BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #1
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

Random Boot/Trunk Opening

Someone came up to my office today to ask me whether I knew the boot (trunk) was open on my X3. I said no, and they told me it was open for at least a couple of hours as they saw it on their way out and assumed I was nearby then saw it again on their way back in. This is in a public parking lot

It is of course possible the key got accidentally pressed in my pocket but highly unlikely as I keep the key in the soft pocket of my jacket (which was on the back on my chair) not in a tight jeans pocket or anything like that.

This has got me quite shaken up. I have owned many cars with remote trunk opening, including several BMWs with the same style key and I've never had it happen before.

I'm sure I read someone else had a similar experience?
Is it possible to get any data on how/when the door opening was triggered from the ODB interface?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #2
ep22jg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

This happened to me 2 nights ago. Luckily I was at home and one of my neighbours knocked to tell me!!
I assumed the button got pressed when the key was in my trouser pocket!!

Has made me think though!
      01-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #3
BMWGuySweden
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Happened once to me when stopping at a red light. Had the key in my jeans pocket. Bought a key protector and hasn't happened since
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 10:41 AM   #4
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep

I've realized this is the only vehicle I've owned so far with the feature that opens the trunk when you wave your foot under the rear bumper. I wonder if the key is just close enough (I am about 50 yards away, but with clear line of sight) to allow that feature to be enabled and something is triggering the sensor?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 10:51 AM   #5
Pretzel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Happened to me several times. Fortunately in my garage and no damage to the trunk that some people have had when it hits wall or garage door.

Suggest either the key protector or take vehicle to the dealer and have them code it so trunk does not open if doors are locked:

Problem solved
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 11:02 AM   #6
Zembla
Rep
Drives: X3 x30i

You are not alone!

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1467688

In the end if I remember from that thread it was never fully narrowed down. The question was whether it had to do with comfort access (somehow the trunk opening because of something coming into field of view of the "leg kick sensor" in the right circumstances), or buttons getting accidentally pushed.

As far as the latter is concerned people resorted to either having the key fob reprogrammed by BMW to ensure you need to unlock the car before being able to open the hatch, or by getting some key protector. Although someone in that thread got a key protector only to then find out the trunk still managed to open.

If you're saying you never had this with other cars with similar BMW keys before then this may be cause for concern
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 11:26 AM   #7
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Sound advice. Can only the dealer do this? Or something BimmerCode or similar can do?

Is it possible to have the trunk opening done on a double (or even tripple) press of the button, rather than a single long press?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #8
MrPorter
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i, 2020 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersebbo View Post
I've realized this is the only vehicle I've owned so far with the feature that opens the trunk when you wave your foot under the rear bumper. I wonder if the key is just close enough (I am about 50 yards away, but with clear line of sight) to allow that feature to be enabled and something is triggering the sensor?
No. That's way too far for that to work. Not the exact same thing, but my wife can't seem to open the door on the passenger side if she gets there first while I'm walking around to the other side of the car.

That being said, you could definitely be in range to accidentally press the button and have it open. Happened to me at a friend's house while it was raining. Thankfully their neighbors texted my friend to give them a heads up, otherwise I wouldn't have known for hours.

I couldn't remember hitting it, obviously. But when I thought really hard about it, there are several scenarios where it could have happened, like when I was bending over to take my shoes off when I got inside.

It definitely accidentally triggers way too easily with the key fob, but don't get that twisted into thinking it could have been someone or something outside that triggered the kick feature without you being around.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 11:41 AM   #9
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Before I got my car, I read all about this issue. I'm still going to get my FOB programmed at the dealer, but in the meantime I just make sure in parking garages I don't back into my spot more than the "second" green marker on the camera guide display. This way, if it ever opens, the lid won't hit the wall

Last edited by SROC3; 01-17-2019 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 11:45 AM   #10
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorter View Post
No. That's way too far for that to work. ...

