BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-27-2017, 01:55 PM   #45
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

I prefer non M steering wheel over M.
M steering wheels has gotten ridiculously thick (no firm grip thus dangerous IMO)
It's even thicker than my original M E46
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2017, 02:21 PM   #46
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Suspect bwcooper (in Montgomery TX) should be hearing today or tomorrow from his Dealership, but that is where it might be more difficult to assess as it is then up to Carrier routes and scheduling.

Kind of like making popcorn on the stove top – you wait and wait and one or two start popping and before you know it, multiple forum members will be seeing their new G01s rolling into their Dealerships!
You are indeed correct! Heard from my dealer this morning that he has my new M40i. They are going to clean it up and put it on the showroom floor till I can pick it up. He says BMW is still not allowing them to actually sell it till Nov 11. But he is going to send pics. I may run up there some time to take some myself as well!!

And...Love the popcorn analogy!!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 02:33 PM   #47
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have to think that actually the 19” will probably turn out to be the sweet spot for fuel economy. I do think the 20” and 21” look amazing and would win in the aesthetics department hands-down, but we were trying to be pragmatic on that decision. That, and they should provide a more comfortable ride with poor roads I would think.
100% agree! While I, too, really liked the looks of the bigger wheel designs, I just couldn't see paying so much not only for the original set, but also for replacement tires when the time comes! And also was afraid that ride would be that much stiffer with less rubber. Since I very much appreciate a smooth ride much of the time (especially when travelling long distances), I tried to take steps to insure I didn't sacrifice too much in that department while still trying to have a better handling vehicle. Also why I added the Adaptive M Suspension. And BTW, I DID order the compact spare, so as soon as I can, I'll get some pictures of what that looks like.
Appreciate 2
Max Well4692.00
      10-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #48
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Exciting news! Can't wait to start seeing real pics!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 02:49 PM   #49
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
our 2018 640 GT M sport also doesnt have an M sport wheel.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 02:54 PM   #50
Orion141
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcooper View Post
100% agree! While I, too, really liked the looks of the bigger wheel designs, I just couldn't see paying so much not only for the original set, but also for replacement tires when the time comes! And also was afraid that ride would be that much stiffer with less rubber. Since I very much appreciate a smooth ride much of the time (especially when travelling long distances), I tried to take steps to insure I didn't sacrifice too much in that department while still trying to have a better handling vehicle. Also why I added the Adaptive M Suspension. And BTW, I DID order the compact spare, so as soon as I can, I'll get some pictures of what that looks like.
Can't wait to see some pictures (especially interested in the trunk as I also ordered the space saver spare)!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 02:59 PM   #51
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion141 View Post
Can't wait to see some pictures (especially interested in the trunk as I also ordered the space saver spare)!!!
0:44 is this what you're lookin for?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 03:01 PM   #52
SIN_CITY_TROLL
Livin the Dream!
United_States
Rep
Drives: EVERYTHING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
19"s dont do this car justice

Needs 20's which is what I will order and get a set of 19's for winter.
21" are better [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
mcc3456332.00
meanmusic148.00
      10-27-2017, 03:07 PM   #53
Orion141
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
I saw that, just wanted to see some dedicated still photographs of the trunk space to get a really good sense of the trunk. Video was a little difficult to tease out exactly how things are going to look.
Appreciate 1
starbai647.50
      10-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #54
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, that video is what got everyone stirred up about the impact of the spare on the cargo area. His quick shot of it gave us our first view, but I'd like to see with a little more detail. Like exactly how "bulged" is the floor now?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 03:18 PM   #55
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Yeah, that video is what got everyone stirred up about the impact of the spare on the cargo area. His quick shot of it gave us our first view, but I'd like to see with a little more detail. Like exactly how "bulged" is the floor now?
OMG a spare tire in a BMW.... it's been decades since I've seen such a thing
Appreciate 3
bwcooper179.00
starbai647.50
DeeKay553.00
      10-27-2017, 03:21 PM   #56
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin_City_Mike View Post
yeeeeeeeeeeees post moaar!

What color is this?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 06:02 PM   #57
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
yeeeeeeeeeeees post moaar!

What color is this?
My guess is dark graphite. Can anyone confirm?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 06:20 PM   #58
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ando View Post
My guess is dark graphite. Can anyone confirm?
Yep, Dark Graphite in US or Sophisto Grey Xirallic in UK.

Who comes up with this madness?!?!
Appreciate 2
Chris5527.50
      10-27-2017, 06:50 PM   #59
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
Other than being above the sill on the X, the floor appears to be raised about the same 3 inches (76.2 mm) as on the 5 Series I looked at.
Attached Images

10-27-2017, 07:27 PM   #60
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 M40i

Quote:
damn...tempted to throw caution (and safety) to the wind and just order the 21's instead of the 19's...don't like the 20's.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 07:33 PM   #61
falsek1ng
Rep
Drives: Mazdaspeed 3

Quote:
Nice. Does this one have M Adaptive?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 08:22 PM   #62
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Will have a chance to share more in-depth information, but our M40i is now settled in the garage next to our 2015 LCI X3 35i, so am just now getting a chance to see the additions to the thread since this morning.

