BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-17-2018, 10:42 PM   #89
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
You're crazy!
Appreciate 4
      07-17-2018, 11:12 PM   #90
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
You're crazy!
and loving it!
Appreciate 1
Sea-Tac1453.00
      07-17-2018, 11:17 PM   #91
TxHornX3M40iGuy
TXHornX3M340iGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskurth View Post
Thank you for asking!

I watched the videos and test drove a car..mentioned the noise to the support team...I just thought they could be programmed out, like they did for my 3-series. I love the car handling and I need a responsive engine. The 30i does not have enough power for where I live, going up steep steep driveways and showing horses in similar conditions. The 3-series inline 6 has the power but not the height to drive on the rural conditions, river beds, gravel, rocks and such. This has been a problem. Nor does the 3 series have the interior transport room, saddles, bridles, blankets, helmets and more. In the Creek Fire, it was a pack and go.....there was not enough room to get everything. People lost everything unless they could take it. When you live in the city and yet are constantly in the rural environment, a SUV becomes necessary. For this reason most of the horse community has SUV's. Usually Porsche or the X5 M.

That is out of my price range. Still I LOVE and truly enjoy a well handling car that does great on the freeways, while adapting to dirt roads. I passed on the Audi and Mercedes as they don't cut it. This is why I purchased the M40i.

If not for the embarrassing and POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS POPPING which can scare the crap out of horses and get people hurt, the car would be perfect. I bought it because it filled the needs and had the handling I love. Start up normal noise is fine...popping can get people hurt!!!!!.

Not everyone purchases a car for ego..some of us actually enjoy the smooth responsive handling, combined with useful function. Stunning how many in this forum, think it is all about appearances. I buy BMW's for one reason and one reason only HANDLING.

That does not mean other should not enjoy the experience of the pops..they should just be aware that there are other's people around them in which popping sound may negatively impact their life. I know of one guy who had to move, because the pops set off all the car alarms in the parking complex every time he went to work. He was asked to leave or get rid of the car by neighbors. The apartment management told him to leave. My horse trainer complained strongly about the noise as it spooked his horse. There is more to this. We are not at a race track.

That said, aesthetically and identity wise, I really don't need a "look at me" noise.
I get it. But I think there have been some suggestions already. Adaptive mode has way less sound unless you put it in sport/manual mode. You can also configure and drive with everything in sport but transmission in comfort which someone mentioned would produce less pops. Hoping that suits you...
Appreciate 2
focker155.00
      07-17-2018, 11:17 PM   #92
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
and loving it!
Exactly!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 11:37 PM   #93
TxHornX3M40iGuy
TXHornX3M340iGuy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Porsche does not pop... never ever. Just a cool rumble but never sound like it is poorly tuned backfiring vechical.. Many persons have them were i ride horses ... but they were too much money for me.

On the flip side, BMW slams those cars in just about every other capacity. The BMW X5 M is also hugely popular ... but is $100,000 plus.
Totally utterly false. You must not have been around or driven many Porsches. hahaha. Try again.
Appreciate 1
focker155.00
      07-18-2018, 12:54 AM   #94
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i Dark Graphite Cogn

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Ah well now it makes sense. If you mentioned the horse issue in the beginning I think a lot of the sarcastic responses would have been avoided. But yea again, is there a problem with just driving in Comfort mode?
No, just i really enjoy sport mode.
But for the sake of horses and people not getting hurt you won't put it in comfort or sport individual (with proper settings) or just not drive spirited around them until you're, at the very least, a safe distance from them.

Got it.

I don't get it. Are there horses around you for miles and miles while you're driving around spirited because if we're being honest, you've got to do spirited driving or accelerating and decelerating to get the really loud pops that would potentially scare anything. I drive in sport plus a good amount and sometimes not for spirited driving but for the quick and powerful responsiveness (which you seek) and when I'm doing that I just get the burbles and low pops but definitely not the loud pops or bangs.

That's just the solution for not scaring the horses lol.

Good luck with the removal of the pops and bangs tho
      07-18-2018, 12:57 AM   #95
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHornX3M40iGuy View Post
Totally utterly false. You must not have been around or driven many Porsches. hahaha. Try again.
Man. My Porsche pops and grumbles. That sucker is never quiet. Then there are times she just screams. What a ride.
Appreciate 2
      07-18-2018, 08:03 AM   #96
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

Quote:

You know dude. You are into negativity for arguing sake. No problem, go right a head with your thoughts on the subject. Not going to "play".

I am around Porsches every single day and work along side the owners. They have yet to traumatize a horse with the sound and never have I heard a back-firing pop. I love my m40 except for the pops and like sport mode for driving sake. Who does not.

