BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum BMW X3/X4 Forums BMW X3M (F97) and X4M (F98) General Forum (2018+) Base vs. Competition X3M comparison

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-18-2020, 09:30 PM   #45
paliknight
fuck this field
paliknight's Avatar
United_States
1937
Rep
2,546
Posts

Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: everywhere

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
Amazed that you spent this much time comparing 2 SAVs in performance and handling.

You want a truck or SUV, buy American
Trucks, sure. SUVs? HELL no! Not if you value overall performance.
Maybe but why the fuck are you worried about performance if you're in a SUV/SAV? Lol doesn't make any sense. I would take an Escalade or even an XT6 over any European suv/sav right now. Utility, comfort and ride is all that matters.
Because I don't want to have to practically stop just to make a turn. Or slam the gas pedal and hope I can merge in time onto the highway. Or... you get the idea.
__________________
BMW family... for now.
Appreciate 2
Mehim75.00
clee1982686.50

      01-19-2020, 11:19 AM   #46
supershaft
First Lieutenant
259
Rep
324
Posts

Drives: 2020 M5C | 2019 X3 M40i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: nj

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
Amazed that you spent this much time comparing 2 SAVs in performance and handling.

You want a truck or SUV, buy American
american SUVs are all hot garbage. In fact an american car hasn't crossed my mind to buy since the 90s
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 11:36 AM   #47
AlexFL
Colonel
2924
Rep
2,322
Posts

Drives: BMW X3MC, Audi RS7 (pre-ord.)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
american SUVs are all hot garbage. In fact an american car hasn't crossed my mind to buy since the 90s
The newest Lincoln SUVs (Navigator, Aviator, Corsair) are not bad.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2020, 09:11 PM   #48
classyfast
Banned
651
Rep
2,219
Posts

Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
Amazed that you spent this much time comparing 2 SAVs in performance and handling.

You want a truck or SUV, buy American
Trucks, sure. SUVs? HELL no! Not if you value overall performance.
Maybe but why the fuck are you worried about performance if you're in a SUV/SAV? Lol doesn't make any sense. I would take an Escalade or even an XT6 over any European suv/sav right now. Utility, comfort and ride is all that matters.
Because I don't want to have to practically stop just to make a turn. Or slam the gas pedal and hope I can merge in time onto the highway. Or... you get the idea.
Yeah ok Toretto....nobody is racing SUVs, even moms and dads hauling kids don't do shit with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 11:06 PM   #49
GT500R
Major
661
Rep
1,128
Posts

Drives: BMW X3M
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NE

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
Yeah ok Toretto....nobody is racing SUVs, even moms and dads hauling kids don't do shit with them.
Yeahhh, there are no fast SUVs out there anyway and zero market for them.... Grand Cherokee SRT8 / Trackhawk, Lamborghini Urus, Porsche Cayenne Turbo / Macan Turbo, Alfa Stelvio, Bentley Bentayga, Maserati Lavante, Jag F-Pace SVR, X3/4/5/6 M, MB GLC/S AMG, Durango SRT8....
__________________
X3M Alpine White
Mission Tuning <- 10.81@127.6 (Dragy)
10.84@127.43 / +1912 DA NH Dragway
Mission Performance E50 Tune
Appreciate 7
paliknight1936.50
heavyD^21384.00
clee1982686.50
Mehim75.00
SRHinVA36.00
gblansten952.50

      01-20-2020, 12:52 AM   #50
paliknight
fuck this field
paliknight's Avatar
United_States
1937
Rep
2,546
Posts

Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: everywhere

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
Amazed that you spent this much time comparing 2 SAVs in performance and handling.

You want a truck or SUV, buy American
Trucks, sure. SUVs? HELL no! Not if you value overall performance.
Maybe but why the fuck are you worried about performance if you're in a SUV/SAV? Lol doesn't make any sense. I would take an Escalade or even an XT6 over any European suv/sav right now. Utility, comfort and ride is all that matters.
Because I don't want to have to practically stop just to make a turn. Or slam the gas pedal and hope I can merge in time onto the highway. Or... you get the idea.
Yeah ok Toretto....nobody is racing SUVs, even moms and dads hauling kids don't do shit with them.
You must live in a linear world to think there is no market for performance SUVs.

