BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-31-2019, 09:35 AM   #1145
7thGear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
I'd like to get the dynamic dampers. Following either the online configurator or the build guide (PDF):
(1) You can get dynamic dampers by ordering the convenience package.
(2) BUT, if you get the Executive Package or Premium Package, you ALSO have to get MSport to get Dynamic Damper Control.

The above poster's experience at the dealership seems to agree?! Is this really correct?!

The build guide says "223 [Dynamic Damper] requires ordering ZCV [convenience] or ZM4 [MSport]." But the build guide also says, "ZCV cannot be ordered with ZPP [Premium] and ZPX [Executive]." The online configurator agrees: adding the Executive package removes the Convenience package and hence removes Dynamic Damper Control. If you have ZPX [Executive], the only path to dynamic damper control is to add MSport [ZM4].

The dynamic handling package (ZDH) also includes dynamic damper control (223), and the build guide says, "ZDH requires ordering ZCV, ZM4, ZPP or ZPX." That would suggest you can order ZDH if you only have ZPX [Executive], but following the exact language of the build guide and the online configurator, you can't! ZDH contains 223; 223 requires ZCV or ZM4; and if you have ZPX you can't have ZCV.

The online configurator follows the exact language of the PDF build guide, but the logical consequence of what's allowed/disallowed seems to me non-sensical and bizarre?! I would have thought there is a mistake, but the above poster says the factory would only let them order dynamic dampers if they also got msport?
It is nonsensical, but it's BMW's way of forcing you to load up the car with options and packages, where most of the profit is. It also doesn't make sense that you can't add the H/K surround sound without also ordering either the $5,000 ZPP or the $7,750 ZPX. If you don't want to lay down the long green for those, you can't have a decent sound system in your new premium German car.

Every new BMW should come with a jar of vaseline as standard.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 01:09 PM   #1146
odysseus
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

I mostly agree 7thGear, but I'm wondering if it may be an error? On the topic of H/K surround sound, those notes say:
(i) "688 [H/K surround] requires ordering ZPP [premium package]"
(ii) "ZPP [premium package] cannot be ordered with ZCV [convenience package] or ZPX [executive package]"

The logical implication of (i) and (ii) is that you can't get H/K sound if you get the executive package. That obviously can't be correct. It's a similar logical problem which applies to the dynamic damper.

(i) "223 requires ordering ZCV or ZM4"
(ii) "ZPP [premium package] cannot be ordered with ZCV [convenience package] or ZPX [executive package]"
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 05:10 PM   #1147
7thGear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35i

Quote:
I mostly agree 7thGear, but I'm wondering if it may be an error? On the topic of H/K surround sound, those notes say:
(i) "688 [H/K surround] requires ordering ZPP [premium package]"
Yes, it's one of the several errors I've found in the pricing guides of both the X1 and X3. The online configurator allows H/K with selection of either ZPP or ZPX. Or maybe the pricing guide is correct and the configurator is wrong. I don't think that either can be fully trusted.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 05:46 PM   #1148
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thGear View Post
Yes, it's one of the several errors I've found in the pricing guides of both the X1 and X3. The online configurator allows H/K with selection of either ZPP or ZPX. Or maybe the pricing guide is correct and the configurator is wrong. I don't think that either can be fully trusted.
You guys may want to look back a couple of pages. The HK error in the initial guide is well explained.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 01:53 AM   #1149
LITflyer
Rep
Drives: 17 i3, 15 x3

Quote:
I'd like to get the dynamic dampers. Following either the online configurator or the build guide (PDF):
(1) You can get dynamic dampers by ordering the convenience package.
(2) BUT, if you get the Executive Package or Premium Package, you ALSO have to get MSport to get Dynamic Damper Control.

The above poster's experience at the dealership seems to agree?! Is this really correct?!

The build guide says "223 [Dynamic Damper] requires ordering ZCV [convenience] or ZM4 [MSport]." But the build guide also says, "ZCV cannot be ordered with ZPP [Premium] and ZPX [Executive]." The online configurator agrees: adding the Executive package removes the Convenience package and hence removes Dynamic Damper Control. If you have ZPX [Executive], the only path to dynamic damper control is to add MSport [ZM4].

The dynamic handling package (ZDH) also includes dynamic damper control (223), and the build guide says, "ZDH requires ordering ZCV, ZM4, ZPP or ZPX." That would suggest you can order ZDH if you only have ZPX [Executive], but following the exact language of the build guide and the online configurator, you can't! ZDH contains 223; 223 requires ZCV or ZM4; and if you have ZPX you can't have ZCV.

The online configurator follows the exact language of the PDF build guide, but the logical consequence of what's allowed/disallowed seems to me non-sensical and bizarre?! I would have thought there is a mistake, but the above poster says the factory would only let them order dynamic dampers if they also got msport?

I'm thinking there is also a mistake in the factory order intake validation, based on some programmer not correctly interpreting the package/option dependencies.

As asinine as BMWs option policies can seem, there generally is some logic to them even if the logic is that it's a profit play.

But from my experience trying to place the order without Msport, and with the below results from the online configurator, I just can't make sense out of it:

With sDrive: ZDH requires msport, but you can get just the dampers (223) with convenience, premium, or executive.

However, with xDrive, you can only get 223 with the convenience package, and adding premium or executive will remove the dynamic dampers.

Only other thing I can think of is a parts shortage, and they have data to support that all sDrive customers and xDrive customers with "only" the convenience package are more price sensitive, while xDrive customers with premium/exec are more likely to fork over the extra few thousand for msport, and they're ok with not getting the $1,000 in revenue for the dampers from those who don't buy up to msport, since the dynamic dampers are in short supply anyway?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 11:40 AM   #1150
odysseus
Rep

I e-mailed BMW Genius, and they replied that the online configurator has a mistake. An excerpt from the BMW Genius reply is below:

Quote:
The Dynamic Damper Control will add the Performance Control to the order. Dynamic Damper Control requires ordering either the Convenience Package, The M Sport Package 2, the Premium Package, or the Executive Package.

Thank you for bringing the inconsistencies on our Build Your Own website to our attention. We have made our website team aware of your discovery. As the Build Your Own is a tool to help visualize potential options, we advise speaking with a Client Advisor at your local BMW center for customizing your vehicle. Your Client Advisor will also speak to availability, allocations, and pricing for your ideal 2020 BMW X3. We are unable to provide the Ordering Guide.

Last edited by odysseus; 09-04-2019 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: typo correction
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2019, 12:49 PM   #1151
LITflyer
Rep

Quote:
I e-mailed BMW Genius, and they replied that the online configurator has a mistake. An excerpt from the BMW Genius reply is below:
Sigh.. when I talked to the Genius line about the CA not being able to place the order, they said the CA needs to call the factory rep, which wasn't getting anywhere. Let me know if you end up being able to place the order. We take delivery next Friday, but the dealership is already making me a little upset*, so I'll gladly just lose my deposit and walk if it's actually possible to order 223 without ZM4.

*CA asked if invoice + $300 sounded fair when I ordered, but then let it out that his version of "invoice" includes a $1,500 dealership "pack fee" to cover paying the truck drivers, and some other loads of crap..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 08:33 AM   #1152
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

Quote:
*CA asked if invoice + $300 sounded fair when I ordered, but then let it out that his version of "invoice" includes a $1,500 dealership "pack fee" to cover paying the truck drivers, and some other loads of crap..
Yea, my BMW dealer pulled the same tactic. Their version of Invoice wasn’t the same as my version of Invoice. That’s why I used MSRP as my reference point instead. We can both agree on the MSRP price, and then use % off under that price.
Appreciate 1
Alias1431794.00
      09-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #1153
uxz
Rep
Drives: 440i / X4 M40i

Ordered and production number assigned on 9/10

2020 X4 M40i

Carbon Black Metallic
Black Vernasca Leather with Blue contrast stitching
Carbon Fiber Trim
20" M wheel 699M
HK and wireless charging
Executive package and DA

Build week 40.

If time could go any quicker.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #1154
Prepay16
Rep
Drives: None

I was able to order an xline with dynamic damper control and executive package. Roads in DCA can be awful so I also got with 18 wheels. So this should clear up that the online configurator is broken in that it only allows ddc with convenience package.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 01:40 AM   #1155
LITflyer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepay16 View Post
I was able to order an xline with dynamic damper control and executive package. Roads in DCA can be awful so I also got with 18 wheels. So this should clear up that the online configurator is broken in that it only allows ddc with convenience package.

Order as in production number assigned and everything?
I'm not sure if this comes with ddc or if you need the whole msport package, but compared to our old F25, in addition to comfort/sport/eco, they have added an "adaptive" mode.

It uses things like Nav data to adjust the suspension accordingly, and it is awesome. It feels super planted and stable in curves, but very comfortable the rest of the time, instead of the slightly harsh ride in regular sport mode. It also makes the car feel as though it has active roll stabilization, even though it doesn't.

As ticked as I was about having to get msport due to the ordering glitch, it was worth every penny for the adaptive suspension alone - the carbon fiber trim and upgraded exterior trim are icinj on the cake.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #1156
odysseus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepay16 View Post
I was slow to finalize my order and get back to the forum, but I was able to do this as well.

