BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-14-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

More BMW Connected issues - very frustrated

So in addition to the lack of Remote 360 View that several of us have ranted about (me included), my iPhone Connected app has not been able to locate my car since November 3. Presumably at the same time, it lost the ability to lock and unlock the doors, flash the lights or sound the horn. All those functions had been working since I picked up my car at the end of September. fwiw, the Connected app can still send a nav location to the car.

I've been on the phone with BMW four times today - updating the app in the car, deleting and reinstalling the app on my phone. No fix. I finally spoke to a supervisor with the Connected tech support group (which is different than the Genius group) who initially blamed my 10-day old problem on their back-end migration. "When did that migration occur?", I ask. "In May," she tells me. Idiot.

Is this just my issue, or are others (at least in the US) experiencing the same thing? fwiw, on the iPhone's Connected app home screen, just under the pic of the car and the fuel level and range, you'll see a "Last Updated" date and time.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 01:52 PM   #2
wingzee
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT Competition

Just collected my MY20 here in Australia and it was working at the dealership yesterday but the app now shows last status update was 24hrs ago.

Able to send location to the vehicle (takes awhile) but none of the remote lock/unlock, flash the lights etc works. Vehicle’s fuel range and status also not been updated since yesterday. Went into the ConnectedDrive portal (website) and it shows the same.

The vehicle itself is still receiving RTTI, weather and news information no problems. This makes me believe perhaps the vehicle is not sending data to the server but able to download.

Is there a service outage of some sorts?

Will try rebooting the iDrive and uninstalling the app tonight to see if that works.
Appreciate 1
scrammer421.50
      11-14-2019, 03:00 PM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
So in addition to the lack of Remote 360 View that several of us have ranted about (me included), my iPhone Connected app has not been able to locate my car since November 3. Presumably at the same time, it lost the ability to lock and unlock the doors, flash the lights or sound the horn. All those functions had been working since I picked up my car at the end of September. fwiw, the Connected app can still send a nav location to the car.

I've been on the phone with BMW four times today - updating the app in the car, deleting and reinstalling the app on my phone. No fix. I finally spoke to a supervisor with the Connected tech support group (which is different than the Genius group) who initially blamed my 10-day old problem on their back-end migration. "When did that migration occur?", I ask. "In May," she tells me. Idiot.

Is this just my issue, or are others (at least in the US) experiencing the same thing? fwiw, on the iPhone's Connected app home screen, just under the pic of the car and the fuel level and range, you'll see a "Last Updated" date and time.
Have you toggled remote services off/on in iDrive and the Connected Drive website?

Yes, it's wonky and commonly unreliable. Mine works at the moment. In USA.
      11-14-2019, 04:07 PM   #4
ggdowski
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

mine works for the moment as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 04:27 PM   #5
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Maybe ID7 is playing a role in this. I have ID6 a all is working fine. Just did remote 3d view.

As for the status update, it shows the time when I was last connected to the car via Bluetooth right now. It's updated regularly in other times. Try to connect your phone to the car and log in to the app. Maybe that will help for the moment.
You guys in US have much more trouble with the Connected drive than we are in Europe. At least it looks like that judging from the forum.
      11-14-2019, 04:44 PM   #6
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Have you toggled remote services off/on in iDrive and the Connected Drive website?
Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
Try to connect your phone to the car and log in to the app. Maybe that will help for the moment.
Neither of these things solved the problem. Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:
Maybe ID7 is playing a role in this. I have ID6 a all is working fine. Just did remote 3d view.
I think there's a lot of truth in this.

Quote:
You guys in US have much more trouble with the Connected drive than we are in Europe.
Right??
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 07:21 PM   #7
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Try to connect your phone to the car and log in to the app. Maybe that will help for the moment.

Quote:

Quote:
You guys in US have much more trouble with the Connected drive than we are in Europe.
Right??
There's definitely truth to iDrive 7 cars having more issues with Connected Drive services. I've experienced it with 2 friends cars that have iDrive 7, and dealer staff has told me same. My 2 iDrive 6 cars have no issues with Connected Drive services.
      11-14-2019, 07:49 PM   #8
chpnsus
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x3 m40

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Right??
There's definitely truth to iDrive 7 cars having more issues with Connected Drive services. I've experienced it with 2 friends cars that have iDrive 7, and dealer staff has told me same. My 2 iDrive 6 cars have no issues with Connected Drive services.
Rumors out there saying bmw is going to release an update for ID7. Since remote update is broken I'm guessing it's a dealer visit.

