BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-18-2019, 04:58 AM   #1
MarkBass321
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 F25

High beam pin / wire on 2016 X3 F25

Hi guys,

I am in the process of installing a light bar on my roof racks as I do a fair bit of country driving and I need to be able to see the wildlife / kangaroos on the road at night.

The light kit came with a wiring harness that I need to hook into the high beam wire. I cant find anything on here that identifies the high beam wire or pin in any of the tech manuals. There are a couple of references to pin 5 or 6 but nothing clear. I believe mine has the bi-xenon lights as standard as it the M spec.

I dont mind looking for it with a multimeter I just dont want to trip the controller and start throwing fault codes..

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #2
x3sm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 Porsche

On the PRE-LCI models the high-beam shutter is controlled through pin/wire 6. On the LCI models 2016+ there is no one wire, they are controlled by the FRM through the module in the headlight. There is still a wire from shutter to control module, but its inside the headlight. You can potentially tap into it. If you remove the headlight and remove the round cover on the back, you will see 2 black wires running across, one of them is ground and the other one sends signal to shutter, thats the one you need to tap. You can run your tap wire to outside of the headlight through an empty pin socket, but it will be a major pain since inside headlight is tight area. Hope that helps.
AUDI S4: SOLD
BMW E92 335: SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 07:21 AM   #3
MarkBass321
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 F25

The lights I have are the bi-xenon / no shutter, the bulb itself has two positions, hi/low.

On my model it is controlled through pin 6 on the left side headlamp, this has 12 volts on high beam.

For my purposes I ran the wiring harness which has a 60amp relay to switch the light bar on when the high beam is active. However I ran a secondary 12v 10amp relay to trigger the main relay, the main purpose of this was to ensure that the main relay didnt draw too much power from pin 6 and trigger a fault. The smaller relay only draws 30milliamps to activate it.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 03:11 PM   #4
x3sm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBass321 View Post
The lights I have are the bi-xenon / no shutter, the bulb itself has two positions, hi/low.

On my model it is controlled through pin 6 on the left side headlamp, this has 12 volts on high beam.

For my purposes I ran the wiring harness which has a 60amp relay to switch the light bar on when the high beam is active. However I ran a secondary 12v 10amp relay to trigger the main relay, the main purpose of this was to ensure that the main relay didnt draw too much power from pin 6 and trigger a fault. The smaller relay only draws 30milliamps to activate it.
How do you know it's controlled by pin 6? Did you test it? LCI bi-xenon headlight have a shutter, it's the same bulb in the projector. Also LCI headlight don't have a pin in socket 6. See attached pic.
Attached Images

AUDI S4: SOLD
BMW E92 335: SOLD
Appreciate 0