BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-14-2021, 09:56 PM   #23
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
All parts have arrived and painting to be done next week then install when time allows. I dropped by briefly today to view the cap strip - definitely not rubberized. Didn't take an image, but it feels like the stippled hard plastic just above our X3M Competition logo as you enter the front cabin, just above the soft rubber seals. The Staff didn't feel there would be any issue in painting it.

Will be interested to see how it turns out and will share images when completed.
Do you really need to paint them? Isn’t the plastic strip black?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 06:21 AM   #24
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Do you really need to paint them? Isn’t the plastic strip black?
I should've taken an image but it looks more like the dark grey stippled plastic with a satin finish by our front seats. It isn't smooth piano black. brunofernandez shared images of his Donnington X3MC without rails somewhere IIRC.

I suspect BMW designed it to blend with the rubber strip coming up past the roof line from the sides of the windshield, which stops about 4" or so above. Maybe they thought since the F98 roof slopes it would show more so those should be paint-matched, and just left the F97 this grey tint since it isn't as visible.

So although I probably could get by with it on my BSM, I'd like the higher-end aesthetic like the Porsche, AR, and Maserati models. And I'm the guinea pig to see how it goes before we paint my wife's Phytonic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
AlexFL7837.00
      01-15-2021, 06:36 AM   #25
S1ngl3t0n
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, Smart Fortwo, S1RR

I can share some detail pictures later.
In fact its not piano black and it doesn't look good.
I would also paint it if I would replace the rails.
In my case I will retrofit the black roof rails that I have already at home because I really need them
Appreciate 1
Max Well4742.00
      01-15-2021, 07:20 AM   #26
larsmin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
All parts have arrived and painting to be done next week then install when time allows. I dropped by briefly today to view the cap strip - definitely not rubberized. Didn't take an image, but it feels like the stippled hard plastic just above our X3M Competition logo as you enter the front cabin, just above the soft rubber seals. The Staff didn't feel there would be any issue in painting it.

Will be interested to see how it turns out and will share images when completed.
I should've also took photos.
Mine came in almost the same material as the windscreen gutters.
My painter put enough time while preparing (sanding) before actual painting.

Sorry for the silence lately.
I should've more helpful in this thread.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4742.00
      01-15-2021, 07:23 AM   #27
larsmin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:
Done
Max, I must admit, this picture scares me a bit. It seems we would need to rip the interior out to remove the rails.
Yes. It required for me to remove all the upper interior trims. Sketchy and scary at first.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7837.00
      01-15-2021, 01:11 PM   #28
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsmin View Post
I should've also took photos.
Mine came in almost the same material as the windscreen gutters.
My painter put enough time while preparing (sanding) before actual painting.

Sorry for the silence lately.
I should've more helpful in this thread.
Ahh, didn't know about the sanding part, but makes sense given the slightly stippled surface I saw yesterday. Too late for mine now, but I'll see how it turns out with a formal BSM paint job. I suspect smooth would probably give it a cleaner and higher-end look, so may ask for a pre-sand if/when we proceed with my wife's Phytonic. I don't mind being the guinea pig as suspect either way it'll blend in pretty well with the BSM, and has to look better than the 'horns' I've got now.

If you and brunofernandez get a chance, would be interesting to view a few close-up images of your rail-less areas, especially at the joint with the front windshield rubber flashing and at the rear by the tailgate spoiler merging. This would allow a comparison of the unpainted OEM rail caps and your sanded/painted ones.

Thanks again for starting us down this path!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 02:35 PM   #29
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

They will likely sand no matter what as part of the prepping process, and depending how much texture is present, between light sanding and paint thickness, there might not be much texture left anyway.

I'm having a hard time visualizing the OEM part being as textured as the interior piece you compared, without it looking bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 02:59 PM   #30
S1ngl3t0n
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Here you go. It was rainy outside so sorry for the raindrops...

I can confirm that the material is quite the same as the windscreen gutters. The texture is just a little coarser and brighter.
You can see this on my pictures on the transition.