You must be very tenacious to think you're right and every other person on the planet is wrong.
__________________
BMW family... for now.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 07:57 AM   #51
heavyD^2
Major
heavyD^2's Avatar
Canada
1384
Rep
1,451
Posts

Drives: X3M Competition
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
Yeah ok Toretto....nobody is racing SUVs, even moms and dads hauling kids don't do shit with them.
Are you new to the automobile industry or just new to the internet?
Appreciate 3
Bufalo95.50
AlexFL2924.00

      01-20-2020, 09:38 AM   #52
BrooklynX3MC
Major
BrooklynX3MC's Avatar
United_States
875
Rep
1,056
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Competition
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Manhasset, NY

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Great write-up! Thank you for taking the time to jot this down for all of us!
__________________

2020 X3M Comp Black/Orange (wife's car)
2019 Audi RS5 Sportback Nardo/Red
Instagram: Bklyngarage Follow me!
Appreciate 2
clee1982686.50
Mehim75.00

      02-28-2020, 06:16 PM   #53
Transfer
Brigadier General
Transfer's Avatar
United_States
3107
Rep
4,757
Posts

Drives: M340i, X3M Comp
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Issaquah, WA

iTrader: (1)

So I test drove an X3M base on 21s with the Continental tires today. It was my first X3M drive and I also drove an M40i for comparison. I found the X3M suspension to be very reasonable regarding comfort, and I drove on multiple road surfaces including a very cratered intersection with potholes that would swallow pedestrians. At no time did I find it busy or crashy like my E9x competition M3s. I did notice small bumps come into the cabin more than the M40i, such as lane turtles but this wasn't a problem and again was less than my M3 experiences. The Conti tires were crap in our 45F weather today though with traction control limiting power constantly and I even spun up the front tires accelerating moderately from stop while turning left. I absolutely would not keep those tires if I bought one with them. Another thing is the base exhaust was nothing special and would be a disappointment to me if I went with a base.

An X3M Comp was not available to me today but I would prefer to buy that as I want all the doodads of the comp model. So now I'm wondering if it's that much different for comfort. I would have not problem with the suspension in the base M. I guess according to the OP it is different but I'll have to test drive one myself.
Appreciate 2
Ilyam5524.00
DAC1748.50

      02-29-2020, 06:17 AM   #54
trey100
Colonel
trey100's Avatar
796
Rep
2,290
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
So I test drove an X3M base on 21s with the Continental tires today. It was my first X3M drive and I also drove an M40i for comparison. I found the X3M suspension to be very reasonable regarding comfort, and I drove on multiple road surfaces including a very cratered intersection with potholes that would swallow pedestrians. At no time did I find it busy or crashy like my E9x competition M3s. I did notice small bumps come into the cabin more than the M40i, such as lane turtles but this wasn't a problem and again was less than my M3 experiences. The Conti tires were crap in our 45F weather today though with traction control limiting power constantly and I even spun up the front tires accelerating moderately from stop while turning left. I absolutely would not keep those tires if I bought one with them. Another thing is the base exhaust was nothing special and would be a disappointment to me if I went with a base.

An X3M Comp was not available to me today but I would prefer to buy that as I want all the doodads of the comp model. So now I'm wondering if it's that much different for comfort. I would have not problem with the suspension in the base M. I guess according to the OP it is different but I'll have to test drive one myself.
How did you find the M40 in comparison? So haven't had time to drive either but wondering how to 2020 with upgraded B58 compares.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 09:21 AM   #55
Wills2
Barge driver
Wills2's Avatar
United Kingdom
6361
Rep
10,645
Posts

Drives: X3M
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: West Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535i MSport View Post
Ok, I was being lazy...😀
Thing is BMW aren't wrong, Alpina will sell maybe a 300-400 of those if they are lucky across the world that's not a market BMW wants or needs to address, but wait they do! You can have a near 400hp M340i xdrive touring for 1/2 the price of the Alpina...Seems like they do know their customer base after all....but it's one that is willing to spend 40k on a 3 series touring not 80k.
__________________
X3M/Z4C, Gone G11 740d xdrive/F80 M3/F10 M5/F31 335d/e92 M3 x 2/F10 520d x 2/997 C2S/e46 M3/e46 320d/SL320/Touareg 3.2V6/Audi allroad 2.7TDi
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 09:41 AM   #56
Ilyam5
Captain
524
Rep
802
Posts

