BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #1
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

BMW, allow the M40d in the United States.

Hey BMW, I am interested in purchasing an X3 M40d; however, I live in the U.S.

Anybody else here in North America interested?
      09-15-2019, 03:28 AM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

The only reason to have an M40d over an M40i is the fuel economy, and as fuel is so cheap in America, there's really no point in it!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 04:04 AM   #3
SteveX3M40i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX40MSport

And US spec. diesel is such poor quality.
I would not like to use USA specification diesel on a high performance SUV with common rail diesel injection.

2019 X3M40i - gone!
2023 iX40MSport
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 08:11 AM   #4
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
The only reason to have an M40d over an M40i is the fuel economy, and as fuel is so cheap in America, there's really no point in it!
With the B57 engine being ~40% more efficient and essentially the same performance output as a M40i, we would save about 50% in fuel costs and less in CO2 emissions.
      09-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #5
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by seccsc View Post
With the B57 engine being ~40% more efficient and essentially the same performance output as a M40i, we would save about 50% in fuel costs and less in CO2 emissions.
I have a 35D F25, the engine is very similar to the M40d. Mileage is about 20% better than expect from the M40i. If I drive the 35D hard it drinks just as hard as a petrol/gas engine. If I'm really gentle then it can be very economical but this never lasts long.
Appreciate 1
seccsc239.00
      09-15-2019, 08:53 AM   #6
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveX3M40i View Post
And US spec. diesel is such poor quality.
I would not like to use USA specification diesel on a high performance SUV with common rail diesel injection.
Based on what I'm reading, Diesel sulfur spec In the USA is less than 15 ppm and Germany is less than 10 ppm. USA Cetane level meets what is covered in the users manual.
Attached Images

09-15-2019, 09:05 AM   #7
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
Quote:
I have a 35D F25, the engine is very similar to the M40d. Mileage is about 20% better than expect from the M40i. If I drive the 35D hard it drinks just as hard as a petrol/gas engine. If I'm really gentle then it can be very economical but this never lasts long.
I agree, you hammer any of these cars, they will drink the fuel. I base my fuel savings on a 93 octane usage, especially with my N54.
      09-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #8
SteveX3M40i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Based on what I'm reading, Diesel sulfur spec In the USA is less than 15 ppm and Germany is less than 10 ppm. USA Cetane level meets what is covered in the users manual.
Hi,
There is more to diesel than sulphur and cetane values.
The key problem with diesel in certain parts of the world is the lubricity.
The sulphur in diesel aids lubricity - so removing the sulphur lowers this.
As diesel serves two functions in an engine - fuel and lubricant - low lubricity means premature wear on engine components.
This does not matter much on an old Golf Pump Duse - unit injector engine but it is critical on a modern common rail engine with extremely high pressures and very fine fuel injection system tolerances.
Fuel suppliers add different additives to their pump fuel to aid lubricity, boost cetane levels and keep engines clean.
Apparently these are not so advanced in US spec. diesel (probably due to the relatively low uptake of Diesel engined road cars in the USA) and the added costs.
I used to work for one of the worlds leading diesel fuel injection system manufacturers - so spent a lot of time on this subject!
Cheers
Steve

2019 X3M40i - gone!
2023 iX40MSport
Appreciate 2
chicagofan0019054.50
seccsc239.00
      09-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #9
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Quote:
But when fuel is so cheap in USA, is it worth the savings? Looks like it's currently around 80 cents a litre there, whereas in the UK it's close to $2 a litre!!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 12:02 PM   #10
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But when fuel is so cheap in USA, is it worth the savings? Looks like it's currently around 80 cents a litre there, whereas in the UK it's close to $2 a litre!!
I think so based on how long I keep vehicles. I've had my 335i for almost 12 years.
      09-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #11
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi,
There is more to diesel than sulphur and cetane values.
The key problem with diesel in certain parts of the world is the lubricity.
The sulphur in diesel aids lubricity - so removing the sulphur lowers this.
As diesel serves two functions in an engine - fuel and lubricant - low lubricity means premature wear on engine components.
This does not matter much on an old Golf Pump Duse - unit injector engine but it is critical on a modern common rail engine with extremely high pressures and very fine fuel injection system tolerances.
Fuel suppliers add different additives to their pump fuel to aid lubricity, boost cetane levels and keep engines clean.
Apparently these are not so advanced in US spec. diesel (probably due to the relatively low uptake of Diesel engined road cars in the USA) and the added costs.
I used to work for one of the worlds leading diesel fuel injection system manufacturers - so spent a lot of time on this subject!
Cheers
Steve
Hello Steve,

Thank you for the insight.

