BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-17-2016, 12:56 AM   #23
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba ba boosh View Post
I switched from run flat to non run flat on my E90 and it made a world of difference. The ride is less bumpier and you don't get that whooshing noise when you drive on the road.
I fancy that. In two months I'll move to a house with a garage and will have a place to store the runflat. Now I just need to convince my other half that it's worth spending the money.
      12-17-2016, 07:37 AM   #24
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mposter View Post
I went 20" but kept the same side wall ratio as 19". So my tire size is 245/45/20. Yes it is slightly taller but all 4 are the same. Run flats are hard and cornering is confident. Non run flats are softer and you must take turns slower. They do however feel better for everyday driving.
Wouldn't good performance tires (like DW, not DWS) provide the same cornering confidence as run flats due to the stiffer sidewalls? I'm considering moving to non run flats but concerned about the loss in performance and handling. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 07:50 AM   #25
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mposter View Post
I went 20" but kept the same side wall ratio as 19". So my tire size is 245/45/20. Yes it is slightly taller but all 4 are the same. Run flats are hard and cornering is confident. Non run flats are softer and you must take turns slower. They do however feel better for everyday driving.
Wouldn't good performance tires (like DW, not DWS) provide the same cornering confidence as run flats due to the stiffer sidewalls? I'm considering moving to non run flats but concerned about the loss in performance and handling. Thoughts?
I went with all season scorpion Pirelli for my X3 . They grip well and since the car is AWD there isn't any slipping at take off.
So to address your concern about performance. You could try to keep a x/40/20 or x/35/20 profile so that the sidewall is smaller. That would help with cornering flex of the sidewall. There is nothing as stiff as the runflat's sidewall. Only summer/track/drag type are going to have stiffer sidewalls.
So on m 335i I went from 18" to 19" an went with falkens for the first set. They were thin as a rubber band but we're not stiff on the side wall. So it didn't feel solid to me. I then went with BFG KDW drag radials. They had a note of side wall reinforcement and the tires actually had the words on it. I then went up a size on the rear to give it a more meaty sidewall and raked look. It didn't have the reinforced note or lettering but handled about the same.
So you might have to make some concessions . No snow or winter weather tires so you can have better dry and cornering experience. Oh and I forgot too that the wear ratings are smaller meaning for all that performance your tire life is short.

I'm use to the Pirelli scorpions now that I don't mind the small loss in cornering performance .
      12-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #26
fusion0389
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xDrive M Sport

So glad someone brought this up, both my wife and my brother have 2016 X3's with the 20's. We're going between the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 and the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position. OEM Front: 245/40-20 Rear: 275/35-20.

The current OEM Summer Runflats are complete trash, loud, hard, and already cupping at less than 20k. The tires have been balanced three times since new and tire pressure accurately maintained per spec. I'm convinced anything will be better than the trash they came with.... Is there a BMW blessed solution for dealing with a flat on a non-runflat tire? I've heard that there are BMW genuine accessories available to help out in these situations.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 12:42 AM   #27
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Testwinner of Ultra High Performance tires last three years is Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
Non Run Flats.

Moreover it is chosen for the X4 M40i as approved tire - with the BMW * on those dimensions: 20" 245/40 and 275/35. M40i has BMW approved 12V compressor and sealent/slime.

Stiff sidewalls in RFT:s has nothing to do with sharp cornering - see Michelin PSS - only load bearing capability.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #28
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

+1 on the PSS however keep in mind the low thread life if that's an important factor to you.
I feel that the DWS or RE970AS will give you poorer handling and lessened a steering crispness, especially on sharp cornering. The sidewalls are softer compared to the PSS and to RFTs.

I am in the same boat as you: I need to find good summer tires for my staggered 19's and unfortunately PSS is not available in my sizes (245/45/19, 275/40/19).

After hours of research, I'm convinced that moving over to any of the popular non RFT tires will result in poorer handling characteristics of the X3. What has been repeatedly reported is lighter floaty steering and increased body roll during hard cornering. I can say this based on my experience using non RFT winters. I currently have on Michelin X-Ice Winters, which is a very soft tire and a purchase I regret as this heavy SUV now feels like a boat now swaying around. The tires feel disconnected from the suspension. I should have gone with a stiffer RFT winter tire that would have maintained the same steering feel as my RFT summers. Just to add, my past X3 (2013) had Michelin PA4 performance winters and while the handling was better than the X-Ice, it was still not even close to crappy LS2, which actually provided a sharper steering feel and better cornering, albeit feeling every bump and crack on the road. Hence, I'm convened sidewall stiffness plays a crucial role in the handling dynamics of this great vehicle.

I've been very happy with the Michelin Primacy 3's RFT (3rd generation) that came with my X3, however they only lasted 17K miles and I'm not repurchasing these $1500 tires again for this reason only; I need something that lasts longer.

I was almost about to jump to the non-RFT Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, but then came across these RE960AS RFT tires with a reported longer thread life (400 vs 220-280 for others) and excellent reviews, even amongst X3 users. Cost? Only about $100 more than Michelin's and I know that this tire will maintain the same or if not better steering and cornering performance as the Michelin Primacy's my car originally came with.

