BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-22-2019, 02:04 PM   #1
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Driving assistant plus - touch sensitive wheel

Not sure if others have already noticed this, but when you're driving in (semi) autonomous mode (i.e. the steering control is active) I always thought it relied on some resistance of your hand moving the wheel ever so slightly to notice when your hands are on/off the wheel and give appropriate warnings if not.

However today I rested a finger EVER so lightly on the wheel (zero force) for some time and no warning - therefore it must be some form of capacitive detection!

Kewl? So if I chop my finger off I can get full autonomy? Not that (a) I'd do that or (b) I'd trust the bastard as far as I could throw it ;-)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #2
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Yup, that’s what I found as well. Just a light touch keeps it going. Kind of nice. My Acura requires active steering inputs every 15 seconds so it is a PITA.

I will say that lane keeping is stupid drunk at this point with 300 miles. It just wanders back and forth. Maybe when it learns a bit more it will wander less. But if it ever hits a line, big mamma steps in and aggressively puts it back in the middle. So we are driving with just the whatever it’s called that keeps you from running off the road mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 03:13 PM   #3
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Yup, that’s what I found as well. Just a light touch keeps it going. Kind of nice. My Acura requires active steering inputs every 15 seconds so it is a PITA.

I will say that lane keeping is stupid drunk at this point with 300 miles. It just wanders back and forth. Maybe when it learns a bit more it will wander less. But if it ever hits a line, big mamma steps in and aggressively puts it back in the middle. So we are driving with just the whatever it’s called that keeps you from running off the road mode.
"I will say that lane keeping is stupid drunk at this point with 300 miles"

Dude - that shit don't ever stop - I'm on 13k miles and still shit scared if the 5-0 see me I'm gonna get pulled for being high.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 03:43 PM   #4
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
"I will say that lane keeping is stupid drunk at this point with 300 miles"

Dude - that shit don't ever stop - I'm on 13k miles and still shit scared if the 5-0 see me I'm gonna get pulled for being high.
Well that sucks. I was hoping (based on no data) that it would get better. Oh well.

My Acura does a great job of keeping me between the lines as long as the road isn't too curvy. Really nice for long drives except you have to move the steering wheel every 15 seconds. But it sucks at the lane departure stuff. It will gladly run off the road with nary a wiggle of the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 07:01 PM   #5
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

"Stupid Drunk" - Colorful & Mostly Accurate Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post

I'm at 6k miles. What you describe is the way the system works for me too. It completely loses it's way as you pass freeway entrances and exits. My understanding is that Tesla's pretty much drive themselves. I was (I guess naively) expecting something like that. The BMW system is a big disappointment. The system is somewhat helpful on long drives and in crosswinds provided that the highway striping is in good condition. My wife can tell when I'm using the feature and doesn't care for it because of the way the car wanders in the lane.