BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-28-2019, 11:06 AM   #23
bkfastwagon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

One another important factor is lease vs purchase. CPO Macan GTSs are going around 60k and will likely hold values better. X3MCs are 80+k new. Lease is a different story though.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 12:16 PM   #24
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017_M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfastwagon View Post
One another important factor is lease vs purchase. CPO Macan GTSs are going around 60k and will likely hold values better. X3MCs are 80+k new. Lease is a different story though.
Great point, actually CPO 2017/2018 is around 60K to 70K range. So shall I consider lease X3MC instead of buying?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 08:07 AM   #25
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTScapes View Post
Rear room is all that matters with a newborn because of the rear facing car seat. We have to move the front passenger seat up to almost unusable position.
The front seats shouldn't need to be adjusted for a single rear facing car seat. You put it in the middle rear seat and there's plenty of room.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 09:15 AM   #26
dylan1357
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Quote:
Rear room is all that matters with a newborn because of the rear facing car seat. We have to move the front passenger seat up to almost unusable position.
The front seats shouldn't need to be adjusted for a single rear facing car seat. You put it in the middle rear seat and there's plenty of room.
The majority of car seats are isofix and I don't believe there are isofix harness points on the middle seat.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 01:55 PM   #27
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan1357 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
The majority of car seats are isofix and I don't believe there are isofix harness points on the middle seat.
We mostly use seat belt for securing car seats in the US. I don't know why we don't use isofix
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 02:44 PM   #28
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Quote:
There aren't any Isofix/LATCH mount points, you just have to use the seatbelt.

Quote:
We mostly use seat belt for securing car seats in the US. I don't know why we don't use isofix
Isofix is used for convenience, car seats are a just as secure when mounted properly using the seatbelt and most Isofix seats support seat belt installation as well.

Another thing to remember is Isofix has a weight a limit of 40 lbs which is the combined weight of the child and the car seat. The only ones that generally do not have this limit are the isofix mounted boosters that the child uses a seatbelt with. For those seats, the isofix mounts are just to keep the seat from moving around when the child isn't buckled in. The Peg Perego Viaggio Flex and the Clek Oobr are examples of this type of booster.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 01:54 AM   #29
dylan1357
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Something a bit more factual than the varied opinions being shared. Child safety should be the highest priority rather than convenience.

https://www.maxi-cosi.co.uk/isofix-vs-car-seat-belt
Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      08-30-2019, 02:52 AM   #30
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
When I shop CPO Macans it seems like Turbos are the same price as GTSs. Personally I prefer the increased power of the Turbo model
      09-04-2019, 01:35 AM   #31
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Something a bit more factual than the varied opinions being shared. Child safety should be the highest priority rather than convenience.

What has been shared that wasn't factual?

ISOFIX makes it easier to install a car seat correctly, ie it's more convenient for the parent because it's easier to use. That does not make it any safer than when properly mounted with a seatbelt.

A rear facing carseat properly installed in the middle seat is the safest position in the vehicle for a single car seat.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...ubmed_RVDocSum

Quote:
CONCLUSIONS:
The most common seating position for appropriately restrained child occupants in a child-restraint system is the right rear outboard. The center rear seating position is used less often by children restrained by a child-restraint system as they get older. Children seated in the center rear have a 43% lower risk of injury compared with children in a rear outboard position.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 02:23 AM   #32
dylan1357
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

What has been shared that wasn't factual?

ISOFIX makes it easier to install a car seat correctly, ie it's more convenient for the parent because it's easier to use. That does not make it any safer than when properly mounted with a seatbelt.

A rear facing carseat properly installed in the middle seat is the safest position in the vehicle for a single car seat.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...ubmed_RVDocSum

Quote:
CONCLUSIONS:
The most common seating position for appropriately restrained child occupants in a child-restraint system is the right rear outboard. The center rear seating position is used less often by children restrained by a child-restraint system as they get older. Children seated in the center rear have a 43% lower risk of injury compared with children in a rear outboard position.
Yes...in a side on collision, but for front and rear collisions isofix provides additional safety. If you haven't installed the seat properly or even the child has messed with it since you've driven off, the car seat may move in a front/rear collision.