Has anyone gone to bmw.com/update ? Enter your vin and they will say it's updated via remote. However we are missing the remote update option.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 08:51 PM   #9
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpnsus View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Right??
Rumors out there saying bmw is going to release an update for ID7. Since remote update is broken I'm guessing it's a dealer visit.

Has anyone gone to bmw.com/update ? Enter your vin and they will say it's updated via remote. However we are missing the remote update option.
BMW releases software updates every few weeks. IDrive 7 is very much work in progress.

More than likely you will need to visit dealer for a full iStep level update.
      11-14-2019, 09:29 PM   #10
gugin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I installed the Connected app in February and uninstalled it two months later. The app was not able to tell me a single time whether the doors on my car were locked or unlocked. The information shown in the app was hours or days old, never real time. I think the app is a joke. I love the car though.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 10:13 PM   #11
Waterbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Comp

I've had my new X3MC for a month, and nobody at BMW can get it linked to my connected account. Literally. App says "waiting for confirmation", web site keeps sending me confirmation codes, etc.

Talked to geniuses, talked to Managers, talked to coders. Nothing. "Sorry, it's not an issue with the car, we just can't get it to 'take' with your email address." It's truly, truly baffling. Nobody can do anything.

Little thing, yes. But the type of little thing that negatively impacts the purchase of a new car.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2019, 05:00 AM   #12
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbelly View Post
I've had my new X3MC for a month, and nobody at BMW can get it linked to my connected account. Literally. App says "waiting for confirmation", web site keeps sending me confirmation codes, etc. Talked to geniuses, talked to Managers, talked to coders. Nothing. "Sorry, it's not an issue with the car, we just can't get it to 'take' with your email address." It's truly, truly baffling. Nobody can do anything. Little thing, yes. But the type of little thing that negatively impacts the purchase of a new car.
Very frustrating story, especially as you have an iDrive 6 vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #13
gugin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Let's face it--BMW is known for its mechanical engineering prowess, not its software development skills. We'll have to give BMW another decade to figure out how to accomplish simple software things.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 06:48 PM   #14
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

2020 X3MC, ID6, Android / Connecteddrive - working as expected. No outages as yet, now 4 weeks.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #15
syuan92
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
I've had my new X3MC for a month, and nobody at BMW can get it linked to my connected account. Literally. App says "waiting for confirmation", web site keeps sending me confirmation codes, etc.

Talked to geniuses, talked to Managers, talked to coders. Nothing. "Sorry, it's not an issue with the car, we just can't get it to 'take' with your email address." It's truly, truly baffling. Nobody can do anything.

Little thing, yes. But the type of little thing that negatively impacts the purchase of a new car.
Quote:

My car didn't receive the message for several days after I took delivery. However, I got the notification out of the blue with my confirmation code and everything is all set now. No remote 360 view though :/ I was also able to connect my BMW Financial Services Account on the app shortly after I got an email from BMW to set up payments etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 11:12 PM   #16
marcati
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

I've given up on using the app. To me it's completely useless. other than logging in and seeing status, nothing works consistently and because I live in a country that uses non-latin based alphabet a lot of the stuff related to GPS won't work anyway. A total disappointment. Better to outsource the development and just get it right so it's a real selling feature. Would love to just be able to use Android Auto. This Apple CarPlay only is a joke given the amount of Android users globally.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 12:41 AM   #17
syuan92
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Has anyone else gotten the "send destination to car" to work on the Connected App? I tried it today but nothing came up in my car after I sent an address to my car through the app :/
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 01:44 AM   #18
The Dutch Joe
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20i M-Sport (G01)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syuan92 View Post
Has anyone else gotten the "send destination to car" to work on the Connected App? I tried it today but nothing came up in my car after I sent an address to my car through the app :/
Works for me. G01 X3.
Also when having an address in my calendar appointment, it automatically asks if I want that destination in my NAV. Pretty cool.

Apple CarPlay user though..
      11-17-2019, 04:15 AM   #19
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That's one of the few things that does work for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 06:00 AM   #20
marcati
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Quote:
That's one of the few things that does work for me.
it worked for me a few times, but hasn't worked in months.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 06:56 AM   #21
gabrahamse
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

More BMW Connected issues - very frustrated

My Remote Services stopped working a while ago, but seems to be restored for the time being. I have now haveing another problem in that my contacts on my phone are not synching via bluetooth, and I can't search contacts.

I have deleted the device and linked it again.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 02:56 PM   #22
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrahamse View Post
My Remote Services stopped working a while ago, but seems to be restored for the time being.
Are you able to see the Remote 3D View on your Connected app?
Appreciate 0