Sorry if the pictures are the other way round. I uploaded them with my phone....
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
AlexFL7837.00
Max Well4742.00
allinon724923.50
Dobie Dog738.50
      01-15-2021, 03:41 PM   #31
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

OK the center part will paint nicely, but the side flaps are rubber, I don't know how you'd effectively paint that part. Not trying to be a naysayer, just an observation and some experience with painted plastic parts.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4742.00
      01-15-2021, 03:50 PM   #32
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

It blends in with the rubber windshield seal pretty well. I will probably keep them unpainted.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4742.00
      01-15-2021, 04:05 PM   #33
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunofernandez View Post
Here you go. It was rainy outside so sorry for the raindrops...

I can confirm that the material is quite the same as the windscreen gutters. The texture is just a little coarser and brighter.
You can see this on my pictures on the transition.

Sorry if the pictures are the other way round. I uploaded them with my phone....
Really helpful to see these images, brunofernandez - thank you for sharing. I went back through a number of thread pages to find two of your previous images, and I've compiled them together with a zoomed aspect of the transition zone. It appears my quick glance and touch at the shop picked up mainly on the surface being hard like plastic rather than the feel of rubber which has more friction, as well as the stippled feel (which your images show well, but thankfully not as rough as the plastic by our front seats).

The two vehicle views you shared have different lighting, so that the one at the top in the beautiful woods almost looks painted given the lighting, whereas the one at the bottom shows more of the dark grey color (which is what I'm trying to avoid).

I don't think one will see much of that thin black gasket to the very sides of the rail cap, certainly unless one were to get up close, as larsmin 's looks very similar to the aesthetic of the PCT, PMT, ARSQ, and MLT from a reasonable distance away.

Quite possible the BSM and Dark Graphite folks could get away without painting. Am even more interested now in seeing how it will look with a good coating of BSM, up close and afar.

Thanks for sharing in the discussion everyone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
S1ngl3t0n198.50
Dobie Dog738.50
      01-18-2021, 08:08 AM   #34
S1ngl3t0n
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

I have found the TIS guide how to install/remove the roof rails on the X3M with and without panorama roof:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...rip/1VncAstYir

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...rip/1Vnc3Slz4w

To access newtis you have now to create an account...If it's not accessible I can also share the PDF....
Appreciate 1
Max Well4742.00
      01-18-2021, 10:11 AM   #35
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunofernandez View Post
I have found the TIS guide how to install/remove the roof rails on the X3M with and without panorama roof:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...rip/1VncAstYir

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...rip/1Vnc3Slz4w

To access newtis you have now to create an account...If it's not accessible I can also share the PDF....
Can you please share the pdf for the X3M without the moonroof? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 01:55 PM   #36
S1ngl3t0n
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

here you go
Attached Images
File Type: pdf roof_rails_with_panorama_roof.pdf (4.12 MB, 103 views)
File Type: pdf roof_rails_without_panorama_roof.pdf (3.89 MB, 138 views)
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7837.00
      01-19-2021, 08:28 AM   #37
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

While waiting on my install wanted to also see how the F95 would look with rail removal and then with a paint-matched cap. As the rails are roughly 1-3/8" in height at the midpoint they visually accentuate already tall vehicle lines. And still not sure why BMW chose to leave the caps on the F95/97 basic utilitarian dark grey plastic, but not on the F96/98 where they get paint-matched strips.

The dark grey isn't a good look for an upper echelon series, IMHO. Can understand it as a cost-savings move (which may be why it's seemingly more common on other Mnfrs' lower-priced offerings), but doesn't make sense on BMW's M models.

Hopefully they'll allow us options for paint-matching in the future (and rail deletion for US consumers who can't even order one without rails now).
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
AlexFL7837.00
Dobie Dog738.50
      01-21-2021, 04:41 PM   #38
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

I was able to discuss sanding the rail caps before they entered the painting schedule. That has been approved, and hopefully install will be done by end of next week. Really appreciate the input of brunofernandez and larsmin for sharing their information when they did. I wouldn't have known to ask had they not.