Was looking for a solution to it, as I risk getting people hurt when the sound scares the hell out of the horses....not an editorial from the peanut gallery.
I don't think anyone at this point, understands why you won't just set up your individual settings with everything in sport besides the transmission. Or just use adaptive setting.
Appreciate 3
kozzi927.00
focker155.00
JSY578.00
      07-18-2018, 07:58 PM   #97
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I’ve followed this thread from the beginning, and it’s ridiculous. Why should a performance BMW, though it’s not a X3M, sound like a Lexus? Hell no! In my opinion, it should sound like a 1967 big block 427 Vette! Oh yeah. Corral the horses, just as you would with thunder and lightning. Good thing the OP doesn’t live in my neighborhood; F-18’s fly by with the sound of freedom. OOHRAH!
2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 12:18 AM   #98
Cottonmouth
Ataraxic
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

I know this will probably make me sound old af, but as someone who grew up in the 90s right about when the internet was picking up steam, I remember it being a place where people could virtually enjoy each other’s company. There were a few wackos here and there, but that’s a statistical absolute.

Seems like now it’s fashionable to be a troll, or a tool, or some combination of the two. They’re cropping up everywhere (especially on Twitter and enthusiast forums) and it’s really just such a bore.

“My performance car is too loud!”
“I bought a Maserati, but it won’t drive like a Prius! It sounds too much like a slightly subdued Ferrari. Woe is me!”
“Porsches are quiet, docile cars. They are typical of German haute-engineering. All performance, no fuss, and zero engine or exhaust noise. That’s how cars should work, mein Gott!”

Give me a bloody break.
Appreciate 3
      07-19-2018, 08:29 PM   #99
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg View Post
I don't think anyone at this point, understands why you won't just set up your individual settings with everything in sport besides the transmission. Or just use adaptive setting.
I am convinced that we are being trolled...
Appreciate 3
focker155.00
deladude266.00
      07-20-2018, 01:38 AM   #100
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

Even my wife (who’s not that into cars) loves the sound of the exhaust!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 02:55 AM   #101
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i Dark Graphite Cogn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM50d View Post
Even my wife (who's not that into cars) loves the sound of the exhaust!
Same lol
      07-20-2018, 11:27 PM   #102
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

I want mine to do it even more. I also want to see if there's a way to make ASD play more exhaust sounds on the outside of the car. Maybe mount some external speakers.

I won't be happy until my X3 sounds like the Viper that used to live in the neighborhood, only louder. Except when I want to sneak out at night and grab a frosty from Wendy's. Then I want it to sound like a Tesla.

Loud pipes save lives!
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2018, 01:39 AM   #103
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnj View Post
I want mine to do it even more. I also want to see if there's a way to make ASD play more exhaust sounds on the outside of the car. Maybe mount some external speakers.

I won't be happy until my X3 sounds like the Viper that used to live in the neighborhood, only louder. Except when I want to sneak out at night and grab a frosty from Wendy's. Then I want it to sound like a Tesla.

Loud pipes save lives!
Yes, this!

Shall we start a how to make our cars louder thread?
Appreciate 2
      07-21-2018, 02:21 PM   #104
TxHornX3M40iGuy
TXHornX3M340iGuy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM50d View Post
Yes, this!

Shall we start a how to make our cars louder thread?
YES!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 03:35 PM   #105
skyler
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40

You're not crazy. I hate it too. I want a quiet car. I find the only people admiring it are my garage attendants and valets.

Last edited by skyler; 08-11-2018 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 03:56 PM   #106
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyler View Post
You're not crazy. I hate it too. I want a quiet car. I find the only people admiring it are my garage attendants and valets. I am a grandmother of 8. I want quiet.
Then buy another vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 04:04 PM   #107
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyler View Post
You're not crazy. I hate it too. I want a quiet car. I find the only people admiring it are my garage attendants and valets. I am a grandmother of 8. I want quiet.
Can confirm. Am also grandmother. Like quiet.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 05:58 PM   #108
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

My wife informed me last night that she doesn't like the "farting" and also doesn't like that it's loud when it starts up. She also told me she thinks it'll bother the neighbors when I drive down the block.

I guess it's either I leave it Adaptive mode when she's in the car or I get a wife-ectomy.

I really like the sound....
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 10:00 AM   #109
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnj View Post
My wife informed me last night that she doesn't like the "farting" and also doesn't like that it's loud when it starts up. She also told me she thinks it'll bother the neighbors when I drive down the block.

I guess it's either I leave it Adaptive mode when she's in the car or I get a wife-ectomy.

I really like the sound....
Funny creatures....

Mine thinks it's too quiet and wishes it sounded like my AMG....

I don't recommend the wife-ectomy, I did that once only to discover the newer, upgraded ones cost about twice as much as the originals.

Last edited by ParadigmDawg; 07-30-2018 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 10:55 AM   #110
See63ess
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg View Post
Funny creatures....

Mine thinks it's too quiet and wishes it sounded like my AMG....

I don't recommend the wife-ectomy, I did that once only to discover the newer, upgraded ones cost about twice as much as the originals.
Cheaper to keep her
Appreciate 0