There pros/cons and different facts which show benefits for multiple implementations.

I personally like isofix and rear facing until 4...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 06:20 AM   #33
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
No just the M40i and the ride is honestly garbage even on tiny 19" wheels. I can't even imagine M suspension with 21" wheels. Probably stiffer than my F80. First time parent here. I prioritized being "cool dad" over ride comfort and quiet cabin for sleeping baby. Have to get gas all the time with 19 mpg, going to have to replace tires probably before 20k miles. PITA.
Check for the suspension Blocks being left in on the front struts, I bet yours are still in there.
      09-04-2019, 06:29 AM   #34
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes...in a side on collision, but for front and rear collisions isofix provides additional safety. If you haven't installed the seat properly or even the child has messed with it since you've driven off, the car seat may move in a front/rear collision.
The only seats where latch provides any additional safety are ones with a rigid latch install and there only a handful of seats that install using rigid latch connectors which are integrated into the frame of the car seat. Otherwise you're still using some form of flexible strap that's attached to the vehicle at the two latch points and generally you still need to manually tighten that strap.

Rigid latch is a breeze to install though, I've used the Clek Oobr in our XC90 and Silvercar provided the Peg-Pérego Viaggio Flex 120 with the Q7. They're more compact than the Clek and I'll probably go that route for the next booster we need.

Quote:
There pros/cons and different facts which show benefits for multiple implementations.

I personally like isofix and rear facing until 4...
In the X3, I use Diono Rainiers on the outboard seats using the latch and tether and an UPPAbaby Mesa for the infant in the middle.

The Dionos are much easier to install using latch over a seatbelt and once the kids are in full booster mode your only option is latch or it's just held in place when the put on the seatbelt.

The Mesa's base goes green when it's properly installed and tight against the seat. I haven't had it go red without actually unbuckling the seatbelt, it's never loosened on its own thus far.

Last edited by ND40oz; 09-04-2019 at 06:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 12:13 PM   #35
ghstm2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 M2/F97 X3M COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKen_0115 View Post
Hey,

Not sure if you have been struggling to decide either or on these two great cars. X3MC has lots great technologies, safety and most power but Macan GTS looks sharp and handling is quite different than BMW, GTS has the nicer interior though. GTS is only having a used one for consideration but I can have brand new on BMW. Which one you would choose? I have 17 M2 in my fleet and really need a SUV for my 1st child coming.

X3MC seems to have more space than GTS, I have been struggling on these two over a month and the budget is fine for either or.

Please share your opinion and love to get some aspect from you folks.
Why not keep it in the family? I did, I added the X3MC to compliment my M2. Tester the Macan and while nice, it felt too small and didn't over as much value as the X3M. Plus the X3M felt much more powerful and has a pleasing sound to my ears.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #36
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Quote:

Reading through this... So. If you have a brand new infant. is it better to install the seat on the outboard seats where there are isofix mounts? or better to install in the middle with no isofix but secured with the belt.

It seems like a trade off one way or another and I'm not clear as to which should outweigh the other.

My Durango doesn't have isofix in the center and i'm about to go outside to see if my F80 has it in the center.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 06:27 PM   #37
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
My 2020 Macan GTS build is pretty much in line with my X3MC build... at least at MSRP.

I view the comparison as the X3MC owning the power and tech; with the new Macan GTS owning luxury, ride, dealer experience, and prestige. When you consider the 2020 Macan GTS now has a detuned Macan Turbo motor (instead of a tweaked Macan S motor like the previous MY), you know there's a lot of potential under the hood.
      01-02-2020, 06:46 PM   #38
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
My 2020 Macan GTS build is pretty much in line with my X3MC build... at least at MSRP.

