BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #1
misterbixby
Private
Rep
Drives: G30 m550i

Hi guys,

Picked up last week the other half's M40i.

After much deliberation but she in the end decided on Carbon black with Cognac. She's very happy with the choice with initial concerns on whether it would be 'blue' enough. Have to say that I agree it looks awesome however I can see that it will need serious maintenance to keep its shiny lustre.

Had some time to drive it over the weekend and hear are a few thoughts.

I drive a G30 M550i so cant help but compare it in many ways.

The main benefit is that it that its a smaller car, yet still has plenty of practicality. The high driving position is typical SUV commanding but it doesn't have typical SUV roll. In fact this things is seriously nimble and switched direction readily. The compromise is on the ride with fairly stiff suspension but yet is quite ok for me.

The engine is great, very responsive and rapid. The cars acceleration compliments the size and provides a great commanding performance that gives you the control and fun that makes for a great driving experience. Its not as fast as the M550i but to feel the difference you need to drive the latter harder, which in the city forces some quite violent acceleration and vigorous driving, which lets face it, is not often done. Especially with passengers

The sound is lively. Definitely louder than the M550i, but the note is higher and lacks the V8 burble. To me it sounds better in comfort, in sport and it is too intrusive and the drone after a bit is annoying. Saying that and there is definitely drone in the other modes too.

Interior finishes are not quite 5 series levels but are still very good, but maybe that is down to some options. Ceramic, nappa leather and piano black on the dash add a bit on the G30. Definitely better than the GLC equivalent that we tested and Range Rover Evoque. Seating is smaller, and for a larger guy like me (6ft 2 and 105kg) my lats don't quite fit in the back of the seat very well. This is what turned me off the M4 a while back.

Generally I really like the car, and frankly prefer it to mine in city driving, its nimble, easy to park and practical. I even see less than 20l/km With power whenever you need it. It also looks great too, a fantastic aggressive and quality look. I must say I like the ridges on the bonnet but on the highway and for longer journeys the G30 is the easy choice.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      10-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #2
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Any more pics of the interior? I've been curious to see how Cognac contracts with Carbon Black. Also, what is your take on maintenance on CB, do you think it will attract swirls relatively easy?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 04:15 PM   #3
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

Carbon Black is my equal choice to black Sapphire. It was a coin toss that made the call for mine - Black Sapphire it is! I therefore opted for black leather, had CB won the toss it would have been cognac leather.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #4
DavidLE46/F36
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 430iGC & 2006 330Ci vert

Nice! Congratulations 👍🏼

2006 E46 vert - Black w/Montana, 330, Sport, 6 Speed Manual, Dynavin N7, Harmon.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 04:31 PM   #5
misterbixby
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksM3 View Post
Any more pics of the interior? I've been curious to see how Cognac contracts with Carbon Black. Also, what is your take on maintenance on CB, do you think it will attract swirls relatively easy?
Cant say yet. It may well do. My sister has a 2 year old 3 series in tanzanite blue, which is a shade lighter but has that similar strong metallic hue. That car has swirls galore, but it could be down to poor maintenance from the previous owner.

will take some more pics of the interior when I get a chance, but the combo works really well. I would say Ivory would work really well too.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #6
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbixby View Post
Cant say yet. It may well do. My sister has a 2 year old 3 series in tanzanite blue, which is a shade lighter but has that similar strong metallic hue. That car has swirls galore, but it could be down to poor maintenance from the previous owner.

will take some more pics of the interior when I get a chance, but the combo works really well. I would say Ivory would work really well too.
Ivory looks a million dollars with Caron Black. For me, one of the best ever combinations. High maintenance though.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 05:31 PM   #7
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Very nice write up, and congrats on the new X3...love the carbon black. Mine is white, but if I could do it over again, it would be carbon black with ivory interior.
2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 07:47 PM   #8
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksM3 View Post
My 2015 X3 was CB. I loved the color (blue with direct sunlight, black otherwise). It was difficult (for me) to maintain properly, but finally is the same as any dark colored vehicle.

Still was a great color. No real regrets
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 01:56 AM   #9
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
My 2015 X3 was CB. I loved the color (blue with direct sunlight, black otherwise). It was difficult (for me) to maintain properly, but finally is the same as any dark colored vehicle.

