BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-20-2021, 05:44 PM   #67
GreatAvalon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Car looks great, but those fronts look darker than 30%, but always hard to tell from photos.

I've near 15% on fronts on my F25 X3, prior owner had car tinted. I'm about ready to remove, it's almost unsafe for night driving.

I'm thinking 30 fronts, 70 over rear privacy glass...

What did you pay for tint job?
Thanks/Bill
Haha, yea it's hard to tell with photos with the sun angles and all that.

Tint job ran me $325 for the front windows and pano roof and $369 for all the rear privacy glass. I did it at two separate times...I hadn't added it up...man, tint isn't cheap!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 05:52 PM   #68
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatAvalon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Car looks great, but those fronts look darker than 30%, but always hard to tell from photos.

I've near 15% on fronts on my F25 X3, prior owner had car tinted. I'm about ready to remove, it's almost unsafe for night driving.

I'm thinking 30 fronts, 70 over rear privacy glass...

What did you pay for tint job?
Thanks/Bill
Haha, yea it's hard to tell with photos with the sun angles and all that.

Tint job ran me $325 for the front windows and pano roof and $369 for all the rear privacy glass. I did it at two separate times...I hadn't added it up...man, tint isn't cheap!
Thanks, not cheap but looks like you paid the going rate. Nice car!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 08:10 AM   #69
soledoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Here's mine. Did 20% on front and he added 40% on the backs over the factory tint
Attached Images

'07 530xiT (son's)
Appreciate 3
Elo2317.50
Paavju116.50
Keefy1610.50
      02-01-2022, 02:55 PM   #70
Fastlane801
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commerce View Post
Your dealer is probably referring to the factory tint. I went with a 50% on the front and a 20% film on the rear which brought it down to 9%. I always go with a ceramic film which really helps keep the heat out of the car.

Edit: The front windows are also factory tinted to 70% it's noted on the class in the corner by the exterior door handle.
I love how your car looks! I also have a BSM and plan to get my windows tinted this weekend. My tint guy says that putting 35% film on my back windows will result in around 10% VLT, and if I did 20% film it would be around 5%. That’s different from what you indicated above, so I’m curious if the 9% is an estimate or…?

I’m trying to decide between 35% and 20% film in the rear side windows. Thanks in advance!
      07-11-2022, 12:39 PM   #71
kmac03
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Reviving an old thread.

Buying my first X3 now and super pumped, but a little confused on the tinting process. I would like to go with Ceramic Tint, and the dealership is offering to do that (for a fee.) However, I can't tell what % to go with.

I know the back windows and rear come with some tint. Colorado laws are "must allow more than 27% of light in), so how would I go about getting to that number specifically?

Is it easier to just go with a 3rd party tint?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 12:46 PM   #72
JDsX3
Photojournalist, Tech & Product Analyst
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, i4, Corvette Stingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac03 View Post
Reviving an old thread.

Buying my first X3 now and super pumped, but a little confused on the tinting process. I would like to go with Ceramic Tint, and the dealership is offering to do that (for a fee.) However, I can't tell what % to go with.

I know the back windows and rear come with some tint. Colorado laws are "must allow more than 27% of light in), so how would I go about getting to that number specifically?