Also, wanted to view the difference w/ and w/o rails in the F96. Quite remarkable, at least to my eyes, that removal of the rails changes the perception of the SAV lines so much. Almost seems lowered, even though the wheel spaces don't change. Seems to radiate the performance Gestalt more naturally. And note the windshield sides are also paint-matched in the X6MC. So it can be done...
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
AlexFL7837.00
Dobie Dog738.50
S1ngl3t0n198.50
      01-22-2021, 01:56 AM   #39
S1ngl3t0n
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

You're welcome buddy
I will have to wait to retrofir my roof rails as it's actually to cold to work in my garage. Maybe March/Aprli it's getting a little hotter and then I will give it a try!
I will then share some pictures!
Appreciate 1
Max Well4742.00
      01-24-2021, 05:43 AM   #40
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

While reading through the 'complete vehicle' tech document in the stickies (https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1623283), I came across this segment on the roof trim strips at p.12, indicating both F97 and F98 were to have painted versions, not just the F98. I wish...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 07:15 AM   #41
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Install is set for tomorrow. While at the Dealership yesterday getting my PS4S installed and aligned, I took some images of roof trim from other models. Every one has paint-matched strips, and the upper lines even get side windshield paint.

I also found two more of brunofernandez 's images with lighting making his roof trim appear paint-matched, from different angles.

Interestingly, four days ago on the G01 Forum chicagofan00 posted that BMW sent an email survey asking impressions of the rails (and the hitch). https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1793777 Hopefully they are warming up to the idea of allowing the rails to be an option in the US in future iterations, and will provide paint-matched trim strips for a change, in keeping with other elite brands (as well as their own models).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 07:28 AM   #42
ChipC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:

Interestingly, four days ago on the G01 Forum chicagofan00 posted that BMW sent an email survey asking impressions of the rails (and the hitch). https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1793777 Hopefully they are warming up to the idea of allowing the rails to be an option in the US in future iterations, and will provide paint-matched trim strips for a change, in keeping with other elite brands (as well as their own models).
I received that survey also on our X3MC. Asked about whether we had rails, if we used them, if we found them desirable, etc. Tracked very closely with surfacing that option. In the same survey, they also asked about trailer hitch option, need, and use. It does appear they are keeping tabs what additional options the market would like.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4742.00
      01-29-2021, 04:54 PM   #43
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Roof Rails Removed!

I'm incredibly pleased how the project turned out, with kudos and much appreciation to the amazing team at the BMW Certified Paint and Body business who did the work. The Owner of this large firm even came out to greet me as we came to pick her up this afternoon, commenting how nice it came out.

It gave me a chance to ask about the process, as I couldn't believe how full OEM it looked (and should have been able to be ordered this way from the factory IMHO). He indicated getting to the rails and actually replacing them was very straightforward, but the painting and prep work for such is where all of the expertise resides. Clearly he and his team know this process of dismantling, prepping and painting, and putting back together like the back of their hand, and I can see why they earned the coveted BMW Certified status (along with every other major brand of plaques they had on their walls). I believe I counted 8 or 9 different steps they took to get the paint applied (could've been more as he wasn't counting the steps, but rather explaining each step in order they had to do, so I tried to count as he discussed). He also indicated they sealed all of the screw holes as larsmin indicated.

The really great thing about using a BMW Certified firm - you almost feel like you're getting the work done at the Dealership Svc Center with the formal BMW brochures and folders (and warranty) they give you when completed.

So here are some images I took on the way home just a bit ago. Absolutely recommend this to anyone even considering, especially if you have this done at a BMW Certified facility. Definitely not something I would recommend DIY, unless you have incredible skills with painting and have all the requisite equipment, and even then, the abilities to dismantle and assemble.

Really hoping BMW takes a serious look at offering paint-matched roof trim on every X3 model going forward, be it G01 or F97 lines. Simply make the rails an option like so many others they offer. And seeing how every other model line gets paint-matched roof trim, they have already proven it can be done even on their lower-priced lines.
Attached Images

Last edited by Max Well; 01-29-2021 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: corrected 'rails' for 'trim' in my 3rd to last sentence.
Appreciate 7
spuntyb4060.50
AlexFL7837.00
Dobie Dog738.50
larsmin441.00
S1ngl3t0n198.50
      01-29-2021, 04:57 PM   #44
S1ngl3t0n
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep