BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-27-2017, 08:48 PM   #67
AUS1969
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Picked up my Alpine White today. 20 inch wheels with Pirelli runflats. No M steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 08:56 PM   #68
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Will have a chance to share more in-depth information, but our M40i is now settled in the garage next to our 2015 LCI X3 35i, so am just now getting a chance to see the additions to the thread since this morning.

As this is my wife's X3 she drove it home and I lead the way in the LCI. About a 25 minute drive, and I've got to say the rear view mirror presentation is impressive and looks formidable and expressively confident, but not overly aggressive. If on the Autobahn I would definitely pull to the side if this was approaching at the high speeds it can easily reach.

We spoke on the phone as we went, and she lagged behind a bit to be able to assess acceleration at different points. A different animal for sure she shared. And cornering and handling, once again, a different beast from what we 2nd Gen Drivers have sensed.

The technology is now leaps and bounds above what we have had in the 2nd Gen. And although 25 minutes doesn't allow full comfort with the new offerings, they (BMW) kept enough of the previous Gen's ergonomic mannerisms around to make the transition appear seamless yet inspiring.

Although a more in-depth discussion with photos to be shared, one point on the tires which many have raised. As stated earlier, no doubt the 21" are beautiful additions to the aggressive appearance and make an absolute statement to the aesthetics of the G01. And to many of the M Drivers out there, it would seem this might be the tire of choice. But if a more comfortable ride is desired in metropolitan/rural/or otherwise regions where roads may not be as well kept, the standard 19" Performance series may be a reasonable compromise, as she definitely sensed more road defects on the 19" Performance tires when compared with the All Season 19" RFTs she was used to on her LCI (as would be expected with a Performance set). On the other hand, some could argue why purchase a vehicle with this prowess to keep it tamed? No argument there, just sharing that this is what this G01 will now allow - fully utilitarian for some, pure driving passion for some, and for others, an in-between.

More to come...
Thanks for this. As i live in NYC and have kids I'm going to stick with the 19" all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 11:26 PM   #69
InsideMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHPsedan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
Online configuration shows this wheel as well.
The specs page said M-sport steering wheel on the M40i up until yesterday. Now it says just sport leather steering.
Which specs? Build guide has had sport steering wheel from day 1.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 11:39 PM   #70
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideMan View Post
Which specs? Build guide has had sport steering wheel from day 1.
Features page on the website had M sport steering when the new X3 site went live on bmwusa a few weeks ago. The car shows and reviews had them as well.

I’m with you that the spec sheet since May had sport steering. It has been kind of a confusing mess to a lot of people.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 12:11 AM   #71
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
That rear side window looks odd. :
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 06:25 AM   #72
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Focus on Air Curtain

I wanted to provide a close-up of the complex aerodynamics of the right front intake/air curtain system. As can be seen, this is an active lower corner not only aerodynamically but also for cooling grills. Suspect wind tunnel testing allowed for maximal air flow design into and through this region, and that every curve and angle of the main form has a dynamic functional basis for why it was placed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
alt2118.00
      10-28-2017, 08:07 AM   #73
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
Just out of curiosity....... why is he putting your car on the showroom floor???? Does that mean that other customers can come and sit in it like the other cars on the showroom floor? It has an owner - I feel like it should be stored away in their inventory and when you have a definite date to pick it up, they clean it up before and put it in the delivery bay or wherever they drive the car out. Maybe I misunderstand.

Also, it seems like someone else was able to take delivery of theirs today (?) unless I read it wrong?
Yeah, I don't understand why some are able to pick theirs up while I have to wait. I've seen other BMW's on the floor at other dealerships that had SOLD signs on them and were locked with DO NOT TOUCH signs on them, so I presume that is what they will do with mine. I'll stop by Monday to see it in person and see what the deal is on delivery.

Meanwhile, I had the dealer take these pics of the trunk. Not a very good camera and hard to really tell but cover storage is clearly gone. He said the cargo area bowed up about 1 to 1.5 inches and then was flat across most of it. Hard to see in the pictures. I'll try to get some better ones.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 09:12 AM   #74
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcooper View Post
Yeah, I don't understand why some are able to pick theirs up while I have to wait. I've seen other BMW's on the floor at other dealerships that had SOLD signs on them and were locked with DO NOT TOUCH signs on them, so I presume that is what they will do with mine. I'll stop by Monday to see it in person and see what the deal is on delivery.