Is it easier to just go with a 3rd party tint?
The dealership (or an independent window tinting shop) should be able to tell you specifically what your options are to comply with the Colorado tint related laws.
Current:2024 i4 Mineral White Metallic with Blue Exterior Accents, Canberra Beige Perforated SensaTec, Premium Package, Driving Assistance Pro Package, Drive Recorder. 2019 X3 Mineral White Metallic, Caberra Beige interior with most options. Corvette Stingray Arctic White w red interior.
Past:2002 Z3, Corvette Stingray and about 40 other cars
Appreciate 1
Wgosma807.50
      07-15-2022, 08:16 AM   #73
tortega
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCOLON View Post
XPEL Prime XR Plus 30% front windows, 70% all around, including windshield and sunroof. As noted above, the factory tint is just for privacy, no heat rejection; their nano-ceramic technology does not interfere with radio, cellular, and Bluetooth signals.
Nice! Do you have any more photos? I’m getting this exact brand / setup done to mine, only difference being I may go 55% for the sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 08:30 AM   #74
kmac03
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsX3 View Post
The dealership (or an independent window tinting shop) should be able to tell you specifically what your options are to comply with the Colorado tint related laws.
Seeing a ton of rear tints being close to 20% from this thread - is that common? Our limit is 30%, so wondering if it is location dependent?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 09:49 AM   #75
Keefy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by soledoc View Post
Here's mine. Did 20% on front and he added 40% on the backs over the factory tint
Apologies for going off topic but what size of wheels and tires are those?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 01:19 PM   #76
roughdraft
Rep
Drives: '20 XDrive, 1M VO

For anyone that has done the windshield tint (70-90%), any known issues with the HUD?
Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      07-15-2022, 07:21 PM   #77
X3ontheRox
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Quote:
Seeing a ton of rear tints being close to 20% from this thread - is that common? Our limit is 30%, so wondering if it is location dependent?
After lurking for more than a year, I finally created an account just to reply to your post. I used Denver Auto Shield to install my window tint, PPF, and ceramic coating. If you are still shopping around for an installer, I highly recommend them. They were significantly cheaper than the dealership, and they offered more services than the dealer.

With regard to the 27% limit in Colorado...no comment.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 07:22 PM   #78
X3ontheRox
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughdraft View Post
For anyone that has done the windshield tint (70-90%), any known issues with the HUD?
I have 70% on my windshield, and I have not had any issues with the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 07:29 PM   #79
kmac03
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3ontheRox View Post
After lurking for more than a year, I finally created an account just to reply to your post. I used Denver Auto Shield to install my window tint, PPF, and ceramic coating. If you are still shopping around for an installer, I highly recommend them. They were significantly cheaper than the dealership, and they offered more services than the dealer.

With regard to the 27% limit in Colorado...no comment.
Ahaha love that! I’ll use them for the ceramic coat, but the dealer is adding the ceramic tint for free so feel like I should go that route.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 08:48 PM   #80
JDsX3
Photojournalist, Tech & Product Analyst
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, i4, Corvette Stingray

Quote:
States have different tint restrictions, so responses here that differ are probably from members in different states (and/or by some who may ignore the legal limit).
Current:2024 i4 Mineral White Metallic with Blue Exterior Accents, Canberra Beige Perforated SensaTec, Premium Package, Driving Assistance Pro Package, Drive Recorder. 2019 X3 Mineral White Metallic, Caberra Beige interior with most options. Corvette Stingray Arctic White w red interior.
Past:2002 Z3, Corvette Stingray and about 40 other cars
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 03:06 PM   #81
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
I did 70% and have had no issues. That being said, I would not do it again. Ceramic tinting all the other windows and the sunroof rejects more than enough heat, the windshield isn't that big a deal if you do the rest. The tint also adds a barely perceptible decrease in clarity. This is what I don't like. 99% of the time I don't notice it, but it's that 1% that gets you.
Appreciate 1
TXGrey1287.00
      07-16-2022, 03:48 PM   #82
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias1431 View Post
Quote:
I did 70% and have had no issues. That being said, I would not do it again. Ceramic tinting all the other windows and the sunroof rejects more than enough heat, the windshield isn't that big a deal if you do the rest. The tint also adds a barely perceptible decrease in clarity. This is what I don't like. 99% of the time I don't notice it, but it's that 1% that gets you.
YES!!!!!! ^^^^THIS!!!!