The one item I don't understand how specifically this would cause wear in the engine. All engine internal components are oil lubricated and the fuel is direct injected. However, I can see this issue being a specific problem with the injectors and the high pressure fuel pumps (HPFP). The B57 engines run a fuel pressure at 26,000 psi and I can see that being a problem. When I purchased my 335i 12 years ago, the initial N54 HPFPs were failing due to the USA petrol containing 10% ethanol and lowered the lubricity causing internal seal failures in the fuel pumps compared to European vehicles. BMW redesigned the HPFPs and have been pretty steady since.
It would be awesome if BMW already designed the B57 knowing that difference.
Another thought, running fuel pressure at 26,000 psi is very much different from 3,000 psi of an N54 HPFP.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Sam
      09-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #12
SteveX3M40i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hello Steve,

The one item I don't understand how specifically this would cause wear in the engine. All engine internal components are oil lubricated and the fuel is direct injected. However, I can see this issue being a specific problem with the injectors and the high pressure fuel pumps (HPFP). The B57 engines run a fuel pressure at 26,000 psi and I can see that being a problem. When I purchased my 335i 12 years ago, the initial N54 HPFPs were failing due to the USA petrol containing 10% ethanol and lowered the lubricity causing internal seal failures in the fuel pumps compared to European vehicles. BMW redesigned the HPFPs and have been pretty steady since.
Another thought, running fuel pressure at 26,000 psi is very much different from 3,000 psi of an N54 HPFP.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Sam
Hi Sam,
Yes it’s the diesel fuel high pressure injection pump and injectors that are prone to premature wear from low lubricity diesel.
There are also problems with injectors sticking - due to a varnish like build up on the mating surfaces - this increases the component diameter and reduces the already small clearances until the control valves inside the injector eventually stick (and stop working).
Cheers
Steve

2019 X3M40i - gone!
2023 iX40MSport
Appreciate 1
seccsc239.00
      09-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #13
Doug Hoover
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i

Bring that M40 diesel here and the faithful BMW crowd will buy it !
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 04:39 PM   #14
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
I have personal experience with a VW dieselgate vehicle. The fuel economy of modern diesels is excellent. The reliability of the emissions system is very poor. This mainly means EGR, NOx hardware, DPF, DEF hardware and turbos.

I think there is some truth in the fuel specification difference between North America and the rest of the world. There is also a prevalence of biodiesel in the US, which may or may not be a factor.

Have a read on the Mercedes-Benz forum. Diesel failures abound. A number of M-B owners on that site speak openly about their experiences.

Furthermore, there is no financial equation that benefits the consumer, when buying a diesel passenger vehicle in the US. Initial purchase price is higher, and combined with higher maintenance cost and poor reliability, the fuel cost savings are eaten by the aforementioned costs.

While it would be nice, I do not see the German car companies bringing diesels to the US until the dieselgate situation fully blows over. Daimler is under scrutiny now in a similar way that VW was, related to diesel emissions irregularities.
Appreciate 1
seccsc239.00
      09-16-2019, 09:49 AM   #15
mattchops
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

I definitely would have bought one. I tried to get the last model diesel X5, but had trouble sourcing one in the options I wanted, since by that time they had stopped making them. it sucks we can't get that motor. I'm not sure if the diesel didn't sell well in general or they're worried about the whole VW diesel-gate scandal.
Appreciate 1
seccsc239.00
      09-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #16
SteveX3M40i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchops View Post
I definitely would have bought one. I tried to get the last model diesel X5, but had trouble sourcing one in the options I wanted, since by that time they had stopped making them. it sucks we can't get that motor. I'm not sure if the diesel didn't sell well in general or they're worried about the whole VW diesel-gate scandal.
Hi,
I think the manufacturers know that pump diesel in the USA is not very suitable for cars (OK for trucks) - so they don’t want to risk big warranty bills and their reputation by selling diesel cars.
Therefore unrelated to the dieselgate scandal - which was all about rigging emissions.
Cheers
Steve

2019 X3M40i - gone!
2023 iX40MSport
Appreciate 1
seccsc239.00
      09-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #17
Lenny_RDM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Hey BMW, I am interested in purchasing an X3 M40d; however, I live in the U.S.

Anybody else here in North America interested?
With this diesel in Usa this car die really fast....
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 01:44 PM   #18
Lenny_RDM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchops View Post
Hi,
I think the manufacturers know that pump diesel in the USA is not very suitable for cars (OK for trucks) - so they don’t want to risk big warranty bills and their reputation by selling diesel cars.
Therefore unrelated to the dieselgate scandal - which was all about rigging emissions.
Cheers
Steve
I'm truck driver, believe me this eco diesel is garbage, so many times i got problems in my semi..... new cars are sensitive tooooo sensitive;///
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 08:06 PM   #19
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hello Steve,

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Sam
Hi Sam,
Yes it's the diesel fuel high pressure injection pump and injectors that are prone to premature wear from low lubricity diesel.
There are also problems with injectors sticking - due to a varnish like build up on the mating surfaces - this increases the component diameter and reduces the already small clearances until the control valves inside the injector eventually stick (and stop working).
Cheers
Steve
Steve,

Based your background, do you have any additive recommendations to combat this issue?