Drives: 06 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ma

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
So I test drove an X3M base on 21s with the Continental tires today. It was my first X3M drive and I also drove an M40i for comparison. I found the X3M suspension to be very reasonable regarding comfort, and I drove on multiple road surfaces including a very cratered intersection with potholes that would swallow pedestrians. At no time did I find it busy or crashy like my E9x competition M3s. I did notice small bumps come into the cabin more than the M40i, such as lane turtles but this wasn't a problem and again was less than my M3 experiences. The Conti tires were crap in our 45F weather today though with traction control limiting power constantly and I even spun up the front tires accelerating moderately from stop while turning left. I absolutely would not keep those tires if I bought one with them. Another thing is the base exhaust was nothing special and would be a disappointment to me if I went with a base.

An X3M Comp was not available to me today but I would prefer to buy that as I want all the doodads of the comp model. So now I'm wondering if it's that much different for comfort. I would have not problem with the suspension in the base M. I guess according to the OP it is different but I'll have to test drive one myself.

Good review.
I would definitely go with X3M base.

20" wheels are a must in US war zone roads.
Lighter package, more tire choices and cheaper rubber does not hurt either


Softer suspension is welcome as well _ since its the most heard of complaint about this car

Regular seats for sure vs M seats for
- rear legroom
- visibility
- more comfort on bolsters digging into legs

Quieter exhaust is not bad either - not to piss of the neighbors in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 04:15 PM   #57
Transfer
Brigadier General
Transfer's Avatar
United_States
3107
Rep
4,757
Posts

Drives: M340i, X3M Comp
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Issaquah, WA

iTrader: (1)

I drove a comp model today and it felt surprisingly different than the base, but not in the way I expected. The suspension felt marginally more stiff which was fine, but it also felt faster than the base X3M I drove. All the extra power of the comp comes above 6k RPMs which I did not hit today but it just felt more eager to get going. Maybe I drove it differently and I certainly was not driving it in traffic today while there was some traffic when I drove the base, but my comp test drive was noticeably more fun and I got a better idea of how very fast this SUV can be.

I think it was just a fluke but I was a little underwhelmed with the power during my base test drive and very satisfied with the power during the comp test drive. I do think going on 2 or more test drives is critical with any car though and this is probably confirmation of that.

Beyond this subjective power difference (probably not real), the handling did feel a tad sharper and ride comfort very similar but just baaaarely less comfort on the comp model. I did not mind this and still think the suspension is excellent, driving like an M3 but with more comfort. I took a long on-ramp sweeper and the comp felt more stable, possibly this is due to the supposed increased roll bars or maybe all in my head.

I certainly liked the black accent aesthetics of the comp model and the exhaust was louder/deeper, but not by much. I would be getting 21s and the full M seats in either model. All in all though I'll be going with a competition model over the base. The price difference on lease is so small once you pay to black out the base trim that it is a no brainer for me to go comp.

X3 M40i is off my list and I'm not even going to bother driving the Merc or Alfa as they are significantly more expensive to lease.

Oh and one last thing: Sakhir orange interior is stunning in person. I can't live without it. I may have to hypnotize my wife to get her to approve. Donington over Sakhir orange is my confirmed choice.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN928.00

      03-01-2020, 09:53 PM   #58
SM2
Captain
SM2's Avatar
301
Rep
936
Posts

Drives: gti
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Chicagoland (Northern)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I drove a comp model today and it felt surprisingly different than the base, but not in the way I expected. The suspension felt marginally more stiff which was fine, but it also felt faster than the base X3M I drove. All the extra power of the comp comes above 6k RPMs which I did not hit today but it just felt more eager to get going. Maybe I drove it differently and I certainly was not driving it in traffic today while there was some traffic when I drove the base, but my comp test drive was noticeably more fun and I got a better idea of how very fast this SUV can be.

I think it was just a fluke but I was a little underwhelmed with the power during my base test drive and very satisfied with the power during the comp test drive. I do think going on 2 or more test drives is critical with any car though and this is probably confirmation of that.