The DWS is cheaper but do more research and you will discover many reports stating that it is a very soft tire. I can't comment on the RE970AS as I haven't read into it much. If you are set on non RFT A/S tires, take a look at the Michelin A/S 3+, they are rated #1 on tire rack but cost a bit more. If your primary concern is handling and not ride comfort, snow performance, etc, look at other tires than the 2 you mentioned. PSS is the great tire and a great alternative to RFT, but you will eat through it very quick.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 05:00 AM   #29
Bettertomorrow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4

I had Continental DWS on my previous Mercedes & BMWs and they felt much better than other tires I tried until...I tried "MICHELIN
PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ (W- OR Y-SPEED RATED)Ultra High Performance All-Season". I cannot yet confirm its snow performance but dry & wet is just better than DWS all around. It is similarly quiet if not more, sticks to corners better, and does not have dead spots over night like DWSs do. I almost got DWS again but I am so glad I took the chance on A/S 3+.
15 BMW F83 M4, MHD Stage 2, CBC, xHP Stage 2, ADD W1 Catchcan, AA Single Mid, Eibach Pro, 12.5mm spacers, BMC drop-in with charcoal removed, other misc/cosmetics (Alpha 1 speakers, all exterior LED light bulbs, ambient light upgrade-center console/doors, Hardwired Garmin Dashcam)
15 BMW X3 x35i
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 06:54 AM   #30
Steve with a Tesla
Registered
Rep
Drives: Tesla

Different perspective

I'll come at this question from a different angle. I have a Tesla Model S with Michelin Primacy 3 ST tyres. I have fitted a set of X3 wheels with Primacy 3 RFTs. They feel like a superior tyre. I really really like them.

My take on this is that if you ditch your Premacy RFTs to go to Pilot Super Sports the performance will be far superior. But there is nothing wrong with with Premi RFTs. We just ran our RFTs to absolute failure with my wife driving several hundred kilometres on a flat tyre without even breaking the bead on the tyre.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 04:52 AM   #31
eliot3b4
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3D

Question 2016 X3d non run flats

I am really confused with the tire situation on my 2016 X3d. Last year, with about 24,000 miles I replaced the original tires with new run flats. One year later, with less than 10,000 miles on these tires, I have to replace these tires due to the wear on the tread.

I have a total of 34,000 miles on the car.

I'm thinking of moving to non-run flats. I'm looking at the Continental non run flats. I realize there is no spare and will get the kit to use in case of a flat.

Any thought? I do love this car, but another $1500 for a set of tires in one year, especially with so little mileage STINKS.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 08:13 AM   #32
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Look for a tire with a relatively high UTOG tread wear rating (600+) and you should do a lot better on mileage/wear.

I've run Yoko YK 740 regular tires and get 30K+ miles out of a set before needing to replace them- they are a smooth running all season design.

Higher performing tires made with with softer rubber compounds are just not going to yield decent life on these heavy vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 09:42 AM   #33
willyvv
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40I

Garage List
Hey there! New owner of 2016 X4 M40I, will be switching to non run flats soon. Can anyone in US recommend where to find either a good mobility kit or emergency spare (any advice on which would be great!)?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #34
phatkat90
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

I switched to regular tired not long ago and I cant tell the difference in terms of ride comfortability.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 08:00 AM   #35
hardparker
Father of Frankenfold
Rep
Drives: Yo daddy's 2014 X3 M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyvv View Post
Hey there! New owner of 2016 X4 M40I, will be switching to non run flats soon. Can anyone in US recommend where to find either a good mobility kit or emergency spare (any advice on which would be great!)?
I've got a Slime 70004 kit that I've been happy with. It fits well in the under floor cargo tray. I've plugged about half a dozen punctures with it on a couple of different cars. Toss a cheap leatherman style multitool in the kit, because you're going to need pliers to remove whatever caused the puncture.

Installing the plugs is slightly difficult, mostly from a strength perspective. I often end up using my foot or have someone pushing on my back in order to be able to shove the plug through some tiny 16 gauge nail hole. Note the angle of the nail when you remove it and follow it back in with the plug tool.

It's pretty satisfying being able to fix your own flat tire without removing it from the car in ten minutes or less. Handy, too.
      09-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #36
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
I have non run flats on my f30. I could tell a difference in noise and smoothness.
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 12:48 PM   #37
EricD735i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘16 328d & ‘16 X3 28d

I’ve had an X3d M-sport on non-rft’s for a year now, probably 12k miles or so. When we got the car from a local used car lot we were able to go into the BMW auction site for lease turn ins and pick the one we wanted which was pretty cool. The site advised that the tires were worn and needed replaced which the dealer agreed to do. We agreed to do non-run flats and they put on Goodyear Eagle Tourings 245/45-19 they got from their “guy.” Not what I would have picked but a year later they’re quiet, ride nice, and handle fine. I’m pretty impressed. Made the 1,600 mile drive from FL to MN with no issues. My 328d has the factory Michelin rft’s and they suck - loud, worn, and no grip in wet. I have a compressor, plug kit, and bottle of slime for emergencies, but fortunately we stay within a couple miles from home most days.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 07:21 AM   #38
wolfy
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

18'' P7 stock runflats for summer, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 ZP * 245/50/R18 100 H for winter (using another set of 18'' rims). I have the adaptive suspension, however the p7 are horrible. The Michelin, although run flat, are way more comfortable than the p7. When I'll change the summer tires I will probably go for non runflat or Michelin run flats.
Appreciate 0