BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-02-2022, 01:22 PM   #1
cranialsurge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 2016 320i xDrive

Garage List
Questions regarding 20" wheels

Hi,

I have a few noobish questions regarding an upgrade to 20" wheels. I current have a 19" square setup on my 21 M40i with Conti. ExtremeContact DWS 06+ tires.

I've been curious about 20" wheels in a staggered setup and want to venture in to getting some lived experience with them. I'm contemplating moving to a 695 tire+wheel set this Spring once it starts to get warmer: https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/6...SET,-STYLE-695

However I'm unclear about the reality of a staggered setup like the one above which comes with perf. summer RFTs in a Front / Rear: 245/45 R20 103W / 275/40 R20 106W config. Questions below -->

- As per my understanding a staggered setup like this benefits from better handling(e.g. while cornering and better traction in the winter with appropriate tires). Is this accurate? Because after scouring the forums what I see is that a lot of folks run this setup in the summer but prefer 19" square setups for the winter. Apart from the uneven wear of the rear tires compared to the front, is there a reason why a staggered setup like this would not be preferred over a 19" squared one?

- If I get the 695 tire and wheel set linked above, I plan on running them through the summer and then replacing the tires with good A/S tires and running them year round from there on out(either Conti. DWS 06+ or Pilot Sport A/S 4). I live in the PNW and don't really need a dedicated winter set. So a good high perf. A/S would be ideal. However should I keep anything in mind in doing so on such a 20" staggered setup vs 19" squared?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 04:35 PM   #2
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranialsurge View Post
Hi,

I have a few noobish questions regarding an upgrade to 20" wheels. I current have a 19" square setup on my 21 M40i with Conti. ExtremeContact DWS 06+ tires.

I've been curious about 20" wheels in a staggered setup and want to venture in to getting some lived experience with them. I'm contemplating moving to a 695 tire+wheel set this Spring once it starts to get warmer: https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/6...SET,-STYLE-695

However I'm unclear about the reality of a staggered setup like the one above which comes with perf. summer RFTs in a Front / Rear: 245/45 R20 103W / 275/40 R20 106W config. Questions below -->

- As per my understanding a staggered setup like this benefits from better handling(e.g. while cornering and better traction in the winter with appropriate tires). Is this accurate? Because after scouring the forums what I see is that a lot of folks run this setup in the summer but prefer 19" square setups for the winter. Apart from the uneven wear of the rear tires compared to the front, is there a reason why a staggered setup like this would not be preferred over a 19" squared one?

- If I get the 695 tire and wheel set linked above, I plan on running them through the summer and then replacing the tires with good A/S tires and running them year round from there on out(either Conti. DWS 06+ or Pilot Sport A/S 4). I live in the PNW and don't really need a dedicated winter set. So a good high perf. A/S would be ideal. However should I keep anything in mind in doing so on such a 20" staggered setup vs 19" squared?
My two cents .. a square rim and tire setup is nice, with respect to rotating tires front-to-back (if not side-to-side if tires are directional). Narrower tires are preferred for winter in snow, as they distribute the same weight over less tread width. In your case, where you're just driving in colder temperatures, there's no compelling performance advantage in winter of square vs. staggered, 19" vs. 20", unless you drive in a particularly spirited fashion with DSC off. The staggered (wider rear) tires will reduce oversteer and increase understeer characteristics, by virtue of increasing the rear tire contact patch. Tire-for-tire, by virtue of their taller sidewall, 19" tires will provide more ride comfort and a lower handling limit than 20s -- though the different is likely slight. The main difference between 19" and 20" is looks -- either bigger rims with more presence, or wider rear tires and the performance image they project.
Appreciate 2
      01-03-2022, 10:05 AM   #3
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
My two cents .. a square rim and tire setup is nice, with respect to rotating tires front-to-back (if not side-to-side if tires are directional). Narrower tires are preferred for winter in snow, as they distribute the same weight over less tread width. In your case, where you're just driving in colder temperatures, there's no compelling performance advantage in winter of square vs. staggered, 19" vs. 20", unless you drive in a particularly spirited fashion with DSC off. The staggered (wider rear) tires will reduce oversteer and increase understeer characteristics, by virtue of increasing the rear tire contact patch. Tire-for-tire, by virtue of their taller sidewall, 19" tires will provide more ride comfort and a lower handling limit than 20s -- though the different is likely slight. The main difference between 19" and 20" is looks -- either bigger rims with more presence, or wider rear tires and the performance image they project.
Your comments are generally in line with my thoughts. The only distinction in my case is that I am pondering running a 20" square setup for summer. I bought my 2021 X3 M40i with a 19" square setup with summer performance RFTs, which I am happy with BTW, but when the OEM tires wear out over the next several thousand miles, I am thinking about repurposing the 19" wheels for AT or snows, and going to a 20" square summer performance non-RFT setup. If I can find what I want. I think my square setup would be 8jx20ET27 245/45ZR20. I have the Space Saver spare option, and I keep a pump, plugs, etc. in my car at all times.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 11:48 AM   #4
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

