BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #1
BOSSBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

MSport Conversion - Rear

Howdy,

Judging by the lack of resources out on the Internet, I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm the only one crazy enough to have attempted this.

I really wanted the quad exhaust look on my X3 and didn't want to cut into my OEM bumper. Fortunately I found a cool guy on this forum (@LalV eVo) who had an Msport diffuser already cut for quads along with the muffler itself, so I took the plunge over to MA and picked it up!

That all said and done, I hopped over to eBay and purchased an Msport bumper cover with minimal damage. Brought it over to my local body shop and set foot on my adventure.

Now, removing the rear bumper is not rocket science. I had picked up a Nylon pry tool set from Harbor Freight some days prior, and it proved priceless.

I'm not going to make this into a DIY because there are already some bumper removal guides out there. I used one from an F25 Execuhitch Install.

Here's some pics:

These things are a B*TCH!!!!! I could not remove them with the center punch as the DIY stated, so I drilled them out instead. They are single use clips, can be obtained from your local dealer at around $0.82/pc.

Bumper off, PDC sensors switched over to new bumper, beer time.

Checking out fitment before bolting stuff back on, and Houston, we have a problem:

So that's a bummer, huh. The wheel arch trim piece on the M package seems longer than the Standard version. GEE THANKS BMW. Here's where it gets interesting. I'd buy the wheel arches, but then I'd have to get the side skirts. If I got the side skirts, I'd have to get the front wheel arches. If I got the front wheel arches, I'd have to buy the front bumper too.

That escalated quickly. But I'm not giving up. I am going to "BUILD" a plastic trim piece that will fill in this gap. I have no idea how it's going to turn out, but I have hope. I will keep you all updated on that. If it works out well, I'm going to produce a mold that I can create parts from and sell to you guys if you choose to do the same conversion.

In the meantime, here is a Space Gray, Pre-LCI BMW X3 with Msport rear and quad exhaust (tow hook covers coming soon .

Would love your feed back! Thanks!!

EDIT: I just noticed a gap under the tailgate. Will investigate

Last edited by BOSSBMW; 02-26-2016 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
scostu1619.50
      02-26-2016, 11:12 AM   #2
drewxnyc
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneliezer View Post
Howdy,

Judging by the lack of resources out on the Internet, I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm the only one crazy enough to have attempted this.

I really wanted the quad exhaust look on my X3 and didn't want to cut into my OEM bumper. Fortunately I found a cool guy on this forum (@LalV eVo) who had an Msport diffuser already cut for quads along with the muffler itself, so I took the plunge over to MA and picked it up!

That all said and done, I hopped over to eBay and purchased an Msport bumper cover with minimal damage. Brought it over to my local body shop and set foot on my adventure.

Now, removing the rear bumper is not rocket science. I had picked up a Nylon pry tool set from Harbor Freight some days prior, and it proved priceless.

I'm not going to make this into a DIY because there are already some bumper removal guides out there. I used one from an F25 Execuhitch Install.

Here's some pics:

These things are a B*TCH!!!!! I could not remove them with the center punch as the DIY stated, so I drilled them out instead. They are single use clips, can be obtained from your local dealer at around $0.82/pc.

Checking out fitment before bolting stuff back on, and Houston, we have a problem:

So that's a bummer, huh. The wheel arch trim piece on the M package seems longer than the Standard version. GEE THANKS BMW. Here's where it gets interesting. I'd buy the wheel arches, but then I'd have to get the side skirts. If I got the side skirts, I'd have to get the front wheel arches. If I got the front wheel arches, I'd have to buy the front bumper too.

That escalated quickly. But I'm not giving up. I am going to "BUILD" a plastic trim piece that will fill in this gap. I have no idea how it's going to turn out, but I have hope. I will keep you all updated on that. If it works out well, I'm going to produce a mold that I can create parts from and sell to you guys if you choose to do the same conversion.

In the meantime, here is a Space Gray, Pre-LCI BMW X3 with Msport rear and quad exhaust (tow hook covers coming soon .

nice work man! I want this quad exhaust look as well (I did see his post selling this as well but didn't jump on it), Nice work so far, definitely keep us posted on the rest of the minor fixes you got left.
How does the exhaust sound?
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2016, 11:24 AM   #3
BOSSBMW
Captain
Rep

It sounds really good. Not nearly as loud as I had expected. There is a slight drone at highway speeds, but I can take it. I'll take a clips of some revs at some point...
      02-26-2016, 12:27 PM   #4
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Yeah, well done! Looks great. And I like the tinted tail lights. I've bought some film but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Have been debating whether to cover the whole taillight assembly, or leave the clear strips un-tinted like you've done...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Yea, it's a a lot of pieces. Tischer sells a M sport package upgrade and in their description they list bumpers, diffuser, wheel arches, side skirts among some other things.
      02-28-2016, 02:07 PM   #6
BOSSBMW
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Yeah, well done! Looks great. And I like the tinted tail lights. I've bought some film but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Have been debating whether to cover the whole taillight assembly, or leave the clear strips un-tinted like you've done...
To achieve the cut out reverse lights you first cover the whole lens, then cut out the reverse section. It helps to actually have a buddy in the car to put it into reverse so you can see the lines clearly.
      03-15-2016, 12:29 PM   #7
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
To achieve the cut out reverse lights you first cover the whole lens, then cut out the reverse section. It helps to actually have a buddy in the car to put it into reverse so you can see the lines clearly.
Hey, I did mine as well now. I'm thinking of leaving the clear strips tinted for now, and see how it goes. I've got LED reverse lights at least, which are way brighter than stock, so the visibility is not compromised much when backing up.

Just wondering, I see you did your roof with vinyl black. I'm toying with doing it as well, as I'm guessing it will be a hell of a lot easier than the tails, which were a PITA with all the compound curves on the lenses. How was it?

