BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-19-2024, 08:31 AM   #1
madbeatz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Telematics Unit Replacement - UK

My 2018 X3 was unfortunately stolen this week via relay attack but was subsequently found by the police not longer after. The culprits removed the telematic unit before driving off and unfortunately when I picked up the vehicle, the unit was missing.

Any idea on cost to replace the unit (new) and refit in the UK?

Would the unit need to be replaced and programmed by the dealer or can this be done by and independent?

Is a second hand unit fitted an option and would dealers (or independent if they can) be able to reprogramme?

Appreciate any help.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 09:47 AM   #2
madbeatz
Private
Rep

After a few telephone calls, I have found the answer to some of the questions. Will share here for the benefit of others in same unfortunate predicament.

Any idea on cost to replace the unit (new) and refit in the UK? Update: approx £768 including VAT new. to fit, approximately £504 including VAT

Would the unit need to be replaced and programmed by the dealer or can this be done by and independent? Update: Dealer indicates the unit will need programming. not sure about independent

Is a second hand unit fitted an option and would dealers (or independent if they can) be able to reprogramme? - No update on this yet
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      04-19-2024, 04:02 PM   #3
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

Strange question… but is your insurance not sorting all this out?

I’d be bl**dy annoyed if I got my car back minus the TCU and my insurance said I needed to replace it.

J.
2007 - Vauxhall Corsa CDTi
2004 - Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 04:45 PM   #4
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

I mean - WTAF? Do you think it was stolen to order/harvest that piece? Sounds bloody odd to nick a car and it gets rumbled only shortly after - minus this piece.

Either way, the culprits should be hung, drawn and quartered. Yes, even in these PC days ...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 06:47 PM   #5
madbeatz
Private
Rep

fdpxfunix - Insurance might decide in their infinite wisdom to write off the car! In addition hike my future premiums to god knows what heights as I would become "at fault". might be better to weigh the cost of replacing the unit against the mark of a claim.

spangle1980 - I don't think so. I was fortunate. As they made their escape to whatever regions they were intending to go to, police clocked them and gave chase. The culprits decide to abandon the car. Unfortunately they escaped. before they started their journey, they ripped out the telematic unit and the front and rear BMW dashcam.
Appreciate 1
fdpxfunix188.00
      04-20-2024, 04:35 AM   #6
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbeatz View Post
fdpxfunix - Insurance might decide in their infinite wisdom to write off the car! In addition hike my future premiums to god knows what heights as I would become "at fault". might be better to weigh the cost of replacing the unit against the mark of a claim.
They get you either way, you are required to report it to the insurer even if you're not claiming on your insurance, and then they typically factor that in at your renewal/next quote. Plus there's usually the added pleasure of paying policy excess if you claim LOL.

I had a similar issue, but it was a non-fault indecent that increased my premium despite not claiming via my insurer.
Appreciate 1
fdpxfunix188.00
      04-20-2024, 09:15 AM   #7
madbeatz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
They get you either way, you are required to report it to the insurer even if you're not claiming on your insurance, and then they typically factor that in at your renewal/next quote. Plus there's usually the added pleasure of paying policy excess if you claim LOL.

I had a similar issue, but it was a non-fault indecent that increased my premium despite not claiming via my insurer.
avi66 Non Fault and they still increased your premium! that is brutal!

I did report it (better to be safe than a reason to cancel my policy). It currently held as informational. Will check next week if it will impact my premium despite not claiming.

Incidentally, This morning, I found the old telematics unit on a nearby street this morning lay by the sidewalk. Unfortunately the connecters were damaged and the unit seemed to have been run over
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 09:23 AM   #8
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbeatz View Post
avi66 Non Fault and they still increased your premium! that is brutal!

I did report it (better to be safe than a reason to cancel my policy). It currently held as informational. Will check next week if it will impact my premium despite not claiming.

Incidentally, This morning, I found the old telematics unit on a nearby street this morning lay by the sidewalk. Unfortunately the connecters were damaged and the unit seemed to have been run over
That's a bummer.

On the non fault information, the insurer classes you as unlucky, and therefore an "unlucky" person is a higher risk LOL.
Appreciate 0