I don't get all this dark car attracts muck stuff? I had CB for last two vehicles and sure it gets dirty but surely a lighter color (I ordered new Phytonic for a change) would equally be as crappy in dirt?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 02:31 AM   #10
BMWGuySweden
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Have the same spec, carbon with cognac. Love it!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 06:36 AM   #11
misterbixby
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
Quote:

I don't get all this dark car attracts muck stuff? I had CB for last two vehicles and sure it gets dirty but surely a lighter color (I ordered new Phytonic for a change) would equally be as crappy in dirt?
It's not about attracting dirt, all cars collect the same amount of grime under the same conditions. It about how visible the dirt is.

The best colour I ever had for looking clean the longest was a light silver grey, dust quite have the same effect when freshly washed though.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 06:50 AM   #12
rplamb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 3.0i M sport

I have the CB with Vernasca Mocha. Very elegant.
      10-16-2018, 07:23 AM   #13
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
Quote:

Not the dirt, just scratches/swirls are more obvious on dark colors, at least in my experience
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 04:14 PM   #14
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

wow, that is beautiful. So glad I am ordering the same exterior. Interior color is still up for debate.
      07-18-2022, 09:38 PM   #15
sgyX3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, BMW 320xi

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [0.00]
2023 BMW x1  [10.00]
2020 BMW x3M40i  [0.00]
Wow that is an awesome combo. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 09:35 AM   #16
X3rd Time Is a Charm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 GO1

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgyX3 View Post
Wow that is an awesome combo. Congrats!
Crazy how Blue a Black car can look ! Good Luck with you new ride !
Sapphire Black 2013 X3 28i ,
Jet Black 2007 X3 3.0 Liter
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 11:45 AM   #17
Errolsguvnor
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i (Sensatec)

Carbon black with cognac is absolutely striking in those photos - very classy, "timeless elegance" vibes.

I went with Brooklyn Grey on a whim, but man that CB is beautiful, and something tells me I might prefer it in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 12:53 PM   #18
dagcity
Rep
Drives: 22 X3M40i

I also have a Carbon Black with cognac interior (red calipers though)... and can second that this color combo is amazing. I've always been a simple black on black kind of guy but with some convincing from wife and friends I ended up going with CB on cognac and do not regret it at all. I really love the cognac interior (ordered without seeing in person) and think its a perfect match with carbon black
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 07:42 PM   #19
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbixby View Post
Hi guys,

Picked up last week the other half's M40i.

After much deliberation but she in the end decided on Carbon black with Cognac. She's very happy with the choice with initial concerns on whether it would be 'blue' enough. Have to say that I agree it looks awesome however I can see that it will need serious maintenance to keep its shiny lustre.

Had some time to drive it over the weekend and hear are a few thoughts.

I drive a G30 M550i so cant help but compare it in many ways.

The main benefit is that it that its a smaller car, yet still has plenty of practicality. The high driving position is typical SUV commanding but it doesn't have typical SUV roll. In fact this things is seriously nimble and switched direction readily. The compromise is on the ride with fairly stiff suspension but yet is quite ok for me.

The engine is great, very responsive and rapid. The cars acceleration compliments the size and provides a great commanding performance that gives you the control and fun that makes for a great driving experience. Its not as fast as the M550i but to feel the difference you need to drive the latter harder, which in the city forces some quite violent acceleration and vigorous driving, which lets face it, is not often done. Especially with passengers

The sound is lively. Definitely louder than the M550i, but the note is higher and lacks the V8 burble. To me it sounds better in comfort, in sport and it is too intrusive and the drone after a bit is annoying. Saying that and there is definitely drone in the other modes too.

Interior finishes are not quite 5 series levels but are still very good, but maybe that is down to some options. Ceramic, nappa leather and piano black on the dash add a bit on the G30. Definitely better than the GLC equivalent that we tested and Range Rover Evoque. Seating is smaller, and for a larger guy like me (6ft 2 and 105kg) my lats don't quite fit in the back of the seat very well. This is what turned me off the M4 a while back.

Generally I really like the car, and frankly prefer it to mine in city driving, its nimble, easy to park and practical. I even see less than 20l/km With power whenever you need it. It also looks great too, a fantastic aggressive and quality look. I must say I like the ridges on the bonnet but on the highway and for longer journeys the G30 is the easy choice.
Thank you! In big debate myself and her concerns are the same as mine. Now the debate is the cognac leather. Since you have had it for a while now, is there any "dirt" issue and do you still like the color combo?