BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-09-2019, 02:13 PM   #1
GordyMar
Rep
Drives: X3 35d

Winter wheel advice 18" or 19"?

I have a 2015 35D M Sport with Sports suspension settings & 19" M Double Spoke wheels.

I am in the U.K. & am driving to the French alps through Germany this winter to go skiing.

As winter tyres are required in Germany, and now in the French Alps from this winter I believe, I’m looking for a second hand set of winter wheels & tyres to do the 1300mile round trip. Loads on eBay with good tyres for a good price.

Will 18" wheels fit, as there is much more choice, or do I need to stick with 19"?

Cheers,
Andy
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 04:02 PM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Bit narrower than normal tire is generally preferable on snow/ice. Go with the smaller diameter wheels.

Any requirement in Europe to also carry add'l traction device ( snow chains) in vehicle in mountains in winter?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 05:08 PM   #3
GordyMar
Rep
Drives: X3 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Bit narrower than normal tire is generally preferable on snow/ice. Go with the smaller diameter wheels.

Any requirement in Europe to also carry add'l traction device ( snow chains) in vehicle in mountains in winter?
Snow chains are compulsory in all the Alps I think, & in some countries if your car is involved in an accident, when it is considered that snow chains should have be used, you are automatically at fault if you don't have chains on regardless of the circumstances!

Still unsure if 18" will fit? I hope so as used 19" sets are double the price of 18"
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 05:15 PM   #4
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

18" will fit, just insure hub diameter and offset is correct fitment for F25. You can find wheel spec details at newtis.info site.

Koenig makes great quality chains; I carry a set when I'm in Sierra Nevada mountains (Calif) in winter- law here requires we carry chains in vehicle when in mountains in winter.
Appreciate 0