That being said, you could definitely be in range to accidentally press the button and have it open....I couldn't remember hitting it, obviously. But when I thought really hard about it, there are several scenarios where it could have happened, like when I was bending over to take my shoes off when I got inside.

It definitely accidentally triggers way too easily with the key fob, but don't get that twisted into thinking it could have been someone or something outside that triggered the kick feature without you being around.
Agree. Just did a brief experiment - started from 15' away leaving the FOB on a stool and tried kick-to-open, then moved it roughly 6" and kept trying, until it was able to open at about 4'3". So definitely not someone just walking by if you are at a distance.

Ever since we got the FOB cover as you see in the image, it has never happened again to us (and it happened a lot before we had the cover).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #11
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

Last night I pulled to the curb, took off my seatbelt, cursed and leaned over to pick up some stuff that had fallen over on the passenger floor (my dinner eesh) and noticed the exhaust note got a lot louder (and sweeter) - must've been an accidental button push from the extra pressure on my pocket where the key was.

I won't even keep the key in my pocket around the house any more after finding my trunk open in the garage a couple times.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 12:50 PM   #12
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

It happened to me twice, once the car sat all night at the roadside in a city street with the hatchback fully open. I don’t know how nothing happened to the car. I got the msport key cover and it has never happened again. I would like to be able to reduce the effective range of the keys operation. I do not have keyless entry.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #13
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

After having the $2800 in damage repaired after the trunklid got stuck on my raising garage door I had it coded so that it will only open if the car is unlocked.

There have been no mysterious openings since then.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #14
Speedbird1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3 2023 F44 220i

This happened to me 5 times in as many days just after getting my car in December. I fairly quickly deduced it was other things in my pocket making contact with the button, which may well also be a bit over-sensitive. Anyway, I got a nice BMW M Performance key cover for Christmas (thanks wife ), and it hasn't happened at all since. So I think it's very easy to inadvertently touch the trunk / boot opening button and the case definitely cures this element of the problem. Clearly if it still occurs after fitting a case, other solutions may have to be explored.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 01:41 PM   #15
MrPorter
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i, 2020 X7 M50i

It would be nice if the car would send a notification to your watch/app when the tailgate opens after the car is off for X amount of time.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 01:56 PM   #16
PaulE
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I prefer to keep my car unlocked when parked at home in the garage. After a few times finding the car locked in the morning when I left it open the night before, and the rear hatch open another time, which thankfully wasn't damaged by the garage door behind it, I bought the BMW key fob cover. Since installing that fob cover, there have been no more unintentional lockings or openings. I have a factory tow hitch so my rear hatch didn't open by any inadvertent kicks under the rear bumper.
Appreciate 1
sahajesh2294.00
      01-17-2019, 03:17 PM   #17
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnj View Post
After having the $2800 in damage repaired after the trunklid got stuck on my raising garage door I had it coded so that it will only open if the car is unlocked.

There have been no mysterious openings since then.
I am about to code that with e-sys. You don't happen to known the fdl codes to change do you?
      01-17-2019, 03:31 PM   #18
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersebbo View Post
if the key fob has not been moved for a while, it should stop sending out signal. This is to prevent thief from scanning the code while your car and the key fobs are both at home.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 04:50 PM   #19
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
I am about to code that with e-sys. You don't happen to known the fdl codes to change do you?
No, sorry. I was a sissy and had Almaretto do it remotely.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 08:35 PM   #20
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

I haven't had this issue.. *knock on wood*
But can see it happening if you have lots of stuff on your key chain.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 09:06 PM   #21
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhidium View Post
I haven't had this issue.. *knock on wood*
But can see it happening if you have lots of stuff on your key chain.
Or, if the wife put her key fob in a stuffed handbag.

Key fob cover is the 'key' to solve just about all phantom trunk opening problems...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 02:04 AM   #22
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
if the key fob has not been moved for a while, it should stop sending out signal. This is to prevent thief from scanning the code while your car and the key fobs are both at home.
Only if your build date is 2018-03 somewhere or later, or if you had BMW replace them for you.

/n
Appreciate 0