BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-14-2019, 04:05 PM   #1
julianohayon
2019 X3
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 (G01)

X3 Automatic Braking Malfunction

Hey Guys,
Been driving my x3 for a little over a month now and randomly at time, when I'm backing out of something in reverse, the car will intervene and slam on the brakes. Both times this happened, there was nothing around me!! Scared the daylights out of me.
Anyone else dealing with this?

Also, I don't even have driving assistance package, so I'm not sure why it's braking for me!
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2019, 04:16 PM   #2
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

Emergency braking isn't part of the driver assist packages and comes as part of active guard on all BMWs these days.

Mine has done this a couple of times. It's really violent when it happens like you actually hit something. I put it down to my drive having a slight incline when i reverse up it but maybe the system is slightly to sensitive.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 08:57 PM   #3
Redman67
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Soon to be X3 M40i

It’s happened to me once or twice backing out of my driveway. Nothing was coming and it happened as I was backing down the apron of my driveway. There was no reason for it but it was jarring when it happened like I’d hit something.

Disconcerting but as long as it doesn’t happen often or at speed, I think I’ll just keep an eye on it to see if warrants pursuing.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 08:59 PM   #4
julianohayon
2019 X3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandle View Post
Emergency braking isn't part of the driver assist packages and comes as part of active guard on all BMWs these days.

Mine has done this a couple of times. It's really violent when it happens like you actually hit something. I put it down to my drive having a slight incline when i reverse up it but maybe the system is slightly to sensitive.
Quote:

Glad to see I'm not the only one deal with it!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 09:07 PM   #5
julianohayon
2019 X3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redman67 View Post
It’s happened to me once or twice backing out of my driveway. Nothing was coming and it happened as I was backing down the apron of my driveway. There was no reason for it but it was jarring when it happened like I’d hit something.

Disconcerting but as long as it doesn’t happen often or at speed, I think I’ll just keep an eye on it to see if warrants pursuing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redman67 View Post
It's happened to me once or twice backing out of my driveway. Nothing was coming and it happened as I was backing down the apron of my driveway. There was no reason for it but it was jarring when it happened like I'd hit something.

Disconcerting but as long as it doesn't happen often or at speed, I think I'll just keep an eye on it to see if warrants pursuing.
Thanks for the response. Crazy scary.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 02:34 AM   #6
Lolpop89
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianohayon View Post
Hey Guys,
Been driving my x3 for a little over a month now and randomly at time, when I'm backing out of something in reverse, the car will intervene and slam on the brakes. Both times this happened, there was nothing around me!! Scared the daylights out of me.

Also, I don't even have driving assistance package, so I'm not sure why it's braking for me!
I was wondering if you reported this to the dealership or sent it back to be looked at.hope you don't mind me asking just I'm having major problems with this at the moment and at my wits end
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 02:41 AM   #7
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep

Mine does this as well reversing up my drive if I have the four of us in the car. Doesn't do it when I am on my own. You would have thought that they would have ironed this out well before production.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 02:52 AM   #8
Lolpop89
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Mine does this as well reversing up my drive if I have the four of us in the car. Doesn't do it when I am on my own. You would have thought that they would have ironed this out well before production.
Have you reported it to BMW at all if you don't mind me asking
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 03:03 AM   #9
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep

No I haven't.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 06:05 AM   #10
phytonic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive30i

On my 2020, you can disable brake intervention in the PDC settings (or some other setting). I had my dealer genius program a radio button to take me there as I hate it braking for me when I'm backing up.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 07:52 AM   #11
julianohayon
2019 X3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolpop89 View Post
Quote:
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if you reported this to the dealership or sent it back to be looked at.hope you don't mind me asking just I'm having major problems with this at the moment and at my wits end
I did report it. They showed me the setting to turn it off. Not the best solution as I now lose that safety feature but I turned it off because it was driving me nuts.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 04:40 AM   #12
huggy509
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40d

Quote:
Hey Guys,

I had this happen to me only once so far, coldest day of the year when ice was causing reversing sensor to go off
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 05:10 AM   #13
X3M40iHODGY
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

It's stopped me driving into something twice so I am living with it.
Appreciate 0