BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-19-2019, 06:57 PM   #45
thestuarts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3 AMK View Post
This happened to me yesterday- went out on the morning to find the boot open. I don't have comfort access so must have been spurious button press on the remote. Had the same problem with my previous X1.
The key fob is very poorly designed. In my opinion the boot open button is unnecessary unless you want to impress your friends. I'm going to try and get it disabled by the dealer as it's a completely cr@p feature. Other than that I'm loving the car!
It may not be an issue with the key fob. Myself and other people have had a problem with the boot opening by itself without pressing the button. See the video I posted.

https://youtu.be/sbHDwudL8so
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 09:58 AM   #46
vicfei
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

Which BMW key fob cover to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keweenawbee View Post
Without reading this entire thread, once we got the key fob covers, maybe 8 - 10 months ago, it never happened again.
Is there a specific key fob cover to get from BMW? I have seen then listed on the BMW web site for either $23, $24 or $40. Pros and cons?

Thanks,

Vic
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #47
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicfei View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keweenawbee View Post
Without reading this entire thread, once we got the key fob covers, maybe 8 - 10 months ago, it never happened again.
Is there a specific key fob cover to get from BMW? I have seen then listed on the BMW web site for either $23, $24 or $40. Pros and cons?

Thanks,

Vic
Folks talked about the BMW ones before in several threads... Try these two examples:

Rear hatch gremlins https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1467688

Key fob cases? https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1501642

There are mainly two types of fob covers, one type let you press buttons through them. However, for maximum protection, I use the other type which is designed to prevent button pressing through them. The BMW ones are mainly the latter kind, assuming you are not looking for a protector for the Display key.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 10:50 AM   #48
vicfei
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Folks talked about the BMW ones before in several threads... Try these two examples:

Rear hatch gremlins https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1467688

Key fob cases? https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1501642

There are mainly two types of fob covers, one type let you press buttons through them. However, for maximum protection, I use the other type which is designed to prevent button pressing through them. The BMW ones are mainly the latter kind, assuming you are not looking for a protector for the Display key.
Thanks - good call on the cover that is designed to prevent button pressing through them. I will take a look at all the BMW covers that match that description -

Vic
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #49
Dan_80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I experience the same issue today. The hatch opened while I was on the highway! Shouldn't the hatch be locked while driving? Very dangerous!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:23 PM   #50
TheMooseMan
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_80 View Post
I experience the same issue today. The hatch opened while I was on the highway! Shouldn't the hatch be locked while driving? Very dangerous!!!
WTF?!
Looks like gremlins
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:41 PM   #51
MattXYZ
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01) M40i, X5 (F15) 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_80 View Post
Jeez... very dangerous. Did it open completely?

I’m going to try a test if/when I get a chance and can find a safe/quiet road. Have the keys accessible easily.
Get in the car and drive off as usual until the auto lock triggers.
Staying at low speed - for safety.
Press and hold the boot/trunk open button on the key remote.

I believe that the boot should not open because the car safety systems should prevent the boot/trunk opening while car is in motion and locked!!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 01:23 PM   #52
Dan_80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Angry

Yes, it opened completely! I had a short local driving before entering the highway. About 5 mins in the highway, the trunk just opened by itself. The car feels very noisy and hard to control (i was on a windy highway).

Fortunately, I did not have anything in the truck, otherwise they may just fall off and hit the car behind me! I existed the highway, stopped on a local street and closed the trunk.

This random opening also happened once in my garage (the car was parked and locked) one week ago.

Now, I am afraid of driving it. You never know when it will suddenly open again.

BMW, you need to fix this! I have drove several SUVs and never had this problem before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattXYZ View Post

I’m going to try a test if/when I get a chance and can find a safe/quiet road. Have the keys accessible easily.
Get in the car and drive off as usual until the auto lock triggers.
Staying at low speed - for safety.
Press and hold the boot/trunk open button on the key remote.

I believe that the boot should not open because the car safety systems should prevent the boot/trunk opening while car is in motion and locked!!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #53
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_80
Yes, it opened completely! I had a short local driving before entering the highway. About 5 mins in the highway, the trunk just opened by itself. The car feels very noisy and hard to control (i was on a windy highway).

Fortunately, I did not have anything in the truck, otherwise they may just fall off and hit the car behind me! I existed the highway, stopped on a local street and closed the trunk.

This random opening also happened once in my garage (the car was parked and locked) one week ago.

Now, I am afraid of driving it. You never know when it will suddenly open again.