JUST had mine done last weekend… and after a few days was finally like, "what the heck is going here?!…." Researched for HOURS figuring it out. Sometimes, not all the time, the grain in the film is at such angle on the front window, that it distorts in the "heat wave" or "orange peel" effect. But my God, it is SO slight that at times you swear it's just your mind playing tricks on you. In the end though, it IS a possible side-effect that can happen on windshield installs. The only option is to rip it out and try another film… Mine is 3M Crystalline; could prob try Huper Optik instead. Or, obviously, just don't do it. This was our second attempt (first time was my wife's LR at a completely different tint place, which they couldn't get cleanly installed, so i ended up ripping it off)… and it will be the last. It's just not worth it IMO (and this coming from someone who is sitting in one of the hottest summers on record here). Now admittedly, it's easy for me to say since my car is 100% garaged at home, and 90% of the time it's in a parking garage at work too… so my car doesn't sit in the sun that much.

Having said all that, I'm betting that I'll get more used to it (i kind of already have a little)…. So for now, I'm going to leave it. Heck, I could get busted next year at inspection and have to take it off anyhow… or take a rock at highway speeds and crack my window, then need a new window. My wife's LR has the heated glass with these little zig-zags throughout the entire glass… annoys the crap out of me half the time. But you do get used to it.

It just stinks because I'm very peculiar about the "little things" when it comes to my cars… and as mentioned, it is such a tiny fragment of distortion, your brain literally tells you everything is fine…. But your eyes glitch for a tenth of a second and say "NO IT'S NOT!"… crazy.

Post Edit: For those curious, this is an installer who's been in business for 30+ years. The install was flawless. Unfortunately- it just happens sometimes with certain films on certain windows. I didn't even talk about it yet with him; I did enough digging around on the internet to figure out what the deal was. I would bet 97% of the driving population wouldn't even see the distortion I'm talking about here… it's that slight.
Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      07-17-2022, 09:28 AM   #83
Score04
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘23 BMW X3 M40i

Sorry as I’m trying to make sense of this thread with tints. I apologize for any dumb or repeated questions.
1) what is the factory tint on back side doors and rear hatch glass?
2) what is the stock tint on front driver and passenger window?
3) what is the tint on pano roof?
4) what tint is safe to put on front driver and passenger window to not have issues with any dimming of infotainment and garage cluster? people mention also using ceramic tint? (Will google but would love an opinion on this here)
5) can a uv clear tint be put on over the factory tint in rear side windows and rear hatch glass?
6) do most people tint there pano roof or just put a clear tint that blocks uv?

Again, there have been many stories and opinions mentioned and trying to figure out best route to go with when my car arrives in the fall. I’m looking to match the front doors to rear doors tint. I’m also trying to see if if I can get a clear uv tint put on over the stock tints in rear or do they have to remove stock tint. Also, want to make sure infotainment and Faust’s fluster have no dimming issues. Finally, I’m considering something for the pano roof either just putting uv clear tint or putting something a tad darker.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 09:59 AM   #84
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I drive an F25, white car w/Black leather interior. I live in N. Nevada, high desert just East of Lake Tahoe….4 season climate- tons of sunshine and summer temps in 90's for 3 months.

Car has factory privacy glass on rear side and back windows (no sunroof on the car).

Bought car from original owner, he had aftermarket tint on all glass except windshield- it was too dark, borderline unsafe for night driving.

I wanted better night visibility along with the same tint density on all windows- best cosmetic look IMO. Stripped all aftermarket tint and had shop tint only front driver/passenger side windows, perfect match at 30% ceramic to cars factory privacy glass. Car looks nice, and glare and heat reduction is quite good. Again, I live where sunshine is abundant in summer and temps consistently low/mid 90's.

1st pic- aftermarket tint all-around (not windshield)
2nd pic - factory privacy glass and 30% ceramic tint front driver/passenger window only.

Food for thought- good luck/Bill
Attached Images

Last edited by Wgosma; 07-17-2022 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2022, 04:10 PM   #85
mrdudley
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Score04 View Post
Sorry as I'm trying to make sense of this thread with tints. I apologize for any dumb or repeated questions.
1) what is the factory tint on back side doors and rear hatch glass?
2) what is the stock tint on front driver and passenger window?
3) what is the tint on pano roof?
4) what tint is safe to put on front driver and passenger window to not have issues with any dimming of infotainment and garage cluster? people mention also using ceramic tint? (Will google but would love an opinion on this here)
5) can a uv clear tint be put on over the factory tint in rear side windows and rear hatch glass?
6) do most people tint there pano roof or just put a clear tint that blocks uv?

Again, there have been many stories and opinions mentioned and trying to figure out best route to go with when my car arrives in the fall. I'm looking to match the front doors to rear doors tint. I'm also trying to see if if I can get a clear uv tint put on over the stock tints in rear or do they have to remove stock tint. Also, want to make sure infotainment and Faust's fluster have no dimming issues. Finally, I'm considering something for the pano roof either just putting uv clear tint or putting something a tad darker.

Thank you!
1) ~20%
2) 70% (it's on the glass)
3) no idea

Keep in mind for all the stock tint, it is dye in the glass, so it's not meant to block UV or heat, and you can't remove it.

4) There are pages and pages of threads on here where people report all sorts of tint levels with issues or without issues. So YMMV. Assume anything dark in appearance will cause some dimming. If you match the back, you will for sure have dimming because you'd have to go with 25-30% on the front (on top of the 70%) if you don't put any other tint on the rear, and even darker than that if you do put film on the rear.

5) you can do clear on the rears (although most "clear" is 80-90%) and it would block UV and heat. I think you'll find most people here go pretty dark on top of factory. I'm doing 70% ceramic on the back for ~15% total. Again though, if the fronts matched that, you'd have dimming. Also I find 15% to be too dark at night on the fronts.

6) Most people who put film on the sunroof go with some level of tint, and there seems to be 2 distinct camps. Dark (20% or lower) or not so dark (~50%). I'm in the not so dark camp because I can just close the sunroof shade.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 12:42 AM   #86
Score04
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘23 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdudley View Post
1) ~20%
2) 70% (it's on the glass)
3) no idea

Keep in mind for all the stock tint, it is dye in the glass, so it's not meant to block UV or heat, and you can't remove it.

4) There are pages and pages of threads on here where people report all sorts of tint levels with issues or without issues. So YMMV. Assume anything dark in appearance will cause some dimming. If you match the back, you will for sure have dimming because you'd have to go with 25-30% on the front (on top of the 70%) if you don't put any other tint on the rear, and even darker than that if you do put film on the rear.

5) you can do clear on the rears (although most "clear" is 80-90%) and it would block UV and heat. I think you'll find most people here go pretty dark on top of factory. I'm doing 70% ceramic on the back for ~15% total. Again though, if the fronts matched that, you'd have dimming. Also I find 15% to be too dark at night on the fronts.

6) Most people who put film on the sunroof go with some level of tint, and there seems to be 2 distinct camps. Dark (20% or lower) or not so dark (~50%). I'm in the not so dark camp because I can just close the sunroof shade.

4) What is YMMV? I’m not tinting the front glass at all. I’m wanting to match darkness of front driver and passenger side windows to rest of car. I’ll also put uv over the rear windows for uv protection. I’m fine with the stock tint color.

Yeah there may be pages and pages of threads in here but was hoping for an exact input response.

I’m with you in the pano roof. Maybe put a 50% tint or just uv if I’m fine w the current pano tint. Don’t have the car until mid September.

How many different kinds of tints are there? I hear about ceramic.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 12:54 AM   #87
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Score04 View Post
4) What is YMMV?
Your mileage may vary.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 07:47 AM   #88
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Tint types:
- dyed film (lowest grade, good glare reduction/minimal heat rejection)
- ceramic ( most popular- good heat rejection)
- metallized (good heat rejection; potential interference with electronics, radio wave signals)
Appreciate 1
mrdudley356.50