BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-08-2022, 01:53 PM   #1
Ranger8
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, R1250GSA, R 1250RT

Plugged Sunroof Drains Water Damage - Amp destroyed

It's been a while since I last posted because my 2018 X3 M 40i has accumulated 84K miles without any major issues.

Approx. three weeks ago, while traveling, the audio functions on the vehicle seized to work. I took the vehicle to Hilton Head BMW, SC. Although not one of their customers they took prompt action on Friday afternoon to find the cause. Kudos! Nice folks.
In the process they noted that a significant amount of water had accumulated in the plastic bins in the back of each of the rear wheel wells. Apparently the water gushed up and damaged the Amp. They suspected clogged sun roof drains or a leak around the roof mounted antenna as the culprit. Nothing that could be fixed on the spot. Upon confirming that the vehicle was otherwise operational I moved on.
Made an appointment with another BMW dealership in NC that has performed regular service work on the vehicle in the past and is closer to my work base.
The vehicle has been with this dealer for over a week. Water tests confirmed that the sun roof drains were indeed clogged as significantly more water was released during the clean up. Dealer provided video.
According to service advisor, the main culprits were the drains to the rear of the sunroof. To get them cleaned the headliner has to be removed and re-installed at a cost of $1,026.00!!!!
That would seem to be an insane design flaw, - if the facts bear this out. How is an owner to know when and how to perform the cleaning of those drain lines? Otherwise this will most likely be an ongoing issue.

Apparently BMW does not have any spare replacement Amps and no ETA in sight. I need my car for work and hand's free communication is essential. Initially ready to replace this vehicle with another one, same Model, same built, I am now at a complete loss. Definitely do want to deal with something like this again.

Has anyone else in this forum experienced something like this, or similar to this, and how was it resolved?

Thank's in advance for any meaningful feedback and advice.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 02:34 PM   #2
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger8 View Post
It's been a while since I last posted because my 2018 X3 M 40i has accumulated 84K miles without any major issues.

Approx. three weeks ago, while traveling, the audio functions on the vehicle seized to work. I took the vehicle to Hilton Head BMW, SC. Although not one of their customers they took prompt action on Friday afternoon to find the cause. Kudos! Nice folks.
In the process they noted that a significant amount of water had accumulated in the plastic bins in the back of each of the rear wheel wells. Apparently the water gushed up and damaged the Amp. They suspected clogged sun roof drains or a leak around the roof mounted antenna as the culprit. Nothing that could be fixed on the spot. Upon confirming that the vehicle was otherwise operational I moved on.
Made an appointment with another BMW dealership in NC that has performed regular service work on the vehicle in the past and is closer to my work base.
The vehicle has been with this dealer for over a week. Water tests confirmed that the sun roof drains were indeed clogged as significantly more water was released during the clean up. Dealer provided video.
According to service advisor, the main culprits were the drains to the rear of the sunroof. To get them cleaned the headliner has to be removed and re-installed at a cost of $1,026.00!!!!
That would seem to be an insane design flaw, - if the facts bear this out. How is an owner to know when and how to perform the cleaning of those drain lines? Otherwise this will most likely be an ongoing issue.

Apparently BMW does not have any spare [...]
Yeah its a common issue. Especially for ones parked outside and under trees etc. I believe it says something it in the owners manual about the drains but I've never looked. I've yet to clean mine, not even sure what to do tbh.
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 04:54 PM   #3
Ranger8
Private
Rep

maintenance Could not find, this initial post. Hopefully this thread can be consolidated into one. Please!

The vehicle was purchased new and is garaged at night or when not in use.
The front drain lines are more accessible. Maintenance with an air hose? Assuming one has an air compressor.
Removing and re-installing the interior roof lining to clear the rear sunroof drain lines will most likely exceeds the skill set of most owners.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 07:44 PM   #4
littleob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e36ic, 2013 x3

I spent 10 USD to clean my drains. I went to HarborFreight and picked up there smallest plumbing snake. It's small enough to fit and long enough for the longest drain tube. It takes all of 10 minutes to do. The rear drains are on eather side of the hatch hinges. The front are in each corner of the moon roof Chanel. I found out about this from my BMW dealers service manager. Go figure 🤔
Appreciate 1
dtox9336.00
      08-10-2022, 08:18 PM   #5
Ranger8
Private
Rep

Thank you. That is valuable information. The dealer claims that the roofliner needed to be removed to clean the rear drains. 5 1/2 hours of labor $1,026.00 Go figure.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 06:53 PM   #6
littleob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e36ic, 2013 x3

That's what BMW CORP tells the dealers. Over the 30+ years I have been driving a BMW I have built a very good relationship with all of the departments in the dealership. I never pay full price in parts. When I got my x3 a couple of years ago (104 k miles)they did complete brake job Inc rotors, and calibers. 4 new run flats. Shocks and struts. After that, they put in an out of the crate n20 motor. I paid under 14k. I believe in making good relationships with people that I deal with I suggest everyone try it. Been working for me when I am pleasant with folks. The easy going customer, In my opinion all ways is treated with respect. 15 years ago I became 100% disabled. I have a 99 e36 convertible. Went in for a sticker. The kid doing it told the sales Mgr I had only driven it 1890 miles in the last year and 6 months later I am In a new but NOT (that's for the ball buster P) x3. I could not say enough for South Shore BMW in Rockland MA USA
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 07:51 AM   #7
Ranger8
Private
Rep

Just like any other business and regardless of brand, dealerships have different cultures. It's largely a reflection of management. Some are great and some are just plain awful. The vast majority operates somewhere in between those two extremes. Being respectful is a matter of common sense and courtesy. Whereas being a ball buster at the car dealership is just as foolish as mistreating the person handling your food. Plain common sense and it should be applied in both directions. Asking pertinent questions is not offensive.
Regardless, all I am looking for is to have my car repaired at a reasonable cost and returned to me and an answer as to wether or not the roof liner needs to be removed in order to fix the rear sunroof drains.
Appreciate 0