I ordered xDrive30i with Executive Package and Dynamic Damper Control. My order does NOT have MSport. Order went off to the factory, and the vehicle order (scheduled for production) shows up with the proper options on BMW's My Garage web thingy.

Last edited by odysseus; 09-19-2019 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 05:56 AM   #1157
Prepay16
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITflyer View Post
Order as in production number assigned and everything?
I'm not sure if this comes with ddc or if you need the whole msport package, but compared to our old F25, in addition to comfort/sport/eco, they have added an "adaptive" mode.

It uses things like Nav data to adjust the suspension accordingly, and it is awesome. It feels super planted and stable in curves, but very comfortable the rest of the time, instead of the slightly harsh ride in regular sport mode. It also makes the car feel as though it has active roll stabilization, even though it doesn't.

As ticked as I was about having to get msport due to the ordering glitch, it was worth every penny for the adaptive suspension alone - the carbon fiber trim and upgraded exterior trim are icinj on the cake.
Yeah...I have a production number. M Sport is a lovely looking car too. In my case I actually wanted 18 wheels which only come on th xLine to protect against my wife and city potholes (but don't tell her that)
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2019, 08:14 PM   #1158
Yellowmattei
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi Msport, '20 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxz View Post
Ordered and production number assigned on 9/10

2020 X4 M40i

Carbon Black Metallic
Black Vernasca Leather with Blue contrast stitching
Carbon Fiber Trim
20" M wheel 699M
HK and wireless charging
Executive package and DA

Build week 40.

If time could go any quicker.
UXZ - ordered virtually the same car, without the HK, but with Acoustic Glass, from BMW of Bayside. Where'd you order yours from? I don't have a build date yet, but I'm hoping for end of October or so.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 08:19 PM   #1159
uxz
Rep
Drives: 440i / X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowmattei View Post
UXZ - ordered virtually the same car, without the HK, but with Acoustic Glass, from BMW of Bayside. Where'd you order yours from? I don't have a build date yet, but I'm hoping for end of October or so.
BMW of Roxbury in Kenvil, NJ

Last edited by uxz; 10-04-2019 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 08:50 AM   #1160
335idrive
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 M40i

Haven't posted here in a while, but there's no better comeback than to be posting a new build order

2020 BMW X3 M40i

Dark Graphite Metallic
Black Vernasca Ventilated Seats
Carbon Fiber trim
Ambient Lighting
19" wheels (Philly roads)
Premium package
Harmon Kardon spks

Edit: Last minute change-- switched to Phytonic Blue!

Just placed the order--no build date yet. Was told 3-4 weeks.

Was going to go with different color seats/trim, but apparently black is the only one that allows for the ventilated seats when building online and I am totally over back sweat after 3 years of Sensatec. I'd go back to velour Recaros if I could.

As far as Drivers Assistance packages-- don't need 'em & don't want 'em. Is there anything worse than a backseat driver? Sure there is--the one that charges money to do it. The stuff that comes standard will do & I probably don't need that either. What I'm really against is giving any amount of control over to a car. Maybe I **want** to race that train or hit the guy on the bicycle Lol. Kidding, of course. Maybe I'm "old school," but why would anyone want to give their car the opportunity to make decisions for them? I'll take freedom over encouraged laziness labeled as "safety."

Last edited by 335idrive; 09-26-2019 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0018923.00
      09-25-2019, 09:07 AM   #1161
zeich83
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335idrive View Post
Haven't posted here in a while, but there's no better comeback than to be posting a new build order

2020 BMW X3 M40i

Dark Graphite Metallic
Black Vernasca Ventilated Seats
Carbon Fiber trim
Ambient Lighting
19" wheels (Philly roads)
Premium package
Harmon Kardon spks

Just placed the order--no build date yet. Was told 3-4 weeks.

Was going to go with different color seats/trim, but apparently black is the only one that allows for the ventilated seats when building online and I am totally over back sweat after 3 years of Sensatec. I'd go back to velour Recaros if I could.

As far as Drivers Assistance packages-- don't need 'em & don't want 'em. Is there anything worse than a backseat driver? Sure there is--the one that charges money to do it. The stuff that comes standard will do & I probably don't need that either. What I'm really against is giving any amount of control over to a car. Maybe I **want** to race that train or hit the guy on the bicycle Lol. Kidding, of course. Maybe I'm "old school," but why would anyone want to give their car the opportunity to make decisions for them? I'll take freedom over encouraged laziness labeled as "safety."
Feedback on the ventilated seats has been terrible. Make sure you test drive one with them. Their side bolsters are terrible and offer little support. m40 seats without ventilation have air inflatable side bolsters which can be adjusted.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 12:16 PM   #1162
Climb Mode
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Placed order on Sunday. Slept on it for a night and emailed the next day to change/add a few things.