I run staggered AS and Square winters - usually with the smallest rim to allow the most rubber and subsequent pot hole protection. Put spacers on the rear to keep the rear "look" going...
Appreciate 2
      01-03-2022, 10:33 PM   #5
cranialsurge
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks a ton for taking the time to share your perspective here. Really appreciate it, super helpful. That makes a lot of sense. In general, winters here are mild. The past few weeks however have been a freak show with a snow storm followed by wet snow. Definitely got quite intimate with 'oversteer'. At least now I know the limit of the Contis I'm currently running with

This gives me some more to think about. Because ultimately what I would end up with even if I do end up trying out a 20" staggered config. would be similar high perf. A/S tires on them for year round driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 11:32 PM   #6
Grizzlymc
The Hibernator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Hi,

I'm running the 695 square setup on my M40i swapping between conti's winter and summers. Love the look and feel. Also FWIW they are lighter weight than the 20" and 21" msports styles.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 03:47 PM   #7
TX3M
Car guy
Rep

Quote:
Well said

OP: Sounds like you don't need a set of dedicated winters where you live. If I were you, I would sell the 19's and get a set of 20's with the same Conti A/S tires to run all year long (that's the setup I have).
Appreciate 2
      01-06-2022, 12:28 AM   #8
cranialsurge
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3M View Post
Well said

OP: Sounds like you don't need a set of dedicated winters where you live. If I were you, I would sell the 19's and get a set of 20's with the same Conti A/S tires to run all year long (that's the setup I have).
Yea, up here in Washington(Seattle area), rain is the flavor for most of the year. We get a week or two of snow/sleet. But not more than a few inches usually. I love the look of the 695s. Do they have a square version of these: https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/6...SET,-STYLE-695

I couldn't find that as an option on the accessories page once I put in the model as 2021 X3 M40i.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 10:41 AM   #9
jpanimator
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M40i

Seattle area here as well. I sold our 19" 698's and put on a staggered set of Beyern Damon 20's with Conti DWS06 Plus. So far so good. Also have the Conti's on my SQ5.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 11:27 AM   #10
gtilluminati
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: its black

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpanimator View Post
Seattle area here as well. I sold our 19" 698's and put on a staggered set of Breyton Damon 20's with Conti DWS06 Plus. So far so good. Also have the Conti's on my SQ5.
Those Beyerns or breytons on the x3?

Whatever they are what are the specs?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 11:37 AM   #11
jpanimator
Private
Rep

Beyern Damon.
Rears 20x10 ET39 (275/40)
Fronts 20x9 ET25 (245/45)
I've since added F15 and R12 mm spacers.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 12:25 PM   #12
gtilluminati
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: its black

Quote:
Beyern Damon.
They look good! Howd they fit without the spacers? Any rubbing?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 01:09 PM   #13
jpanimator
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtilluminati View Post
Quote:
Beyern Damon.
They look good! Howd they fit without the spacers? Any rubbing?
They were a bit too tucked in for my taste. They are more flush now. No rubbing at all.
H&R springs are being installed next week. Too much wheel gap rt now.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 05:38 PM   #14
TX3M
Car guy
Rep

Quote:
Yea, up here in Washington(Seattle area), rain is the flavor for most of the year. We get a week or two of snow/sleet. But not more than a few inches usually. I love the look of the 695s. Do they have a square version of these: https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/6...SET,-STYLE-695

I couldn't find that as an option on the accessories page once I put in the model as 2021 X3 M40i.
Based upon the tire size details in that link, it looks like the 695's are also staggered:
Front / Rear: 245/45 R20 103W / 275/40 R20 106W

You'll probably need to go after-market to get a square set of 20's.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 05:39 PM   #15
TX3M
Car guy
Rep

Quote:
Seattle area here as well. I sold our 19" 698's and put on a staggered set of Beyern Damon 20's with Conti DWS06 Plus. So far so good. Also have the Conti's on my SQ5.
Excellent rim choices on both vehicles, they look sharp!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 06:07 PM   #16
jpanimator
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3M View Post
Excellent rim choices on both vehicles, they look sharp!
Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 02:48 AM   #17
ironxcross
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i/2016 M235xi

Also in Seattle, running staggered summers and square winters on my 2 series, will do the same on my X3 as soon as it arrives.

If I was going to run all seasons up here I would probably just go staggered. Also I have observed over the years that my tire wear front and rear is not different enough that I would care to rotate them when square, since I tend to replace winters every 2 years anyway (well, far less often now that I work from home every day.. I didn't even bother to take the winters off last summer and they are still good for the rest of this winter and then some).
Appreciate 0