Meanwhile, I had the dealer take these pics of the trunk. Not a very good camera and hard to really tell but cover storage is clearly gone. He said the cargo area bowed up about 1 to 1.5 inches and then was flat across most of it. Hard to see in the pictures. I'll try to get some better ones.
Surely frustrating to have it there and not be able to pick it up yet, and like you, not sure why the difference for AUS1969 and us. Maybe check back with them today, as most Dealerships are open on Saturdays?

In your photos the height does seem less than the 4" I estimated in X4Guy's thread but you'll be able to measure when you are there. I measured the cargo area just now - it is 43-1/4" wide x 33-1/2" deep (removed from the back of the rear seats about 2" to allow for the reclined angle of the back seats). If only 3" high instead of the 4" I estimated earlier, volume is about 2.5 cu feet less with the spare.

I'm including a few pictures of our cargo area, as the mat which comes with it also raises about 1-1/2". Wonder what mat will go on top of the spare compartment?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 09:37 AM   #75
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
I'm including a few pictures of our cargo area, as the mat which comes with it also raises about 1-1/2". Wonder what mat will go on top of the spare compartment?
Strange, I thought the F31 and F25 shared the same cargo mat but that looks different then the one I have. Mine has indents at the back for the straps and doesn't have the chrome BMW piece at the front. Is your's the luxury version maybe? I know the sport version looks a little different and has red highlights.

Anyone who's seen the back, does the cargo area cover also have the net divider that goes up to the roof to block off the cargo area from the rest of the interior?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #76
mr.baywood
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 w/m package

Dealer Delivery

My X3 BMW M40i arrived Wednesday Oct 25th. Can't get it till Nov. 1st. I thought I ordered a M sport steering wheel like my 2015 had with the M package. The dealership stated you can't get that in the US. Extremely disappointed, he stated only the foreign countries can get it. Does anybody know anything on this subject, would appreciate if someone knows if this is true. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 10:05 AM   #77
Kingpin4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i/2019 M2C

Congrats on your new X3! I was reading another post saying there's some problem with the magnesium in one of the parts they use causing production problems. If this indeed is the issue I think BMW should man up and replace the wheel if the customer wants it when they get this issue sorted out. I'm sure there will be many more discussions on this topic as more models are released. In the mean time enjoy your new ride! Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 10:21 AM   #78
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.baywood View Post
My X3 BMW M40i arrived Wednesday Oct 25th. Can't get it till Nov. 1st. I thought I ordered a M sport steering wheel like my 2015 had with the M package. The dealership stated you can't get that in the US. Extremely disappointed, he stated only the foreign countries can get it. Does anybody know anything on this subject, would appreciate if someone knows if this is true. Thank you.
Congrats! That's only a few days away!!

The subject of the M Sport Steering Wheel has been discussed extensively on another thread--see "M Sport Steering Shortage". Bottom line is consistent with what your dealer said, but there is obviously a LOT of frustration over the issue here in the US.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #79
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Surely frustrating to have it there and not be able to pick it up yet, and like you, not sure why the difference for AUS1969 and us. Maybe check back with them today, as most Dealerships are open on Saturdays?

In your photos the height does seem less than the 4" I estimated in X4Guy's thread but you'll be able to measure when you are there. I measured the cargo area just now - it is 43-1/4" wide x 33-1/2" deep (removed from the back of the rear seats about 2" to allow for the reclined angle of the back seats). If only 3" high instead of the 4" I estimated earlier, volume is about 2.5 cu feet less with the spare.

Is that the mat on your new M40i? I assumed that would be a dealer supplied add-on and hadn't, so far, seen any accessories designed for the G01. But definitely something I'd be interested in.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #80
TomSinNova
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mazda MX5 RF Launch Editi

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Just drove one

Just finished a great test drive of an X3 xDrive30i at BMW of Alexandria. It is a sweet ride, very smooth, quiet and great acceleration. Awesome instruments in the Sport Mode. Totally different feel than my 2014 X35i. MyX3 xDrive30i is supposed to come off the assembly line today and PDC delivery is 11/13. The dealership received 3 last night and the M was sold while I was there and the buyer was taking it home with him. One of the X3 xDrive30i was going to be moved into the showroom to replace the sold X3 M40i.

Last edited by TomSinNova; 10-28-2017 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: expand
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 11:15 AM   #81
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Best luck with the new ride.

