BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-14-2019, 09:50 AM   #23
eurobear
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 430d MSport Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM50d View Post
My car was £54k less than a year ago. If I want to get rid now, I’d be looking at around £35k, which seems crazy, for a car with 6k miles on the clock.

Question is, when will it level off, as I’d like to keep it, but can’t stomach losing another chunk in a years time. It’s irrelevant if you lease, but I saved hard to buy this car outright. BMW don’t help, with their incentives for people that finance their vehicles.

I know cars aren’t an investment, but this thing has lost A LOT more than I was expecting, in the first year.

Looking at the final payment on some of these finance deals, they value it at £25k after 4 years, but how realistic is that?
Who quoted you £35k?

Just a quick look on Autotrader for a 18 reg (assuming M40i) with nearly 8k on the clock, they're up for £40k and Autotrader are saying that's priced low.
I guess it depends where you live, but I'd defo say put it up for £45k and let people haggle, especially if you've got a good spec on the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 12:34 AM   #24
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 30d M-Sport Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by london_v View Post
Unfortunately it's the name of the game. New cars will always take a hit and as people have suggested above will level off in 3 years at which point you may go into positive equity.

I'm not expecting anything back when I hand my car back in 3/4 years time other than the smug feeling I was first to fart in the seats.

There are always exceptions, however. I sold my Cayman GTS for the same price 3 years after I bought I new. I lost £1000 on my Lotus Evora 410 after 10 months of ownership (this was only due to a quick sale).

And I went into the X3M40i agreement knowing I wouldn't get anything back, and that's ok because it's the perfect mix of practicality and performance we need right now as we move to a 1 family car for the short term (and plus I put in 1/4 of what I put into the other cars)
My Focus RS MK2 lost £1000 in 2.5 yrs and 20k miles!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 12:49 AM   #25
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 30d M-Sport Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaretFozzy View Post
£48k isn’t so bad. You effectively got £6k off a brand new model. Nobody ever pays list price for non-M BMWs, so I always take the RRP with a pinch of salt.

The X3s have always had strong residuals, though, so I’d expect your depreciation to start tailing off soon.
I would disagree with great. Average at best. My F25 the owner paid £50k. 14 months and 4k miles later I bought it for £36k from a dealer = £16-17k lost in just over a year (assuming dealer margin). Admittedly that was just after the LCI model was out - but still that is a big chunk of change.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 01:39 AM   #26
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1Fanatic View Post
I would disagree with great. Average at best. My F25 the owner paid £50k. 14 months and 4k miles later I bought it for £36k from a dealer = £16-17k lost in just over a year (assuming dealer margin). Admittedly that was just after the LCI model was out - but still that is a big chunk of change.
The large engines e.g. 30d, 40i, 50d and 50i depreciate the steepest.

Used car buyers are unwilling to pay a large premium for big engines. Concerns about fuel, emissions insurance and servicing costs edge people towards the 20d or 20i.

The difference between a used 20d and 30d F25 or F30 is less than £500. In a few years the same will be true for the G01.

Similarly lots of options does nothing for resale value but simply makes the car quicker to sell for whoever buys it.
Appreciate 0