hopefully everyone who has an X3 scheduled for build next week will be completed before the closure. Otherwise it will sit on the assembly line for 2 weeks till they reopen after the shutdown.
Yep, hoping it gets out before the shutdown. My car has been in "production begins" since 12/07 (along with showing me a vin). I suspect its the same as everyone elses in that it will sit in this status, and then show completion of all the other steps in 1 day or something.

Quote:
Quote:
CA told me the assembly plant will be closed for 2 weeks, so hopefully everyone who has an X3 scheduled for build next week will be completed before the closure. Otherwise it will sit on the assembly line for 2 weeks till they reopen after the shutdown.

Mine has been at that same status since 12/6. Too bad the Genius line doesn't tell you the status codes anymore. Too much anxiety when the online tracker sits at one step for 2 weeks.
'07 X3 30si Silver Gray - retired
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 07:51 AM   #26
Greencat
Speed Changes You!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostX View Post
Quote:
Quote:

How many do they build per day?
Quote:
I think I remember reading they produced 14500 X3s in November.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #27
Greencat
Speed Changes You!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
Production begins just means the body started fab then paint. Can be 7-14 days between that and when you enter "assembly begins" where things start to move fast. Generally 2-3 days after that, it will be done.

My understanding is that after body fab and paint, the painted body sits in a big rack with other painted bodies, awating assembly. They seem to purposely build in a flexible delay between body/paint and assembly. I think they want to have the bodies done and ready early to allow flexible schedule for assembly, based on other factors. May have something to do with inventory scheduling, assembly work shift scheduling, vehicle assembly mix, etc.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post

That makes sense for lean manufacturing and just in time part supply.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 08:01 AM   #28
Greencat
Speed Changes You!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mine is still week 51. Just called the Genius # you provided. Thank you.
That's good news. They told me to call back around the 20th and they could tell me when to expect it to arrive at the dealer.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2018, 08:05 AM   #29
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
They built over 11,000 X3's in November. Here are some more details:

https://www.bmwusfactory.com/manufac...623#production
Appreciate 2
      12-16-2018, 08:12 AM   #30
Greencat
Speed Changes You!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Now that is exactly the kind of luck I have. Mine would be that last one waiting to go out the door when they shut down.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #31
TXSoxFan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencat View Post
Now that is exactly the kind of luck I have. Mine would be that last one waiting to go out the door when they shut down.
If your's is the last one waiting, mine will be right behind it with my luck. I am sitting in the production begins state as well, been there since Tuesday the 11th. Hopefully it'll get out and be on the way to CA over the holidays. Going to call the Genius line in the AM to see if I can get more details.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 07:45 PM   #32
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Hi

We don't seem to have any tracking ability for orders made in Australia (other than through Dealer). I assume you guys are using a website and/or phone number to check on the status of your car?

In doing this do they ask for any verification of who you are or do you just need the production number (which I have)?

I have a build date of 5 January 2019 (bit worried now though reading the place is closed for two weeks) but not sure if that is the start or finish date.

Is there any point you feel ringing the number from Australia (if someone could direct me to it) and seeing if it works? Would my production number work on the website if I gave it to someone?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 08:17 PM   #33
Greencat
Speed Changes You!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerthBMW View Post
Hi

We don't seem to have any tracking ability for orders made in Australia (other than through Dealer). I assume you guys are using a website and/or phone number to check on the status of your car?

In doing this do they ask for any verification of who you are or do you just need the production number (which I have)?

I have a build date of 5 January 2019 (bit worried now though reading the place is closed for two weeks) but not sure if that is the start or finish date.

Is there any point you feel ringing the number from Australia (if someone could direct me to it) and seeing if it works? Would my production number work on the website if I gave it to someone?

Thanks
It looks there is a dedicated Genius line for BMW AUS tel:1800 436 487. You should be able to call them with your production number and get the status.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 08:46 AM   #34
TXSoxFan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASoxFan View Post
If your's is the last one waiting, mine will be right behind it with my luck. I am sitting in the production begins state as well, been there since Tuesday the 11th. Hopefully it'll get out and be on the way to CA over the holidays. Going to call the Genius line in the AM to see if I can get more details.
Called this morning and looks like it is scheduled to be completed on Friday. Hopefully it gets out Friday and at least on a carrier before the shutdown.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 09:31 AM   #35
LostX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Quote:
Called this morning and looks like it is scheduled to be completed on Friday. Hopefully it gets out Friday and at least on a carrier before the shutdown.
You're a day ahead of me. Keep us posted when status gets past "production begins" please.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #36
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

Quote:
Genius told me mine should be done on Thursday (20th), so I am expecting status changes to come in the next day or so.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 07:34 PM   #37
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
It looks there is a dedicated Genius line for BMW AUS tel:1800 436 487. You should be able to call them with your production number and get the status.
Hi

OK thanks I will give that a go...I've also found a Genius email address so I will drop them a line.

Appreciate your guidance.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 07:55 PM   #38
Greencat
Speed Changes You!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks like a few of us a right at the wire.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 08:17 PM   #39
LostX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Looks like a few of us a right at the wire.
Ya I wish someone due this week would get an update. Seems like we're all thurs/fri/sat
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 07:04 AM   #40
Greencat
Speed Changes You!
United_States
Rep

And we're off to the races....finally.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 545
Size:  46.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 08:27 AM   #41
LostX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And we're off to the races....finally.

Attachment 1956617
Great news. Finally.

Hopefully I see the same tomorrow/Thursday.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 09:04 AM   #42
TXSoxFan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great news. Finally.

Hopefully I see the same tomorrow/Thursday.
Agree. I am still in the production begins stage. My CA sent me a screenshot from their internal system last night showing it was in the production stage (status 150-155).
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 09:19 AM   #43
Greencat
Speed Changes You!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agree. I am still in the production begins stage. My CA sent me a screenshot from their internal system last night showing it was in the production stage (status 150-155).
I'm wondering how frequently the on-line status gets updated. I've only ever seen changes in status occur overnight.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 09:26 AM   #44
TXSoxFan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

When mine went from Scheduled for production to Production Begins, it actually flipped mid-day. Now I don't know if that means it is real time (or somewhat real time) or the daily update isn't overnight but some other point early AM and I just happen to check on either side of the update.
Appreciate 0