Beyond this subjective power difference (probably not real), the handling did feel a tad sharper and ride comfort very similar but just baaaarely less comfort on the comp model. I did not mind this and still think the suspension is excellent, driving like an M3 but with more comfort. I took a long on-ramp sweeper and the comp felt more stable, possibly this is due to the supposed increased roll bars or maybe all in my head.

I certainly liked the black accent aesthetics of the comp model and the exhaust was louder/deeper, but not by much. I would be getting 21s and the full M seats in either model. All in all though I'll be going with a competition model over the base. The price difference on lease is so small once you pay to black out the base trim that it is a no brainer for me to go comp.

X3 M40i is off my list and I'm not even going to bother driving the Merc or Alfa as they are significantly more expensive to lease.

Oh and one last thing: Sakhir orange interior is stunning in person. I can't live without it. I may have to hypnotize my wife to get her to approve. Donington over Sakhir orange is my confirmed choice.
That and the Tartufo look awesome!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 08:18 AM   #59
Young04
Private First Class
83
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: '20 X3MC, '20 X7 40i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I drove a comp model today and it felt surprisingly different than the base, but not in the way I expected. The suspension felt marginally more stiff which was fine, but it also felt faster than the base X3M I drove. All the extra power of the comp comes above 6k RPMs which I did not hit today but it just felt more eager to get going. Maybe I drove it differently and I certainly was not driving it in traffic today while there was some traffic when I drove the base, but my comp test drive was noticeably more fun and I got a better idea of how very fast this SUV can be.

I think it was just a fluke but I was a little underwhelmed with the power during my base test drive and very satisfied with the power during the comp test drive. I do think going on 2 or more test drives is critical with any car though and this is probably confirmation of that.

Beyond this subjective power difference (probably not real), the handling did feel a tad sharper and ride comfort very similar but just baaaarely less comfort on the comp model. I did not mind this and still think the suspension is excellent, driving like an M3 but with more comfort. I took a long on-ramp sweeper and the comp felt more stable, possibly this is due to the supposed increased roll bars or maybe all in my head.

I certainly liked the black accent aesthetics of the comp model and the exhaust was louder/deeper, but not by much. I would be getting 21s and the full M seats in either model. All in all though I'll be going with a competition model over the base. The price difference on lease is so small once you pay to black out the base trim that it is a no brainer for me to go comp.

X3 M40i is off my list and I'm not even going to bother driving the Merc or Alfa as they are significantly more expensive to lease.

Oh and one last thing: Sakhir orange interior is stunning in person. I can't live without it. I may have to hypnotize my wife to get her to approve. Donington over Sakhir orange is my confirmed choice.
I've only driven the Comp and found that you really have to go after it to make it feel fast. In every day driving (<3500rpm), the car feels rather ordinary. Suspension was fine for me. Noise bothered me more than anything.
__________________
2020 X7 40i
2020 X3M Competition
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
2017 Pacifica Limited
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 11:03 AM   #60
Influence
First Lieutenant
273
Rep
343
Posts

Drives: 2017 340i, 2016 X5 35i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (4)

Well, I finally pulled the trigger. Brought home a base X3M on Saturday.

X3M
Donington Grey
Black extended leather
M Sport seats (after another test drive figured I could live with the slightly tighter bottom bolsters, though I am going to try to soften the upper seam that does hit my thighs)
Seat Ventilation
Carbon Fiber trim
21" wheels (got Michelins too!)
Executive Package
Drivers' Assistance Plus
Mobility Kit

On my drive home from the dealership I noticed a more supple ride than I did on my prior test drives while also feeling like the car was more agile (i.e. better turn in). I really think the Michelin P4S tires are the reason. My dealership had 1 X3M on the their lot that had the Michelins and I asked for them to be swapped over to my car (which I had test driven twice with the ContiSport 6's) as part of the deal. They seem to grip better in the colder temps too. Bottom line, I am very glad I pressed for the tires to be swapped.

I've already ordered the black Comp kidney and side grilles. While I would have liked to have gone for a comp, I still think the suspension on the base is better sorted. I will miss the better sounding exhaust on the Comp and the slight boost in HP, but that is really the only thing that I'll probably regret in the future. The power is easily solved (and then some) with Bootmod down the road.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL2924.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST