BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #1
wolfy
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

Idrive restarts every 5 minutes

On a 2017 x3 f25 with nbt id5, latest update done via usb, all was fine for the past 2 years until yesterday. Left the car parked for 10 minutes, locked. When I returned opened it and drove as usual. 5 -10 minutes later I noticed a restart of iDrive (screen & sound off, startup logo and radio resumed). Since then, every 5 minutes, iDrive restarts. Tried updating to the latest firmware via usb, resetting or disabling bluetooth, resetting media unit (power + eject buttons for 20+ seconds). Nothing changed for better, still restarts every 5 minutes. 5 restarts after installing a firmware update (with success), it gets automatically uninstalled and the car continues with an old version.

After resetting with power off button and eject, all profiles and settings were cleared. Now if I save a radio station as prefered, it gets removed with the automatic reboot.

Navigation works as expected and continues even after restart (altough it blacks out a few seconds before the restart).

Radio presets are erased with each reboot, however I can save new links to menus using the radio buttons and it keeps them between reboots.

Car was not parked under the sun and temperatures were much higher weeks ago, when all worked fine.
Driver profiles and mobile devices are saved between reboots.

Versions and notifications received when updates are uninstalled are attached. Also tried other versions, still restarts.

Found this, but it's not my case, I use iphone and android

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=997504

Any suggestions? What could have caused it?

Thank you
Attached Images

Last edited by wolfy; 09-08-2019 at 05:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 08:36 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a while (1 hour to overnight)? Sounds like some corrupt software/firmware or worst case, bad hardware.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 02:27 AM   #3
wolfy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a while (1 hour to overnight)? Sounds like some corrupt software/firmware or worst case, bad hardware.
Not yet, I'll try to get to a service, but it's really strange how it started from nothing.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #4
aspame82
Mr
Peru
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 XDrive28i Xline 2017

Once, I had this problem after updating and putting bin files to have carplay. I forgot to remove the usb files (the ones of the update file).
Maybe you still have those files and they are causing to reboot once and once again.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 11:19 PM   #5
wolfy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspame82 View Post
Once, I had this problem after updating and putting bin files to have carplay. I forgot to remove the usb files (the ones of the update file).
Maybe you still have those files and they are causing to reboot once and once again.
Thanks, but not the case. There was no usb plugged in at the moment the error started to show. There was one iphone connected to bluetooth, but it was not the first time I used it.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 09:03 AM   #6
wolfy
Rep

Ok, looks like the restarts may have been caused by a flood of errors, but not clear what triggered the stupid behaviour. Diagnosis showed all kinds of comm errors and in the end the dealer's solution was to reflash the software (not clear which modules). Will monitor and see if other strange things happen. They were familiar with the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 02:29 PM   #7
nick_r
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
Ok, looks like the restarts may have been caused by a flood of errors, but not clear what triggered the stupid behaviour. Diagnosis showed all kinds of comm errors and in the end the dealer's solution was to reflash the software (not clear which modules). Will monitor and see if other strange things happen. They were familiar with the issue.
Problem solved?
I have identical the same problem with my 2017 M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 02:39 PM   #8
wolfy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_r View Post
Problem solved?
I have identical the same problem with my 2017 M3.
Yes, did not repeat since they did a reset / reflash of the media unit.
I am however enjoying another issues, not related to this one - 30k km and the gearbox hesitates at low rev or reverse the joys of bmw.
Appreciate 0