As this is my wife's X3 she drove it home and I lead the way in the LCI. About a 25 minute drive, and I've got to say the rear view mirror presentation is impressive and looks formidable and expressively confident, but not overly aggressive. If on the Autobahn I would definitely pull to the side if this was approaching at the high speeds it can easily reach.

We spoke on the phone as we went, and she lagged behind a bit to be able to assess acceleration at different points. A different animal for sure she shared. And cornering and handling, once again, a different beast from what we 2nd Gen Drivers have sensed.

The technology is now leaps and bounds above what we have had in the 2nd Gen. And although 25 minutes doesn't allow full comfort with the new offerings, they (BMW) kept enough of the previous Gen's ergonomic mannerisms around to make the transition appear seamless yet inspiring.

Although a more in-depth discussion with photos to be shared, one point on the tires which many have raised. As stated earlier, no doubt the 21" are beautiful additions to the aggressive appearance and make an absolute statement to the aesthetics of the G01. And to many of the M Drivers out there, it would seem this might be the tire of choice. But if a more comfortable ride is desired in metropolitan/rural/or otherwise regions where roads may not be as well kept, the standard 19" Performance series may be a reasonable compromise, as she definitely sensed more road defects on the 19" Performance tires when compared with the All Season 19" RFTs she was used to on her LCI (as would be expected with a Performance set). On the other hand, some could argue why purchase a vehicle with this prowess to keep it tamed? No argument there, just sharing that this is what this G01 will now allow - fully utilitarian for some, pure driving passion for some, and for others, an in-between.

More to come...
Appreciate 2
OzBMW8448.50
      10-27-2017, 08:38 PM   #63
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Will have a chance to share more in-depth information, but our M40i is now settled in the garage next to our 2015 LCI X3 35i, so am just now getting a chance to see the additions to the thread since this morning.

As this is my wife's X3 she drove it home and I lead the way in the LCI. About a 25 minute drive, and I've got to say the rear view mirror presentation is impressive and looks formidable and expressively confident, but not overly aggressive. If on the Autobahn I would definitely pull to the side if this was approaching at the high speeds it can easily reach.

We spoke on the phone as we went, and she lagged behind a bit to be able to assess acceleration at different points. A different animal for sure she shared. And cornering and handling, once again, a different beast from what we 2nd Gen Drivers have sensed.

The technology is now leaps and bounds above what we have had in the 2nd Gen. And although 25 minutes doesn't allow full comfort with the new offerings, they (BMW) kept enough of the previous Gen's ergonomic mannerisms around to make the transition appear seamless yet inspiring.

Although a more in-depth discussion with photos to be shared, one point on the tires which many have raised. As stated earlier, no doubt the 21" are beautiful additions to the aggressive appearance and make an absolute statement to the aesthetics of the G01. And to many of the M Drivers out there, it would seem this might be the tire of choice. But if a more comfortable ride is desired in metropolitan/rural/or otherwise regions where roads may not be as well kept, the standard 19" Performance series may be a reasonable compromise, as she definitely sensed more road defects on the 19" Performance tires when compared with the All Season 19" RFTs she was used to on her LCI (as would be expected with a Performance set). On the other hand, some could argue why purchase a vehicle with this prowess to keep it tamed? No argument there, just sharing that this is what this G01 will now allow - fully utilitarian for some, pure driving passion for some, and for others, an in-between.

More to come...

Are you a writer? Your descriptions are a joy to read. LOL Anyway, why are you here and not playing with your wife's new car? By the way, it does sound like you took delivery which I think makes you the first one to have taken one home? (I haven't gone through all the threads yet.) I'm glad that people didn't have to wait until 11 Nov or thereafter. Have fun!

I concur with the 21s.. They look really great, but I ended up sticking with the 19s considering the terrain and weather that I am mostly in. :-/
Appreciate 1
Max Well4692.00
      10-27-2017, 08:42 PM   #64
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
You are indeed correct! Heard from my dealer this morning that he has my new M40i. They are going to clean it up and put it on the showroom floor till I can pick it up. He says BMW is still not allowing them to actually sell it till Nov 11. But he is going to send pics. I may run up there some time to take some myself as well!!

And...Love the popcorn analogy!!
Just out of curiosity....... why is he putting your car on the showroom floor???? Does that mean that other customers can come and sit in it like the other cars on the showroom floor? It has an owner - I feel like it should be stored away in their inventory and when you have a definite date to pick it up, they clean it up before and put it in the delivery bay or wherever they drive the car out. Maybe I misunderstand.

Also, it seems like someone else was able to take delivery of theirs today (?) unless I read it wrong?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 08:44 PM   #65
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion141 View Post
I saw that, just wanted to see some dedicated still photographs of the trunk space to get a really good sense of the trunk. Video was a little difficult to tease out exactly how things are going to look.
Here was the photo compilation I posted in X4Guy's thread, 'X3 30i POV review' 25 Oct 0824AM (looks similar to what they have had to do in their other offerings, and makes sense as they are all designed to mm specs to maximize volume and aerodynamics) -
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 08:45 PM   #66
AUS1969
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

I brought the M40i home this evening. Alpine white. My first suv-type vehicle, first automatic transmission, with more gadgetry than I've had before. No M steering wheel. 20 inch wheels with Pirelli runflats.
Appreciate 0