I view the comparison as the X3MC owning the power and tech; with the new Macan GTS owning luxury, ride, dealer experience, and prestige. When you consider the 2020 Macan GTS now has a detuned Macan Turbo motor (instead of a tweaked Macan S motor like the previous MY), you know there's a lot of potential under the hood.
Come on, bro, GTS and MC are not even in the same league. GTS competes with the smaller X3 brother, M40i. Macan is a bit more luxurious, but MC wipes the floor with Macan GTS performance-wise. MC is at least a sec faster 0-60. MC also has the better tech (check out the 360 view cam) and... better handling, because MC pretty much handles like an M3. MC also has FAR more space. Macan is really tiny. Tbh, I’m not sure you’ll have nicer ‘dealer experience’ at Porsche, should be same level. We are not talking about Rolls-Royce or Aston Martin. For me, MC should be clear choice here. Imo, X3 MC has only one real competitor, the AMG GLC63s.
Appreciate 3
BMWZ41909.50
knepsterd376.50
JKen_0115176.50
      01-02-2020, 06:49 PM   #39
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:

Come on, bro, GTS and MC are not even in the same league. GTS competes with the smaller X3 brother, M40i. Macan is a bit more luxurious, but MC wipes the floor with Macan GTS performance-wise. MC is at least a sec faster 0-60. MC also has the better tech (check out the 360 view cam) and... better handling, because MC pretty much handles like an M3. MC also has FAR more space. Macan is really tiny. Tbh, I'm not sure you'll have nicer 'dealer experience' at Porsche, should be same level. We are not talking about Rolls-Royce or Aston Martin. For me, MC should be clear choice here. Imo, X3 MC has only one real competitor, the AMG GLC63s.
You're mostly parroting the points I made, but you've slyly avoided the superior luxury experience the Macan delivers. The Porsche clearly has a nicer interior.
      01-02-2020, 06:54 PM   #40
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You're mostly parroting the points I made, but you've slyly avoided the superior luxury experience the Macan delivers. The Porsche clearly has a nicer interior.
Not true, I mentioned that Macan is slightly more luxurious. Not much though, E.g., I like the MC seats far more. Sorry, if you mostly want true luxury, you don’t buy a compact performance SUV. Go for GLE or X5. Or RR Velar...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 07:53 PM   #41
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
The Porsche clearly has a nicer interior.
Not with all those cheap flat black plastic buttons on the center console. That just cheapens up the interior.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 08:30 PM   #42
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:
Not true, I mentioned that Macan is slightly more luxurious. Not much though, E.g., I like the MC seats far more. Sorry, if you mostly want true luxury, you don't buy a compact performance SUV. Go for GLE or X5. Or RR Velar...
If I may play with your comment... Sorry, if you want true performance, you don't buy a SUV. Go for a coupe or at least a sedan.

But I digress.

When my perspective is tightly focused on these two vehicles (as it really is due to my considering both) I personally like the Porsche's interior far better. I also personally think the Macan GTS is a better looking vehicle on the exterior. The GTS is definitely going to be way more comfortable with its air suspension. I also like how I can equip the GTS exactly how I want, instead of the more package approach BMW employs. Conversely, the BMW has way more power stock; and I like the telematics system (iDrive) better than what Porsche is doing. Probably going to have to drive both for myself and also see what my real-world prices are.
Attached Images

01-02-2020, 08:32 PM   #43
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:
The Porsche clearly has a nicer interior.
Not with all those cheap flat black plastic buttons on the center console. That just cheapens up the interior.
Everyone has their own opinion. It appears ours aren't in sync.
      01-02-2020, 08:37 PM   #44
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
When my perspective is tightly focused on these two vehicles (as it really is due to my considering both) I personally like the Porsche's interior far better. I also personally think the Macan GTS is a better looking vehicle on the exterior. The GTS is definitely going to be way more comfortable with its air suspension. I also like how I can equip the GTS exactly how I want, instead of the more package approach BMW employs. Conversely, the BMW has way more power stock; and I like the telematics system (iDrive) better than what Porsche is doing. Probably going to have to drive both for myself and also see what my real-world prices are.
Sounds good. Good luck.
Appreciate 1