- X3 M40i
- Carbon Black Metallic
- Cognac Vernasca Leather with contrast stitching (originally was black, emailed to change a day later)
- Carbon Fiber trim
- Driving Assistance Package
- 20" M wheel 699M w/perf rft (original was for 19", changed a day later)
- Acoustic glass (not on original, added a day later)
- Adaptive M Suspension
- Ambient Lighting
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Heated front seats

How'd I do???

Now on to trying to sell my winter wheel/tire set up from my F30 and decide on a set-up for the X3. Thinking 235/55-19's all around. Too narrow?

Past: MY2017 F30 340iXdrive 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 03:30 PM   #1163
335idrive
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeich83 View Post
Feedback on the ventilated seats has been terrible. Make sure you test drive one with them. Their side bolsters are terrible and offer little support. m40 seats without ventilation have air inflatable side bolsters which can be adjusted.
That's horrendous. BMW has had ventilated seats for years in other series--shouldn't it be perfected by now? I was just in a 2020 X3 M & an M840i and the ventilated seats felt amazing. I'll have to research now
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 10:37 AM   #1164
335idrive
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb Mode View Post
Placed order on Sunday. Slept on it for a night and emailed the next day to change/add a few things.

- Cognac Vernasca Leather with contrast stitching (originally was black, emailed to change a day later)
You sound like me. After reading many bad reviews of the ventilated seats I changed my order & went with the original seat color I wanted (vent seats only avail. limited colors), then ended up changing the exterior too.

What made you change your mind on the wheels? I went back & forth and ultimately chose the 19's. If they had the 698M in 20" I might've went for it, but I really wasn't a fan of the 699M, and the staggered setup with 40/45 tire-wall on a RFT just sounds like a bad idea for an SUV daily driver IMO. Hopefully 50's on a RFT will be stiff enough for decent cornering. Besides the comfort of the ride, I like being able to rotate tires and I can imagine I'll be doing a lot of that with 380+HP.

I also had the Adaptive M Suspension initially & decided against. Not sure if I trust a machine to make that decision for me & will probably set up my Sport Individual profile at comfort for the suspension so I can just switch back & forth between the Sport+ & Individual profiles
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 04:33 AM   #1165
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Thanks to @justchris who posted some amazing finance deals on the F30 forum, I've now placed an order for an X3 M40d.

It's in UK stock, so should receive it by the 7th of October, and at the same time I'm waiting for BMW finance to contact me to collect my outgoing 440i Gran Coupe.

List price was around £55k and got a pretty big £11.5k discount. I tried a few other dealers, but no one could get within £3.5k of the discount that Stratsones were offering.

I've had high powered diesels before, so whilst I'll miss the noise and characteristics of the 40i engine, I know I'll welcome back the low down shove and the fantastic launch control starts, which quite frankly weren't worth bothering with on the 440i!

Spec is:
Sophisto Grey
Black leather with blue stitching
M Sport Plus Package so it has:
Tinted rear windows
Harmon Kardon
M Sport Brakes
Adaptive Suspension
21" 718m wheels
Only other option it has is folding mirrors

I actually love the cerium grey parts, just need a way to keep them like knew, as saw an M50d that looked a mess. I read somewhere on here that Chemical Guys Jetseal does a good job of protecting them. Any other recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 11:40 PM   #1166
freshxdough
BMW Master Technician - HV Gen 5 and HV Specialist
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335idrive View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb Mode View Post

You sound like me. After reading many bad reviews of the ventilated seats I changed my order & went with the original seat color I wanted (vent seats only avail. limited colors), then ended up changing the exterior too.

What made you change your mind on the wheels? I went back & forth and ultimately chose the 19's. If they had the 698M in 20" I might've went for it, but I really wasn't a fan of the 699M, and the staggered setup with 40/45 tire-wall on a RFT just sounds like a bad idea for an SUV daily driver IMO. Hopefully 50's on a RFT will be stiff enough for decent cornering. Besides the comfort of the ride, I like being able to rotate tires and I can imagine I'll be doing a lot of that with 380+HP.

I also had the Adaptive M Suspension initially & decided against. Not sure if I trust a machine to make that decision for me & will probably set up my Sport Individual profile at comfort for the suspension so I can just switch back & forth between the Sport+ & Individual profiles
You do realize if you have adaptive suspension you can control the suspension setting.

Without adaptive suspension it is always stiff. No change ability
Appreciate 0