BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-05-2020, 11:42 AM   #1
X3in847
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 28i

2016 X3 long term and expiring warranty

Hi everyone, I think this is a suitable way to introduce myself. I've owned my 2016 X3 28i with the "m sport package" since new. Luckily until now I have not had many issues with the car besides needing the replace the original run flats at 2 years of ownership (20,xxx) miles due to leaking seals and tire rot. I've also so far dodged the infamous 28i timing chain issue. I purchased the car in June 2016, so I have about 5 months of factory warranty life left with about 35k miles on the odometer.

Question for anyone who has come up on their expiring original warranty without having the extended warranty through BMW, can I ask my local service center to do a thorough walk down of every possible place I could have a leak/ issue to have the issues fixed or am I stuck waiting until I see smoke coming from under the hood or a check engine light come on?

I feel like the factory recommended oil change intervals are too long, I've gone as long as 8 months between oil changes when I'd get the text from the dealer that my car told them it's time for an oil change. Now that my car isn't new and entering a period of no warranty life, what do you recommend for oil change intervals to keep the car tip top? I don't plan on trading it in for a while and would like to "drive it until the wheels fall off"...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 12:27 PM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Since I've never owned a BMW that is under warranty, no comment/experience w/Dealer inspection prior to warranty expiration.

Oil change interval - BMW uses Conditioned Based Maintenance, so things like the oil change interval are calculated by the car's electronics that take input from car's sensors. The car's computer calculates and alerts you at the time an oil change is to be done, it's based on your driving style. Shorter trips, more frequent stop/start, etc. = shorter change interval. More extended/highway driving = longer interval.

On my 2012 X3 (I have 6 cyl motor) I generally change oil/filter at 7-9K miles. There are as many opinions of oil change intervals as there are car owners - nothing set in stone.

I did pull an oil sample on my car and had it analyzed, see below. The analysis is basically looking at the amount of metal particles the engine 'sheds' into the oil - so this is a way to get an approximation as to the oil change interval and engines condition.

Good luck/Bill
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I don't drive either of my BMWs that much - 5-7,000 miles per year - so I generally change oil every year. However, in the rare case where I drive more I won't go past 7,500 miles or so between oil changes. That's less than BMW recommends. As for your other question, I would pay an indy to that inspection and tell them why you are doing it.
Appreciate 1