Did you buy one giant piece of black vinyl also, and cut out the center for the sunroof? It seems like such a waste... But I don't see it any other way, unless I want a seam on the sides of the sunroof (with one big piece in front and one behind).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 12:39 PM   #8
BOSSBMW
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Hey, I did mine as well now. I'm thinking of leaving the clear strips tinted for now, and see how it goes. I've got LED reverse lights at least, which are way brighter than stock, so the visibility is not compromised much when backing up.

Just wondering, I see you did your roof with vinyl black. I'm toying with doing it as well, as I'm guessing it will be a hell of a lot easier than the tails, which were a PITA with all the compound curves on the lenses. How was it?

Did you buy one giant piece of black vinyl also, and cut out the center for the sunroof? It seems like such a waste... But I don't see it any other way, unless I want a seam on the sides of the sunroof (with one big piece in front and one behind).
Hey, the roof on the X3 has not been wrapped, you must be looking at the stats of my last car (E90).

This is typically done with one giant piece of vinyl, and yes there is some waste. If you take your time with a heat gun its really not a big problem at all.
      03-15-2016, 01:24 PM   #9
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hey, the roof on the X3 has not been wrapped, you must be looking at the stats of my last car (E90).

This is typically done with one giant piece of vinyl, and yes there is some waste. If you take your time with a heat gun its really not a big problem at all.
Oh yeah, I see that's the sig from your E90. Thanks. I'll look into it.

You better update your sig for your X3 though. What exhaust did you put on, by the way? You didn't mention it in the first post.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 04:29 PM   #10
BIMMERX3
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSBMW View Post
Howdy,

Here's some pics:

VERY NICE! Im on the same project right now! how did you solve the wheel arch problem? Any tips and do you have pictures of the final result?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 04:41 PM   #11
BIMMERX3
Rep

Quote:
Howdy,

Here's some pics:

VERY NICE! Im on the same project right now! how did you solve the wheel arch problem? Any tips and do you have pictures of the final result?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 06:05 PM   #12
BIG_KID
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Nice !,
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 07:25 AM   #13
BOSSBMW
Captain
Rep

Hello,

The solution to the wheel arches was rather complicated.

I had a set of "wheel arch plugs" designed and 3D printed of ABS plastic, which I then fastened to the bumper using the original wheel arch mounting holes. They are one of a kind and I do hold the original 3D print file for them.

I have since completed the conversion (mostly), consisting of the front bumper, front wheel arches, and side skirts. The only parts remaining are the lower door trim.

If you are interested in the "wheel arch plugs" send me a PM and perhaps we can work something out.

Pics found
View post on imgur.com
      01-23-2018, 08:05 AM   #14
BIMMERX3
Rep

Quote:
Hello,

I had a set of "wheel arch plugs" designed and 3D printed of ABS plastic, which I then fastened to the bumper using the original wheel arch mounting holes. They are one of a kind and I do hold the original 3D print file for them.

I have since completed the conversion (mostly), consisting of the front bumper, front wheel arches, and side skirts. The only parts remaining are the lower door trim.

If you are interested in the "wheel arch plugs" send me a PM and perhaps we can work something out.

Pics found
View post on imgur.com
Looks awesome!

Ive just ordered the same package as you have. Did you buy the m-sport foglight holders as well or did you use the original ones. Any more issues that you faced during the project? With fitting bumpers and so on?

/r
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 10:53 AM   #15
x3sm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 Porsche

Quote:
Hello,

Pics found
View post on imgur.com
Looks awesome! Do you mind posting more picture of the finished look? I really like what you have done.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 05:05 AM   #16
ornithology
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3D

Would someone chime in and let me know if the pre-lci and the lci M-sport rear bumpers and side skirts are the same? Was it only the front that was changed? Trying to convert my LCI to an M-sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 05:11 AM   #17
BOSSBMW
Captain
Rep

im rather sure they are not, but a check on realoem.com to see if the part numbers are the same would tell you for sure.
      12-14-2018, 05:13 AM   #18
ornithology
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3D

Quote:
im rather sure they are not, but a check on realoem.com to see if the part numbers are the same would tell you for sure.
Thank you! Would you happen to know if the eBay M-sport bumpers are any good fitment and quality wise?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 06:38 AM   #19
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ornithology View Post
Thank you! Would you happen to know if the eBay M-sport bumpers are any good fitment and quality wise?
They're trash. By OEM.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 08:25 AM   #20
x3sm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 Porsche

Quote:
Would someone chime in and let me know if the pre-lci and the lci M-sport rear bumpers and side skirts are the same? Was it only the front that was changed? Trying to convert my LCI to an M-sport.
M-sport pre-lci and lic rear bumper, diffuser, side skirts, and all fender flares are the same. The only difference is front bumper. I have done the conversion with OEM parts, check my thread.

Quote:
I pieced the whole kit separately using OEM parts instead of buying a full aftermarket kit and I'm happy I did that because everything was a perfect fit and it was cheaper. It took a lot more time to find everything necessary though.
AUDI S4: SOLD
BMW E92 335: SOLD
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2022, 04:30 AM   #21
George26Grini
George26Grini
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 2016

wheel arch plugs

hello,
i am also trying to do an m sport conversion on an x3 f25 lci
can i get the custom 3d file of the wheel arch plugs?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 10:32 AM   #22
BOSSBMW
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by George26Grini View Post
hello,
i am also trying to do an m sport conversion on an x3 f25 lci
can i get the custom 3d file of the wheel arch plugs?
I have attached the STL files for anyone who might stumble across this in the future.

I also still have the plugs from my old car... If anyone wants them, they're yours.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nda...ew?usp=sharing