19s will look fine once some spacers are added.
      10-28-2017, 11:35 AM   #82
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

The mat I shared with you is in our new G01 X3 M40i. It was an add on from the Dealer - "BMW trunk mat" for $199. We also got the all-weather mats for the inside for $149.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
bwcooper182.00
retx117.00
scottomfg286.50
duky1314.50
nyalpine907423.50
kozzi927.00
      10-28-2017, 01:01 PM   #83
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
The mat I shared with you is in our new G01 X3 M40i. It was an add on from the Dealer - "BMW trunk mat" for $199. We also got the all-weather mats for the inside for $149.
Looks awesome. Congrats on the new ride. Just to double check is that Dark Graphite?
Appreciate 1
Max Well4716.00
      10-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #84
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Best looking X3 so far
Appreciate 1
Max Well4716.00
      10-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #85
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
The mat you are showing was a dealer add on? It appears to cover the rails which is no big deal if it's not used. How rigid is that mat? It almost looks like hard plastic, no? I do notice that the left side compartment in the truck retains the netting, but the ones with the spare do not have that netting.

Btw, nice looking ride.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 03:02 PM   #86
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ando View Post
Looks awesome. Congrats on the new ride. Just to double check is that Dark Graphite?
Thanks, Ando! And yes – Dark Graphite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
The mat you are showing was a dealer add on? It appears to cover the rails which is no big deal if it's not used. How rigid is that mat? It almost looks like hard plastic, no? I do notice that the left side compartment in the truck retains the netting, but the ones with the spare do not have that netting.

Btw, nice looking ride.
Hi JSY – yes, the mat was added on at the Dealership. And the mat does provide full surface protection and thereby covers the rails. As we have always wanted to have full cargo protection for the carpeted surface, to be honest we have never once used the rails in any of the three X3s we have owned because of that. For that reason one of the Wish List items I requested near the end was for BMW to hopefully provide a few tether/tie down points along the side so a simple bungee cord or twine could accomplish stabilization of cargo items when cargo protection mats are used. Perhaps if they come out with an extensible heavy duty tray with raised sides they can just incorporate into the tray sides themselves.

And it is a good quality heavy duty rubber it seems – not hard plastic. Hopefully Dealerships will have these in stock so one can look at before purchasing. We just knew we needed one regardless.

And here’s a picture of the front showing the left front lower grill intake is blocked off, which I suspect will be opened for the X3M. And wouldn’t be surprised if both sides are blocked for the lower powered engine models which may not need the extra cooling.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
JSY578.00
ando2000.50
      10-28-2017, 03:28 PM   #87
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Ah ok, do they still have the 3 different versions of the trunk mat and all-weather mats, base, luxury and sport or is it only the one option?

Does the cargo cover include the mesh divider that hooks into the roof?

Thanks for posting the pics, color looks great.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4716.00
      10-28-2017, 06:37 PM   #88
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Ah ok, do they still have the 3 different versions of the trunk mat and all-weather mats, base, luxury and sport or is it only the one option?

Does the cargo cover include the mesh divider that hooks into the roof?

Thanks for posting the pics, color looks great.
Thanks ND40oz!

Re the mats - to be honest we just indicated to our Dealership we needed a quality cargo mat for surface protection, and as we were so focused on just receiving the vehicle and its production status this was not at the top of our list. A good question, though, and hopefully a Dealership could shed some light on what other options are available for cargo mats.

Re the mesh divider, we did not receive one. But as indicated with the track tie-downs earlier, we have never used the mesh divider provided in any of our previous X3s. If loose items are being transported we usually placed them in the back seats or back foot wells so they wouldn't roll around. If we had a larger load of items we could arrange so they didn't move around in the cargo hold. I can see how it would be useful for a lot of folks, but as we frequently carry heavier loads in the cargo area the mesh ended up just being in the way, so we stowed it underneath.

And here are a few pictures of the M40i's engine bay. Note the procedure has changed to raise the hood. Rather than pulling the lever to the lower left of the Driver's seat, and then having to nudge the hood latch to then lift, one simply has to pull on the lever twice, and it is released for ease of lifting.

The bay's organization appears clean and logical. The battery charge poles are in similar locations. We now have the ability to visually inspect the coolant level (see picture) rather than having to first unscrew the lid, peer down with a flashlight to see if between the 'Min'/'Max' lines, then try to fill without spilling. Now there is a translucent container with a mark easily noted.

Further refinement in many areas!
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
bwcooper182.00
JSY578.00
ND40oz396.50
ando2000.50
Chris5527.50