BMW, you need to fix this! I have drove several SUVs and never had this problem before!
Luckily nothing bad happened, and you have warranty. Should be a no-brainer for your local dealer to help you out.

..and i don't think BMW is reading this forum, to get your request..
      02-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #54
Gary pa28
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
I carry 2 dogs in the rear of mine , that won’t be good I’ll be checking that out on the go

Not good
      06-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #55
anthonylin
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x3 m40i

hi,, my car is 2018 bmw x3 m40i .
I have bad experience to claim here .
I just bought 4 months ago bmw .
the truck open 4times so far by automatic without touch anything
first time rear truck open and hit my garage door
second time rear truck open while driving, fortunately ,at that time nothing fall down during the road , suppose if like some thing roll out at that time ,it will get big chain accident on the road for those cars behind me .
third time rear truck open by itself without touch again .
fourth time rear truck and all windows open by automatic after park in the parking lot without toch anything.
I brought my car to bmw dealership , they could not find any faute code and told me nothing they can do it .
I am very scared to drive this bmw now , suppose one day trunck open automatic, it will get big accident for other people .
how to do now ? anybody has any good suggestion for me .
appreciated help .
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 01:25 AM   #56
BatMeoW
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattXYZ View Post

I’m going to try a test if/when I get a chance and can find a safe/quiet road.
I have tried that in my building's underground car park and can confirm that the rear hatch does not open if the car is in motion, even if you keep holding the button. When I tried this, the doors weren't even auto-locked.

However, I have had experience of the hatch opening when parked twice before. I am assuming that both the times somehow the button on the keyfob was depressed while in my pocket.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 08:10 AM   #57
Pretzel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonylin View Post
second time rear truck open while driving, fortunately ,at that time nothing fall down during the road , suppose if like some thing roll out at that time ,it will get big chain accident on the road for those cars behind me .
fourth time rear truck and all windows open by automatic after park in the parking lot without toch anything.
I brought my car to bmw dealership , they could not find any faute code and told me nothing they can do it .
I am very scared to drive this bmw now , suppose one day trunck open automatic, it will get big accident for other people .
appreciated help .
Take it to the dealer and have them code the trunk to not open if doors are locked
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 10:36 AM   #58
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep

Talking about weird trunk openings..
I just popped the rear (passenger side) seat down and the trunk open! I was in the car with all doors closed. I have to try this experiment again to see if it does this again. Possibly I have pressure on the trunk door since I have a trunk organizer.. But it shouldn't open the trunk
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #59
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonylin View Post
appreciated help .
Windows opening is a "red flag" that the unlock button on the key fob was pressed by accident. Not sure if you have that option in your car, but try this yourself. Same goes for holding the Lock button on the key fob after locking the car, any opened windows will close down by itself.

Extending the logic, if you could accidentally pressing the Unlock button on the key fob, it's also likely that you had accidentally pressing the trunk button on the key fob on the other occasions. Do yourself a favor and get a key fob protector if you had not done that already,
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 04:36 AM   #60
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Code it to only open IF the car is unlocked first. Problem solved.
      06-15-2019, 04:43 AM   #61
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six Convert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 Mini JCW  [10.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicfei View Post
Thanks - good call on the cover that is designed to prevent button pressing through them. I will take a look at all the BMW covers that match that description -

Vic
I have one of these
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 08:20 AM   #62
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3M40i_Nev View Post
I have one of these
Me too, never had an unwanted boot opening since I got the cover a year ago, car done around 8,500 miles (M40i, one of the more powerful 2018 ones)
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 09:03 PM   #63
b.guggenmos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M40I Phytonic Blue

I also have the same fob cover. No issues so far. I plan on making the code change just in case.
1965 Comet Cyclone 289 4 Speed
1932 Ford Five Window Coupe
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 11:52 PM   #64
doulik3
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I just got my car back from first maintenance and had them code it for the car having to be unlocked for thr trunk to open.

Advisor gave me some bs as he said it might be the foot sensor but..i have the factory hitch smh
Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      06-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #65
lo_cheng
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

In case some of you want to change the remote control tailgate open delay, I just tried and found it.

already shared in the coding topic here:

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...5#post24921375
      06-17-2019, 02:40 PM   #66
Eulenspiegel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i; 1994 E34 530i

I don't seem to have key fob issues anymore, but I still get hatch opening during car washing. Obviously, that can't depend on the car being unlocked. Is there any other way to prevent opening when water sprays under the truck (other than putting the key in the house)?
1999 E39 540i
2011 F25 X3 XDrive35i
Appreciate 0